HM-901
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,501 of 3,522
Ok, how about a word about 901 vs Tera while you're at it?
Well I did not AB, and I would say it is not really fair as the Tera has a different function since it is approximately 1/10 of the size and double the battery, but anyway. I would say in terms of SQ the Tera remains special to me as it sounds very natural, but the 901 is technically more proficient. The 901 takes the technical abilities of the dx100 is terms of separation and airiness and soundstage and power and adds some of the smoothness and naturalness of the Tera.

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,502 of 3,522
Hey guys so I finally the 901 today at my local Shanghai store. Unfortunately they had only the standard amp. I listen to wavs that I usually use on my Tera with my Se5. I just had something like 30mn.

First of all on the ergonomics. It is not as large as I imagined, so quite portable, but heavy, which gives a feel of quality to me. On the other hand the wheel was broken and badly fixed which kinda messed up the experience for me. It also means the wheel is not necessarily solid. Otherwise the UI is quite simple and functional, but I experienced a bit of lag when pressing a button.

The sound...I would say comparable to AK120 in terms of quality, slightly better on some songs, because the low end has more authority at times and the mids are slightly smoother. Overall, I really liked the sound...the right mix of performance and pleasure. I would say that with standard amp, the difference in SQ vs. the ak120 really does not justify the inconveniences you have such as size, battery, etc. But if the sound with balanced amp is at least 10% better, than it is very debatable.

Oh not to forget, it is indeed ugly IRL but in an endearing way. My wife says it looks like a flash for a 70s camera.

Overall I am a bit tempted. I really do noy want to change iem cables though in any case, so I have a question. Does any other card sound as good or better than the balanced amp card with iems IN SE MODE?

I would highly suggest the minibox card. :)

It sounds better than the balance card in SE mode with my UM IEM.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,504 of 3,522
Quote:
I would highly suggest the minibox card.
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds better than the balance card in SE mode with my UM IEM.

Interesting as the minibox looks like it's a SE only version of the balanced card (i.e., OPA627 w. BUF634).  I was expecting both would have a very similar sound.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,505 of 3,522
I'm trying the HM-901 with RE-600 on balanced mode right now... very large difference from just SE mode. It seems to have stretched the SS higher and lower and just made everything pop.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,506 of 3,522
Thanks...which UM is that? Is the minibox not too powerful with iems? Black background?

IMO the background isn't dark. It has better soundstage compare with balance card SE. And better bass/tre control for My UM Miracle. Mids seems to be similar with the balance card SE mode.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,507 of 3,522
Interesting as the minibox looks like it's a SE only version of the balanced card (i.e., OPA627 w. BUF634).  I was expecting both would have a very similar sound.

Nope. :). You should have a try. And the creator of these 2cards are different as well. 3 stone, the creator of minibox card, has better amp manufactured experience than Fang.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,508 of 3,522
Nope. :). You should have a try. And the creator of these 2cards are different as well. 3 stone, the creator of minibox card, has better amp manufactured experience than Fang.

I had heard them all and decided to only keep the balanced amp, the stock amp, and the discrete amp. IEM/minibox sounded too similar to balanced card in SE (all uses opa627+buf634). Theoretically minibox should be best for SE mode as it uses 3 of each 627 and 634, while IEM and balanced board SE mode uses just 2 of each. But I just don't find the difference material and definitely not worth forgoing the balanced option of the balanced board. I also like the balanced board with my 1plus2 the best, and will get my silver/gold cable balanced as soon as I can get a quality trrs female to trs male converter.

Just my 0.02

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,509 of 3,522
I had heard them all and decided to only keep the balanced amp, the stock amp, and the discrete amp. IEM/minibox sounded too similar to balanced card in SE (all uses opa627+buf634). Theoretically minibox should be best for SE mode as it uses 3 of each 627 and 634, while IEM and balanced board SE mode uses just 2 of each. But I just don't find the difference material and definitely not worth forgoing the balanced option of the balanced board. I also like the balanced board with my 1plus2 the best, and will get my silver/gold cable balanced as soon as I can get a quality trrs female to trs male converter.

Just my 0.02

The three opa627 is the right way to do things though- with another for ground. Maybe the bottleneck here is the voltage and current- I'm not sure the hifiman feeds enough voltage for these amps to really be that different with one another.

But are you selling your DIY amp?? Sign me up

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,510 of 3,522
I think discrete amp = DIY amp.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #1,511 of 3,522
Quote:
I think discrete amp = DIY amp.

Yes you are right, and it wasn't DIY'ed by me.  It's DIY'ed by a fellow member on erji.net who said he have no intention to make more.  

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #1,512 of 3,522
Ah well :) worth a shot.

Anyone else noticing channel imbalance with the balanced card at volume level 3? It's really annoying because this is exactly around my ideal listening volume... +- a bit makes the music imbalanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back