HM-901
Aug 12, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #3,467 of 3,522
Yeah thanks to me I email them and they told me stock are available again but are limited. So hurry and jump on the link to secure your upgrade.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #3,468 of 3,522
I just got my HM-901s (through the upgrade offer). No box, no charger, no manual and no accessories. I was obviously naive to think that I would (at least) also get the manual, new charger and box. I got the 901s, screwdriver and screws plus a new battery (because I had the old battery type).

@ those of you who got the upgrade deal:
Did you only receive the DAP itself? (and if you had the old battery, also a new battery)

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #3,470 of 3,522
  I just got my HM-901s (through the upgrade offer). No box, no charger, no manual and no accessories. I was obviously naive to think that I would (at least) also get the manual, new charger and box. I got the 901s, screwdriver and screws plus a new battery (because I had the old battery type).

@ those of you who got the upgrade deal:
Did you only receive the DAP itself? (and if you had the old battery, also a new battery)

Only DAP is exchanged. If you send back your battery, they will replace it too but in my experience, it is impossible if not near impossible to find a courier service that allows you to send a removable battery to China. According to the Courier, it is the Chinese government who has made it very hard to do so.

BTW, the discrete card is now being sold as an official card in case anybody is looking for one. You'll need a way to buy from Taobao through proxy shipping or some agent.

Discrete Amp Card

The design is pretty much the same as the DIY version except that now gain works properly. I'm not sure if this is going to be a one off so just get one as soon as you can.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,471 of 3,522

Only DAP is exchanged. If you send back your battery, they will replace it too but in my experience, it is impossible if not near impossible to find a courier service that allows you to send a removable battery to China. According to the Courier, it is the Chinese government who has made it very hard to do so.

BTW, the discrete card is now being sold as an official card in case anybody is looking for one. You'll need a way to buy from Taobao through proxy shipping or some agent.

Discrete Amp Card

The design is pretty much the same as the DIY version except that now gain works properly. I'm not sure if this is going to be a one off so just get one as soon as you can.

I actually sent my old battery with the 901 (for the upgrade offer) and it went well. However, I know from experience that it is in fact impossible, or almost so, to send lithium batteries out of China - at least as a private person. My 901 had to be carried from China personally for me to get it in Europe.

Interesting about that discrete amp card. It says "limited" on the images. I wonder if it is a kind of test for the Chinese market - maybe before it it sold internationally in another batch / version.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3,472 of 3,522
Upgrade offer again available:
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=275

BTW: The HM901 has been gone from the Head-Direct site for some time now. Maybe it's discontinued internationally?

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #3,473 of 3,522
Well they sent me my machine back a second time with a repair instead of replacement.  (summary: first two units replaced by Amazon due to day 1 faults, 3rd replaced by Hifiman with the 4th one damaged in transit by DHL, 4th then developed the same fault as unit 3 and got sent for repair).

*) Did not change the battery cover which was damaged in transit last time by DHL.
*) Will not file a claim against DHL for damage.  DHL will only deal with the shipper.
*) DHL cut through the return package AGAIN and now I have a deep scratch along the side of the unit too.
*) Have not reimbursed my postal charges, out of pocket £60 so far just on shipping, now along with reduced value of unit due to the damage DHL keep adding.

I don't get the impression Hifiman particularly care about this.  Great product, absolutely shocking reliability and customer service.  I've sent a strongly worded complaint to DHL, sadly as the recipient there's not much more I can do there other than make public the damage they've caused.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #3,476 of 3,522
Hi, My jog wheel on the HM901 (Original standard model) is not letting me skip through a track (fast forward), instead i got to press the actual forward button and keep held down to skip, was working ok a few days ago?? the jog wheel does work though when skipping through playlistings/choosing songs etc, just not letting me fast forward through a song??? Weird.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #3,477 of 3,522
Hey guys checked the thread for info on the Fen Li card, seemed to be positive but not very detailed. Does anyone know how it compares to the minibox?

I did a comparison somewhere..

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #3,479 of 3,522
Has anyone dismantled a HM-901?

I'm tired of sending this unit back to Hifiman with the same problem every bloody time (volume dropping out in one ear until light pressure applied near earphone jack), so I'd like to take it apart and fix it properly myself.  The warranty has expired now anyway.  I'm very good at dismantling and repairing all kinds of electronics but I was wondering if anyone can give me an early heads up on where any annoying fragile plastic clips might be.

Gut feeling is it's some kind of copper contact which relies on the unit being assembled tightly and cleanly, which is conducting a signal and lightly oxidising, or the sprung nature needs a bit of extra tension.  Would not be the first time.

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3,480 of 3,522

You have to take off the top plastic piece by the volume control, the whole top. I have opened it but it was a long time ago. Just go slow. A small jewelers flathead driver would most likely be good to give more tension to the contacts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back