HM-901
Sep 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2,026 of 3,522
speaking of HD650.... I find that 901 + balance + 650 increased the sound stage quite a bit when switched on high gain... but they still struggle on the treble...

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #2,027 of 3,522
Bought an ipod classic 160GB just to compare with the 901. (I know that's not fair for the ipod)
Of course the sound from the ipod isn't at all inspiring (all mp3 at 320kbps). Compared also to the cowon S9 the ipod sounds cheap and nasty. But i really do wish that fang had taken a bit more inspiration from the ipods user interface. The ipod is a dream to operate, and all of the cover art shows! A few ipod UI inspired firmware tweaks would really take the 901 to a higher level!

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #2,028 of 3,522
It is a shame such a good sounding player has such an ugly and sluggish UI. The wheel doesn't feel great and I often press the central button inadvertently.
But I will hang around hoping future firmware will improve the beast as it sounds fantastic.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,029 of 3,522
Bought an ipod classic 160GB just to compare with the 901. (I know that's not fair for the ipod)
Of course the sound from the ipod isn't at all inspiring (all mp3 at 320kbps). Compared also to the cowon S9 the ipod sounds cheap and nasty. But i really do wish that fang had taken a bit more inspiration from the ipods user interface. The ipod is a dream to operate, and all of the cover art shows! A few ipod UI inspired firmware tweaks would really take the 901 to a higher level!

Woops! The 901 didn't like me posting that. It's just frozen completely :frowning2: I suppose I'll have to wait for the battery to run out.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,030 of 3,522
Woops! The 901 didn't like me posting that. It's just frozen completely :frowning2: I suppose I'll have to wait for the battery to run out.

Or maybe use the reset button.....

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,033 of 3,522
  Does anyone make a RSA to TRRS adaptor? I have two TRRS cables for my Transl 1 plus 2 and would like to use them with my 901.

Ummm....your TRRS cables should have 4 conductor TRRS plugs already, no?  The 901 already has the correct TRRS 4 conductor jack, so why would you need an adapter?  If your cables are really just the 'normal' stereo 3 conductor plugs then you must re-fit them with 4 conductor TRRS plugs and then you are good to go. You cannot convert a stereo 3 conductor plug/cable to 4 a conductor balanced cable with just an adapter. The signal lines must stay isolated (independent) all the way from drivers to the plug with no merged ground connection which is what 'normal' stereo 3 conductor plug/cables have.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,034 of 3,522
My balanced upgrade cable and balanced amp card from moon audio arrives tomorrow. Decided on the cheaper copper option for my HD 600,s as I think the silver cable maybe too bright. Anyone try this combination. I believe it increases the soundstage on the 650. The original amp card I received was faulty and 3 weeks later tomorrow is d day, can't wait..

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2,035 of 3,522
Ummm....your TRRS cables should have 4 conductor TRRS plugs already, no?  The 901 already has the correct TRRS 4 conductor jack, so why would you need an adapter?  If your cables are really just the 'normal' stereo 3 conductor plugs then you must re-fit them with 4 conductor TRRS plugs and then you are good to go. You cannot convert a stereo 3 conductor plug/cable to 4 a conductor balanced cable with just an adapter. The signal lines must stay isolated (independent) all the way from drivers to the plug with no merged ground connection which is what 'normal' stereo 3 conductor plug/cables have.
No my cables have RSA ends on them that would plug directly into ray Samuels Amp

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,039 of 3,522
Nope but aren't they like 600 dollars at least? Besides the 901 is already a bit slow with 128gb so I think 256 will be very slow...especially startup.

I'd gladly try it if ai can find one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back