Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 20, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #1,801 of 1,883
I have purchased another Micro SD card to try out other OS. On my PC do I use Raspberry PI imager/ Select PI 4 as device/ OS choose custom and open img file/ Choose Micro SD card/ Then write image to card

Is that the correct procedure as when I did this and loaded the Micro SD card the RED interface would not load?

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #1,802 of 1,883
I had bought the FMC mod recommended here in Head-Fi to test the Gustard R26, and since the R26 didn't convince me, everything disappeared into the cupboard.
This morning I had the idea to test it with the Red, and what can I say, I'm very enthusiastic :D

IMG_2548.JPG
I'm sorry, what is a FMC mod?

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #1,803 of 1,883
^Fiber Media Converter (those small black boxes in the picture)

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #1,804 of 1,883
I have purchased another Micro SD card to try out other OS. On my PC do I use Raspberry PI imager/ Select PI 4 as device/ OS choose custom and open img file/ Choose Micro SD card/ Then write image to card

Is that the correct procedure as when I did this and loaded the Micro SD card the RED interface would not load?
You have to use software like ETCHER to install that downloaded software to the SD-Card!
ETCHER DOWNLOAD

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #1,805 of 1,883
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #1,806 of 1,883
I used to use Roon + HQplayer to feed musics to Red via LAN. So is there any other softwares that can send bit perfect musics to Red via LAN? I don't want to connect my mac to Red via USB.
You don't need to install dietpi or anything else on the red. Just set up a logitech media server, and stream to the red using that. You can also use UPNP, tho that is far more complicated.

Installing dietpi & setting up LMS that way turns your red into the server, and you're then not using it as a streamer. I strongly suggest setting up LMS on the system that actually stores your music library, not the red. This will give you usable library scanning speed. Building a library over a network share is painfully slow and defeats the point of a streamer since you're moving all the computation onto it, rather than running as little as possible on the device (which is the entire point of a streamer in the first place)

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,807 of 1,883
Thank you for your insight. "HQPlayer & Holo Red" mention sounds interesting, can you write some more detail? Benefit of Holo RED might be it is also a DDC which I have in my system already. Other than that I can not imagine any sonical benefit over the Lumin U2 mini which I like to go with.
I should have mentioned that there is a difference in running the Holo Red OS which supports HQPlayer NAA or using the HQPlayer NAA image provided by HQPlayer for the Holo Red. This is a highly optimized software tweaking the performance of the Red even more. I have been using the LUMIN U2 Mini, also with some of the best LPS available (costing alone more than EUR 1200,-) but compared to the Holo Red with HQPlayer it didn't meet its sound quality.
I know it might be not easy to understand at the first glance, but the software is a major component in the overall performance. So it's not just about hardware specs etc.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,808 of 1,883
I should have mentioned that there is a difference in running the Holo Red OS which supports HQPlayer NAA or using the HQPlayer NAA image provided by HQPlayer for the Holo Red. This is a highly optimized software tweaking the performance of the Red even more. I have been using the LUMIN U2 Mini, also with some of the best LPS available (costing alone more than EUR 1200,-) but compared to the Holo Red with HQPlayer it didn't meet its sound quality.
I know it might be not easy to understand at the first glance, but the software is a major component in the overall performance. So it's not just about hardware specs etc.
and what's about Gentooplayers on Holo Red?

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #1,809 of 1,883
Well there is a number of other tools/images available. Though it's on the one hand having a highly optimized OS/image and the other is a highly optimized workflow (which the NAA protocol and the features of HQPlayers are). For those wanting to use UPnP a great setup is to use the HQPlayer Embedded image and the JPlay iOS app for frontend usage.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #1,810 of 1,883
I have had gentooplayer on the red (don`t ask me which kernel) and Euphony Stylus on my Intel NUC. That was the best sound that i could get from the RED.
I`m now on a new DAC (Mola Mola Tambaqui) and use the RED as DDC (i2s). The Red and the Tambaqui are connected with the Tubulus Concentus I2S Cable.
I can highly praise this cable - it is a no brainer for I2S (IMHO)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #1,811 of 1,883
Hey everyone,

thinking about buying a holo red. May I ask, if the following signal chain is possible?

Macbook via USB-C out TO USB-B in Red Holo -> USB A out Red Holo TO USB-C in Lotoo Mjölnir. The Holo should function like a DDC with capability of a Roon Bridge.

And what if I use the Ethernetport instead of the USB in, is there no DDC function working?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #1,812 of 1,883
I have had gentooplayer on the red (don`t ask me which kernel) and Euphony Stylus on my Intel NUC. That was the best sound that i could get from the RED.
I`m now on a new DAC (Mola Mola Tambaqui) and use the RED as DDC (i2s). The Red and the Tambaqui are connected with the Tubulus Concentus I2S Cable.
I can highly praise this cable - it is a no brainer for I2S (IMHO)
Really interesting I hope to receive the Holo Red soon and make some test with... Just a question where did you get the info about gentooplayers setting in order to you Holo Red via I2s interface?

Last question before Tubulus Concentus wich cable?

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #1,813 of 1,883
Hey everyone,

thinking about buying a holo red. May I ask, if the following signal chain is possible?

Macbook via USB-C out TO USB-B in Red Holo -> USB A out Red Holo TO USB-C in Lotoo Mjölnir. The Holo should function like a DDC with capability of a Roon Bridge.

And what if I use the Ethernetport instead of the USB in, is there no DDC function working?

Thanks!

that won't work -- the red operates as a streamer OR a DDC.

you just want to run roon on your mac, run roon bridge on the red and use whatever output you want on the red to your dac. there's no better way.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,814 of 1,883
sorry to ask a noob question

can I use tidal with hqplayer and red

I only use streaming with tidal, so how I can use hqplayer and tidal

I also have a roon account

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #1,815 of 1,883
Hello,

I'm having problems connecting HQPlayer to Red OS, and I'm getting some variation of this message appearing over and over again:

1713906670736.png

Those ASIO outputs are available as choices in HQPlayer desktop client, but the sound doesn't go anywhere. There is no Holo Red recogniseable as an output in the dropdown list. I have tried disabling the windows firewall on private networks and that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm not sure what to do, any help appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back