HM-901
Feb 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #331 of 3,522
Oh well, i only fit one of those catagories, i am a previous 801 owner but.........
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #332 of 3,522
Yeah, I also own the HM-801. When I read about that company policy, then I'm motivated, to change by the next investition to another manufacturer. Fortunately there are several others which offer very good units too.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #333 of 3,522
Quote:
Yeah, I also own the HM-801. When I read about that company policy, then I'm motivated, to change by the next investition to another manufacturer. Fortunately there are several others which offer very good units too.

Take a look at ibasso. The DX100 crushes the 801 :wink:.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #335 of 3,522
Quote:

lee you also had a 801 or got a chance to listen to it?

I gathered this from multiple owners of both units. I've owned the 601 before which also was a no contest. I never opted for the 801 due to the rediculous output impedance, slug-like UI, bulky size, and cheap plastic feel. The 901 will continue this trend as the stock version will not be compatible with sensitive IEMs. That is a shame for a $999.99

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #336 of 3,522
I apologize if this has been asked before but a quick google search turned up nothing... Have the dimensions on the unit been released?

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #337 of 3,522
Quote:
I gathered this from multiple owners of both units. I've owned the 601 before which also was a no contest. I never opted for the 801 due to the rediculous output impedance, slug-like UI, bulky size, and cheap plastic feel. The 901 will continue this trend as the stock version will not be compatible with sensitive IEMs. That is a shame for a $999.99

Have the final specs of the production unit been verified?

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #339 of 3,522
Quote:
... The 901 will continue this trend as the stock version will not be compatible with sensitive IEMs. That is a shame for a $999.99

Where did you read this? Can you post the link please? Thanks.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #340 of 3,522
Quote:

Where did you read this? Can you post the link please? Thanks.

Watch the video ClieOS. Fang clearly states it in the video with Jude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrow5B8DmYw&feature=player_embedded

If you want the device to work properly with Multi-BA or more so sensitive IEMs you have to pay a premium to get that type of card.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #341 of 3,522
Quote:
Watch the video ClieOS. Fang clearly states it in the video with Jude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrow5B8DmYw&feature=player_embedded

If you want the device to work properly with Multi-BA or more so sensitive IEMs you have to pay a premium to get that type of card.

Oh you mean that. The current AD8397 amp card that is shipped with HM901, as far as I know, is designed to be adaptative to both IEM and full size. It is not to say it won't drive multi-BA well, just not designed specifically for IEM. IEM need more current than gain while full size tend to need more gain than current, so you can't design one card that will do both very well without compromising other aspect. I think what Fang is saying is that there will be other amp modules that will be better for a certain headphone type. But the AD8397 card should still do relatively well, just not the best there can be. I know they are making a Minibox E card and they are also inventing HeadAmp to design a card.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #342 of 3,522
Quote:

Oh you mean that. The current AD8397 amp card that is shipped with HM901, as far as I know, is designed to be adaptative to both IEM and full size. It is not to say it won't drive multi-BA well, just not designed specifically for IEM. IEM need more current than gain while full size tend to need more gain than current, so you can't design one card that will do both very well without compromising other aspect. I think what Fang is saying is that there will be other amp modules that will be better for a certain headphone type. But the AD8397 card should still do relatively well, just not the best there can be. I know they are making a Minibox E card and they are also inventing HeadAmp to design a card.

If you listen to what he says the card specifically made for BA will feature low output impedance. There would be no reason for him to mention that if the stock card will have low output impedance. At least from what I gather the stock card will work (like any amp technically can) but it will have high/er output impedance.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #343 of 3,522
Quote:
If you listen to what he says the card specifically made for BA will feature low output impedance. There would be no reason for him to mention that if the stock card will have low output impedance. At least from what I gather the stock card will work (like any amp technically can) but it will have high/er output impedance.

The reason why HM801's amp card have high output impedance are because they put resistor on the output path. You only need to remove them to lower it under 1 ohm. I have seen several picture of the new card and they don't have any output resistor at all, so I'll assume the output impedance shouldn't be high. Of course, the real confirmation will come when someone measured it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #344 of 3,522
Quote:

The reason why HM801's amp card have high output impedance are because they put resistor on the output path. You only need to remove them to lower it under 1 ohm. I have seen several picture of the new card and they don't have any output resistor at all, so I'll assume the output impedance shouldn't be high. Of course, the real confirmation will come when someone measured it.

I look forward to that and do hope I am wrong. But just from what he said in the video I am thinking otherwise...

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #345 of 3,522
Quote:

is this hypothesis applicable to HM-601/2 as well, ClieOS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back