Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #1,741 of 1,914
I got one of the first Reds. I like it so much that I finally ordered a second one for my other setup. To replace Ifi Zen Streamer. Which is also a great bang for the buck but Red seems to up it a notch.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,742 of 1,914
Apologize if this was already addressed (wasn't able to find it) but how good does the Holo Red perform when in the DDC mode only? My usage would be to connect iPhone/iPad via USB into Holo Red and use it as DDC to the external DAC (Pontus II) to play Apple Music hi-res. Is this DDC part of Holo Red still comparable or better than standalone DDCs (Denafrips Iris, Audio-GD DI24, etc)?

Not every streamer can be operated as DDC only (e.g. Denafrips Arce can't) so that would be an advantage, but only if the DDC part is actually good enough in this comparison.

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,743 of 1,914
Today I thought again about the fact that the Holo Red is too beautiful a device to be hidden away in a cupboard - so I did a little remodeling :)

IMG_2448.JPG

Tomorrow I will go to the stonemason in our town and buy a small marble slab to put under the Red - I think it will look perfect.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,744 of 1,914
Anyone have insight as to why I no longer see Native DSD output as an option? I used to be able to do Native DSD without issues. Since the latest software update I am only getting
Code:
PCM - DoP - DCS
What is DCS? I am seeing this via Roon streaming and on two separate DACs, Holo Spring 3 via I2S and Eversolo DAC-Z8 via USB. It seems to be the same for other streaming methods as well. DSD will play via DoP, but the DCS selection will play max PCM rate but not actually play anything at the DAC.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 3.21.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 3.21.38 PM.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #1,745 of 1,914
Anyone have insight as to why I no longer see Native DSD output as an option? I used to be able to do Native. Since the latest software update I am only getting
Code:
PCM - DoP - DCS
WTH is DCS? I am seeing this via Roon streaming and on two separate DACs, Holo Spring 3 via I2S and Eversolo DAC-Z8 via USB. It seems to be the same for other streaming methods as well.
If you select DCS, does it behave as you would expect for Native DSD output?

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #1,747 of 1,914
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #1,748 of 1,914
Just took delivery of my Holo Audio Red from Elise Audio this morning, using I2S on my Gustard R26 with the supplied preloaded SDCard, using a spare cheapo HDMI cable, and happy to say it just works. Plugged it in. Found the ip address, Enabled Roon Ready and Red native Output in the (new?) menu. And Roon just sees the device.
Just wanted to say a big thank you to this forum for the suggestions and advice on this lovely bit of hardware.

FWIW, biggest initial impression is, well, personally I just like the sound a lot more, the improved 3d effect of sound coming from around the space where the speakers sit is really cool. Not heard that anywhere else before.

Rest of my system: Ladder Bach pre amp, Hypex Nilai power amp, Pro-ject X2 turntable to an Avid Pellar Phono preamp, CSS 1 TDX speakers, Audioquest Water XLR’s and Chord Epic X Speaker cable.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,749 of 1,914
Apologize if this was already addressed (wasn't able to find it) but how good does the Holo Red perform when in the DDC mode only? My usage would be to connect iPhone/iPad via USB into Holo Red and use it as DDC to the external DAC (Pontus II) to play Apple Music hi-res. Is this DDC part of Holo Red still comparable or better than standalone DDCs (Denafrips Iris, Audio-GD DI24, etc)?

Not every streamer can be operated as DDC only (e.g. Denafrips Arce can't) so that would be an advantage, but only if the DDC part is actually good enough in this comparison.
I have been using the DI-24HE to give me an Spdif output from my Antipodes EX player to BNC input into M Scaler then Dual BNC into Dave. Big improvement over my previous connection which was just USB output from Antipodes EX to USB SRC-DX and then BNC to M Scaler. Looking for an answer if the HoloAudio Red can compete with the DI-24HE using the Spdif output as if it does It will have the advantage of having USB output as well for HQPlayer and PGGB but I doubt the HolAudio red Spdif output will be as good as the DI-24HE.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #1,750 of 1,914
I forgot to ask can you use the HoloAudio red Spdif output in streamer mode?

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #1,752 of 1,914
For the first time tonight I'm using Coax 1--I have no idea what cable manufacturer it is because Tim at Kitsune HiFi sent it along as a gift with my original Spring KTE purchase back in '17 and I never used it. I'm getting incredibly authoritative bass slam, as well as amazing depth, staging and an extremely focused midrange with my chain like I've yet to hear via USB or I²s. could be my mood or just a really excellent listening session, but I highly doubt it.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #1,753 of 1,914
I will try it out after work and then report back. Thanks for the recommendation.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #1,755 of 1,914
Definitely looking forward to your experience.
When I awoke this morning I couldn't stop thinking about what I was hearing last night--and can't wait to listen again tonight.

I'll be honest, I prefer USB.
But maybe that's because I use DietPi?
If I have more time tomorrow, I'll try again with the RedOS :)

IMG_2478.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back