HM-901
Apr 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,496 of 3,522
  Running HM901 on 2.004. Every time after new start it shows empty folders. Using 128gb card. After endless database update everything works flawless, until the next cold start. Any known cure?

I had a similar problem: 
I used two 64 Gb cards working flawlessly for a year or so. 
Then all of a sudden the same problem (like you had) with both cards. 

I tried everything, and I mean everything(!) - all formats, all my files which worked fine previously. All firmwares, Whatever you can imagine in your wildest dream. 
I guess I spent 20 hours or so of my time on this frustrating process. 
Miraculously I managed to force to work only one of these cards - now in fat32 format only. 

It does work after the cold start without forced rescan again. 

Tomorrow I am buying one more card of different brand - to try my luck again and probably to spend 20 hours of my time on it again. 

And I am buying Cowon PLENUE 1 128Gb, they say it has the stable firmware with very few glitches and bugs. 
And having 128Gb on board I hopefully won't have to spend my time on cards but just listen to music...

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #3,497 of 3,522

On the other hand, I took another 128gb, exactly same brand, and through few albums on it. And to my surprise it works with no issues. So I might try keep adding albums one by one, until it comes to a crash, and then try to clean the tags on that particular trouble-making album(s). 

Thanks for sharing your experience! 
I bought a new 64 Gb card (but different brand this time). It does work with no issues. And it is filled to the brim with my flacs. 
So the problem seems to have been solved. 
I just don't know what to do with the previous cards... 

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,498 of 3,522

I had the same problem, but it was prior to the 2.004 firmware.  First, I would take out my 128gb class 10 card to add more music to it.  After doing this about 6-8 times, it would eventually show up as empty folders the next time I turned it on after a prior shutdown.  I grew tired of rescanning the card (which seemingly takes forever) every friggin time just to listen to the DAP.  I stumbled upon the solution, for me at least, which was to go to the setting menu and "reset settings" at the bottom of that list.  After that, the DAP worked just fine.  I haven't had this problem yet since I've updated to 2.004, but that's probably only because I haven't been updating my card with more music as often as I was before.  I hope this solution will still work!!      

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #3,502 of 3,522
Ok but certain power banks have a DC output 9V and 12V, other may have other voltages, question is, will the common plug they use fit into HM-901 or is it very special?

You get one proprietary USB cable (S/P DIF input/RCA Line out cable) which doesn't support the charging function, and a separate charger where the cable, (hifiman's proprietary something like Apple), is "glued" to the charger unit.
I've tried everything and it didn't work, except with the original hifiman charger.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,504 of 3,522
There is one point more to charging the HM901 battery:
It is actually two batteries, not one, and they are not equally big in capacity.
In other words, it's going to take more than a simple charger to do the job.

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #3,505 of 3,522
 I stumbled upon the solution, for me at least, which was to go to the setting menu and "reset settings" at the bottom of that list.  After that, the DAP worked just fine.  I haven't had this problem yet since I've updated to 2.004, but that's probably only because I haven't been updating my card with more music as often as I was before.  I hope this solution will still work!!      

this worked! thanks so much!

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #3,507 of 3,522

Hello!
I've just received brand new hm-901 and the thing is just freezing completely during startup logo, reseting won't help either.. Has anyone encounter something like this? I'm deeply in pain atm...

Hopefully it is working, if you simply start the player by pushing the power button for 2-3 seconds (don't touch any other button while doing this). Start it without any SD card and wait for about two minutes. If still no good, then:

Try reinstalling firmware. You MUST use a SDHC card (max 32GB), no SDXC cards. The update.zip file also must be at the root of the card (in other words, not in a folder).

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #3,508 of 3,522
I want to share my experience with the club of the HM-901 owners. 
As the story's about HM-901 then who else? 

I bought HM-901 about 1,5 years ago or so and used it for a few months as a portable player with Westone W-6. 
But then I went into a phase when I decided that HM-901 is too bulky and heavy and I'm not able to appreciate the sound quality when it's noisy around on the go and so I  switched to DX-50 and a smartphone. 

HM-901 was used at home as a DAC mostly with external desktop amplifier and HE-560/TH-600. 

But a month ago I bought a Metrum Musette and it replaced my HM-901 as a desktop DAC. 

So I started to use HM-901 again on the go as a portable player again with an IEM card and Westone W-6. 
I was absolutely sure that on the go I wouldn't be able to hear any improvements in sound quality at all. 
Because it is not the quiet home environment etc. 

But I was greatly surprised how much stronger I enjoyed my music. First week I thought it was just a coincidence, but the wow effect stayed and stayed and stayed. Sound stage, out of head experience, clarity, bass, separation of instruments, placement, everything is just great. 

Just wanted to tell how much I enjoy this great little thing. Well, it's not too little, but you know what I mean 
etysmile.gif

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #3,509 of 3,522
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #3,510 of 3,522
Thanks, Russian1. I have to agree with you. Hence, I still have my 901 and 802. Love them! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back