HM-901
Sep 4, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,013 of 3,522
All very true.

But if a headphone wasn't designed for balanced operation, why do you think there's benefit in re-wiring it? That's what I was really getting at. My 2 cents. YMMV.

Rewiring involves changing many things at the same time, so it's really difficult to determine which factors are most important.  Stock headphone cables often tahe 4 wires down to 3 at the "Y", to save weight, stiffness, girth, and maybe even money.  rewiring uses better materials, geometries, and gives the shared ground double the conductor material (or at least some of the above, depending on the cable).  

So, design or not, the better the headphone, the more they'll benefit from better drive, and the cables can help, and real balanced circuitry can help, if done right-- i.e., true dual-diffferential.  whether it makes enough of a difference or is worth the money are different issues altogether.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #2,014 of 3,522
I thought the fault was only with the stock card. What is the "new" fault with some of the balanced cards? Since I have a balanced card I hope any "fault" is isolated to a very few.

Perhaps it;s simply a misunderstanding about which card had the problem, and someone confused the stock card with the balanced one?  This is how rumors get started......

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #2,015 of 3,522
Rewiring involves changing many things at the same time, so it's really difficult to determine which factors are most important.  Stock headphone cables often tahe 4 wires down to 3 at the "Y", to save weight, stiffness, girth, and maybe even money.  rewiring uses better materials, geometries, and gives the shared ground double the conductor material (or at least some of the above, depending on the cable).  

So, design or not, the better the headphone, the more they'll benefit from better drive, and the cables can help, and real balanced circuitry can help, if done right-- i.e., true dual-diffferential.  whether it makes enough of a difference or is worth the money are different issues altogether.

You are mixing a lot of issues in your statement above.

Better drive doesn't mean better performance. Would you recable your CIEM with XLR? You can. Does it make sense? No.

Better conductor material? Let's not even go there.

Balanced circuitry again is a factor of your chain (true dual-diff) and the way the headphone was designed, in addition to not sharing a common ground (like you said true dual-diff with discrete signal paths).

There are many, many applications where balanced operation would result better overall performance (including with the 901 to stay contextual). But some of the "advantages" you are talking may yield very little sonic fruit.

Back to 901 talk....

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,017 of 3,522
What are your reasons there Chiaki?

I see no reasons purchasing the RE600 when there are overall better IEMs at about-the-same price range than it. I do have the balance card, and to my ears the RE600 is still a genre-specific IEM. Pop music and certain types of jazz may sound above average with its neutral-and-smooth mids, but RE600 rarely dazzles me when listening. Overall I don't see it competing with the Flat4, EX1000 and W4 etc. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #2,018 of 3,522
  I see no reasons purchasing the RE600 when there are overall better IEMs at about-the-same price range than it. I do have the balance card, and to my ears the RE600 is still a genre-specific IEM. Pop music and certain types of jazz may sound above average with its neutral-and-smooth mids, but RE600 rarely dazzles me when listening. Overall I don't see it competing with the Flat4, EX1000 and W4 etc. 

That's why I seldom recommend RE600 as it's really not for everyone.

I happen to like them over all of those three you named.  In fact amongst the ones I currently own it just trail the 1p2 and tg334.  Of course this is based on pairing with 901+balanced amp in balanced mode.  With Mim he also owns pretty much everything I see no harm recommending it to him specifically as "a new friend for the 901" that he requested 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,020 of 3,522

I happen to like them over all of those three you named.  In fact amongst the ones I currently own it just trail the 1p2 and tg334.  Of course this is based on pairing with 901+balanced amp in balanced mode.  With Mim he also owns pretty much everything I see no harm recommending it to him specifically as "a new friend for the 901" that he requested 
biggrin.gif

I agree it's a small market, but I'm guessing people looking at the RE600 mostly already have an 801 or 901 balanced (not many other TRRS sources :))

That is certainly not an 'everyone' group...

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,021 of 3,522

I happen to like them over all of those three you named.  In fact amongst the ones I currently own it just trail the 1p2 and tg334.  Of course this is based on pairing with 901+balanced amp in balanced mode.  With Mim he also owns pretty much everything I see no harm recommending it to him specifically as "a new friend for the 901" that he requested :D
I cannot get such a cheap girlfriend for my 901 :wink: plus I am more into customs these days.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,022 of 3,522
I found the RE-600 very impressive, balanced out of the HM-901. Although,  I found them borderline too bright for my taste, which is surprising considering the many people complaining about their shelved down treble in the RE-400/600 thread  
confused.gif
. I 'll have to admit that I have been enjoying the Stagediver SD3 a lot for the last few weeks so my ears might need to adjust...

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,023 of 3,522

I owned the 1000s briefly, but for far too long.  I think they are better suited as pain generators for a car security system than as iems - I just don't get it. I felt kind'a bad selling them, but got lots of offers, and the buyer has never complained- so I assume they were not defective. If they were speakers, it would take several layers of thick towels to make them listenable, imho.

I listened to the 600s this morning, with my 901/MiniBox amp, gain=high, sound=HD, and enjoyed the  music very much.  Not my absolute favorites, but they are very good - I've not heard the Westones or the Flat4's, so no comment there.

LIking the 901/MiniBox combo more and more every time I fire it up.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #2,025 of 3,522
Has anyone had a good compare of the RE600 to the sennheiser IE800, it sounds to me like the IE800 should be one of the best around. The price and reviews would indicate that anyway.

They are quite different from each other in terms of signature/tuning and really an apple to orange comparison. And the ironic bit is I feel the re600 more like a hd600+hd650 lovechild then the IE800..... but need to applude sennheiser for breaking away and producing a more exciting sounding IEM with big bass+spicy treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back