Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #1,786 of 1,871
Hi everyone - I just got the Red and having issues playing 768 khz upsampled PCM in Roon output to Wandla DAC via I2S. Sound is garbled/distorted. DSD won't play at all via I2S; DSD 64 plays via AES. Any ideas of what could be the issue?

EDIT: Everything works now as it should after Wandla 1.4.0 firmware update.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #1,788 of 1,871
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #1,789 of 1,871
Hello guys, I have come to a point where I want to upgrade several parts of my chain. At the moment I am concentrating on the source. Past few weeks I have red lots of forums, reviews and it led me to basically two ways I could go with my source: a) upgrade my PC parts (PSU, JCAT USB XE with either NANO or OPTIMO, USB ENHANCER) or b) go with a quality streamer (Lumin U2 mini, Holo RED, etc.). Can you please share you opinions on both of these solutions?

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #1,791 of 1,871
Hello guys, I have come to a point where I want to upgrade several parts of my chain. At the moment I am concentrating on the source. Past few weeks I have red lots of forums, reviews and it led me to basically two ways I could go with my source: a) upgrade my PC parts (PSU, JCAT USB XE with either NANO or OPTIMO, USB ENHANCER) or b) go with a quality streamer (Lumin U2 mini, Holo RED, etc.). Can you please share you opinions on both of these solutions?
I have the U2 Mini, but would go with HQPlayer & Holo Red which provided better performance.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #1,792 of 1,871
I have the U2 Mini, but would go with HQPlayer & Holo Red which provided better performance.
Thank you for your insight. "HQPlayer & Holo Red" mention sounds interesting, can you write some more detail? Benefit of Holo RED might be it is also a DDC which I have in my system already. Other than that I can not imagine any sonical benefit over the Lumin U2 mini which I like to go with.

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #1,794 of 1,871
Interesting find this evening, trying I2s from my new Holo Red to my Gustard R26 using Roon, so also a new AQ carbon I2s cable in the mix. And, well after a week I was a bit underwhelmed to find I was struggling to get used to the sound. Swapping out to coax felt a bit better, but really hoped to enjoy using i2s. Using I2s I found a little bright and brash to what I had been used to (R26 streaming over Alan), and sounding a bit too lean. Then I recalled a video on the Hans Beekhuyzen channel about using headroom adjustment, and applied -3db headroom via Roon. Adjusted the volume up a bit to compensate and hey presto the brashness was gone and I was back to enjoying the music again. YMMV of course, possibly a system thing of course, but a tweak that really helped me. And frankly a big relief.
I demoed the R26 and i would suggest trying its internal streaming input , it sounded the best vs other traditional inputs USB/I2S/COAX , it was smoother, fuller tho less details/brightness

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #1,795 of 1,871
I had bought the FMC mod recommended here in Head-Fi to test the Gustard R26, and since the R26 didn't convince me, everything disappeared into the cupboard.
This morning I had the idea to test it with the Red, and what can I say, I'm very enthusiastic :D

IMG_2548.JPG

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #1,796 of 1,871
Gentooplayer, because you can configure everything and actually the better peformance and sound of all OS (+ possibility to add the diretta protocol and many more with the available kernels/configs).
It is not free, but not expensive for what it is, and you can try it for a week.

Actually, I have the Holo Red + HQ Player + Diretta (as a target) for my HugoTT2 (via usb from Holo Red > SRC-DC > TT2) and it's a blast.
But I can use neutron player/Bubbleupnp via upnp protocol and it'is very good too, even spotify for the family.

You should give a try.

https://gentooplayers.com/

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #1,797 of 1,871
Gentooplayer, because you can configure everything and actually the better peformance and sound of all OS…

In your opinion, what can be configured in gentoo player that is not possible with DietPi?
Question because I have never tested Gentoo. I might look for a demo version.

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #1,798 of 1,871
In your opinion, what can be configured in gentoo player that is not possible with DietPi?
Question because I have never tested Gentoo. I might look for a demo version.
Gentooplayer is an OS dedicated to play music. And I think that all the players/protocols/configs are included for the best sound possible.
I tried a lot of OS (RedOS, Ropie, volumio, Mood, ...), I was on SOTM system before, but nothing compared to Red and Gentooplayer

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #1,799 of 1,871
All right,
i asked for a test key, and will report back after i tried out :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #1,800 of 1,871
Possibly interesting for one or the other:
It seems that I can NOT access the Gentooplayer web interface from my Mac Mini M1 - for whatever reason.
From my Windows PC it works without any problems.

I have now received a test key, I am curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back