Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #1,772 of 1,871
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,774 of 1,871
Interesting find this evening, trying I2s from my new Holo Red to my Gustard R26 using Roon, so also a new AQ carbon I2s cable in the mix. And, well after a week I was a bit underwhelmed to find I was struggling to get used to the sound. Swapping out to coax felt a bit better, but really hoped to enjoy using i2s. Using I2s I found a little bright and brash to what I had been used to (R26 streaming over Alan), and sounding a bit too lean. Then I recalled a video on the Hans Beekhuyzen channel about using headroom adjustment, and applied -3db headroom via Roon. Adjusted the volume up a bit to compensate and hey presto the brashness was gone and I was back to enjoying the music again. YMMV of course, possibly a system thing of course, but a tweak that really helped me. And frankly a big relief.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #1,775 of 1,871
Hi everyone, today I ordered my Red on MagnaHifi, it will replace an Eversolo DMP-A6 with linear LHY Audio LPS-A6 on board. I wanted to take a leap in sonic quality and needed a streamer with squeezelite support in order to optimally connect to my LMS/Daphile server. I expect a lot from this red devil :sunglasses:

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,776 of 1,871
Have they missed the sample rate output from the Red Coaxial in the user guide as it states 192kHz and Coax does 384kHz? I am thinking maybe those figures are for the OPT/AES and forgot to include the Coax?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #1,777 of 1,871
How would I use Squeezelite on Red to play music files stored on the network inside my CX SSD if that is possible?
Squeezelite works perfectly fine with RedOS... unless you're really trying to do something specific I would just run RedOS. Makes it very easy to switch between protocols and it's all ready to go. It doesn't offer many settings, but there's ways around that if one cares to do so. I'm running RedOS; easiest way to switch between squeezelite and hqplayer, and on the off chance that they've made any modifications to the kernel I'd rather run the OEM image as long as it does everything I need.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #1,779 of 1,871
Have they missed the sample rate output from the Red Coaxial in the user guide as it states 192kHz and Coax does 384kHz? I am thinking maybe those figures are for the OPT/AES and forgot to include the Coax?
PWCbkRJ.png

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #1,780 of 1,871
Coax in general is max 192/24
Yes that is correct. It's me having a Chord Dac that does 384kHz on Coax and the DI-24HE DDC that also does 384kHz on the Coax.

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,781 of 1,871
@ Chord DAC and Holo Red users: I am interested in learning about the cable media you use to establish the connection between the Holo Red and your DAC (or MScaler).

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,782 of 1,871
@ Chord DAC and Holo Red users: I am interested in learning about the cable media you use to establish the connection between the Holo Red and your DAC (or MScaler).
I'm using USB from the Red to my Dave. I'm running the Red as an NAA and feeding via HQPlayer upsampled to 705k/768k.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,783 of 1,871
I mainly go BNC into mscaler then dual bnc into Dave Dac. My first test was to see how good the RED DDC using spdif out into MScaler compared to my current DDC, the DI-24HE. My EX player has no Spdif out so that is where the DDC comes into use and the DI-24HE is my current favourite. It sounds great. Right from the start the DI-24HE was clearly the better DDC over the RED to my ears, I did not have to listen for long for me to realise. My next test will be to see how good the usb audio out is on the RED using PGGB files going dual bnc direct into Dave without MScaler in the chain. This was my main purpose in buying the RED using PGGB and HQPlayer direct dual bnc to Dave as there are two sets of dual BNC inputs so I can keep the DI-24HE/MScaler connected to the one pair and the RED/SRC-DX dual bnc to the other pair of BNC inputs.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,785 of 1,871
If you're strictly running HQP I think NAA OS is probably the best way to go.
For anybody else wanting to venture out from Red OS, I'd actually highly reccommend Gentoo Player over SqueezeCore/DietPi.

https://gentooplayers.com/Download_link/

(you can get 10day free trail, to buy it's 69€)

Also funny on the LED talk, I have the power LED and ethernet LED both disabled (these are settings within GP).
Running my RED in ramdisk mode as a Diretta endpoint.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 153915.jpg

If somebody can beat 16 PID processes running I'd love to see it.
(This can be viewed by running htop)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back