Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #1,726 of 1,855
Tried again to install the version from Magna Hifi on the SD Card - Roon ready 240216 - unfortunately without success.
Update don't work, and even if I try to use the version without updating, it doesn't work either. I make my settings, click on save, dialog window pop up, and the software crashes, so I have to switch off the device on the switch on the back.

Would be really great if someone could offer a newer version than the one mentioned above for download.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #1,727 of 1,855
Tried again to install the version from Magna Hifi on the SD Card - Roon ready 240216 - unfortunately without success.
Update don't work, and even if I try to use the version without updating, it doesn't work either. I make my settings, click on save, dialog window pop up, and the software crashes, so I have to switch off the device on the switch on the back.

Would be really great if someone could offer a newer version than the one mentioned above for download.
Try the 2G version and then update. Latest update has Roon, don't worry about grabbing the Roon ready image.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #1,728 of 1,855
Yes. That is your Spring. It is key that that is checked. Does anyone know if “Red Native Output” should also be checked when using Roon? I am just checking the USB box.

EDIT: I have both Native and USB checked for Roon. And I just did a quick listen to native and USB checked and just USB checked.

Sounds much better with both checked for whatever reason.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 15.29.44.png

if you are using a usb cable, then select the "USB -> . . ." option. if you are using some other output (optical, coax, etc.) then select the red native output option.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,729 of 1,855
This is how my USB Redirector looks. It automatically checks the Dreamus one (what is Dreamus?) when I Save and gives be the Redirector message. When I click both USB/Red and the Dreamus one the Native Red option goes away under Roon.

What is USB Redirector? I thought it had to do with the DDC way of using Red?

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 15.42.35.png

only worry about the usb director settings if you're using the red as a ddc (ethernet should be disconnected). if you're using the red as a streamer, then nothing should be checked in the usb director area.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #1,730 of 1,855
only worry about the usb director settings if you're using the red as a ddc (ethernet should be disconnected). if you're using the red as a streamer, then nothing should be checked in the usb director area.
Thank you. When I uncheck both check boxes in the USB Redirector section and press Save the “Dreamus” one becomes checked again. Not sure what Dreamus is? All works well though.

I am using Red as a Streamer using Roon. Through USB.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #1,731 of 1,855
@Sound Eq
When we spoke I walked you through exactly what to check (and uncheck) as seen below in my Red configuration page.
You should have no issue whatsoever using the Red in streaming mode via USB output. We have the exact same Red and DAC.
Let me know if you left the Red configuration page and Roon settings where we left off. If you changed anything--reconfigure the Red per below DO NOT CHECK ANY OF THE 2 BOXES UNDER USB REDIRECTOR >'Save' and you're done with the Red.

In Roon go to 'Settings' > 'Audio' > 'Enable' (USB ⟹ Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2.1 Enhanced) > 'Select an Audio Zone'--then select (USB ⟹ Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2.1 Enhanced) which will appear again but just above 'Select an Audio Zone'. Then on your Spring DAC select 'Source' > 'USB' input--and you're all set. This is exactly what we did over the phone conversation--nothing should've changed. Hope this helps.

PS: Disregard that my Roon settings for the Red say 'Holo Audio Red'--I edited their names--you will see: USB ⟹ Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2.1 Enhanced

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 11.19.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 11.20.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 11.17.55 PM.png

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #1,732 of 1,855
I looked back a few pages and found the solution to my problem:
Although my serial number is one of the latest as your's, i installed this version: https://josmagnah.stackstorage.com/s/Z3gU3ycnREPvPM4v after installing it, do all the updates (they are many) and you will finally end with 2024.02.16.

That's exactly how it works.
I think there were 5 updates, and in the end I had version 2024.03.27, with which everything works perfectly.

So my recommendation for anyone who has problems with Holo Red or RedOS: Install the above version, do all the updates, and be happy.
My serial number is also one of the last ones, I only got the Red yesterday :wink:
I think Magna made a mistake in the description of the versions, if I get around to it today I will write Magna an email.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-03 um 10.44.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-03 um 10.44.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-03 um 10.46.25.png

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #1,733 of 1,855
I've now tested HQPlayer - I've hardly used it since I got Spring 3.
I went to the Red web interface, selected HQPlayer, clicked save and off I go.
Wonderful, when it works, it works :)

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #1,737 of 1,855
First of all, I am pleased that DietPi now works with my RED. The problem was that the Pi4 module turns off the USB port to save power, it is also in the manual of the Red, I must have overlooked that :D
For my taste, DietPi gives me the best musical experience, but that could of course be my imagination.

I am considering buying a Holo Red. I want to place it in a cabinet, with only little ventilation. How warm does the Red get when using it as a streamer with USB output only?
I think I'll use the RED exactly as you intend:
IMG_2443.JPG

In DietPi you can display the CPU temperature, it's already getting warm, but I think that's still okay:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-04 um 10.19.46.png

But since I think it's terrible to hide such a beautiful device like the Red in the cupboard, I'm going to put it next to my Spring3 today, although I'm not sure if it looks good - we'll see :D

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #1,738 of 1,855
"Pi4 module turns off the USB port to save power" this behaviour can be configured/switched off, at least I know that from ROPIEEE

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #1,739 of 1,855
"Pi4 module turns off the USB port to save power" this behaviour can be configured/switched off, at least I know that from ROPIEEE
As mentioned above, it is in the manual - you just have to read it. :D

IMG_2444.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back