HM-901
Aug 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,801 of 3,522
Congratz Mim!  FAT32 is definitely no-no as many reported before.

Re sound comparison, not sure about Tera as I don't have it now, but AK120 stock is not gonna be much of a comparison....
Well it's not like the 901 is 10 levels above the ak120. But 1 level above maybe with balanced amp card. I will need to compare to confirm it is not just the excitement of the new toy. And also see if the player is stable enough once I do everything right.

Now I am considering getting TRRS cables...if the sound can be even better then it's crazy.

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,802 of 3,522
Quote:
Well it's not like the 901 is 10 levels above the ak120. But 1 level above maybe with balanced amp card. I will need to compare to confirm it is not just the excitement of the new toy. And also see if the player is stable enough once I do everything right.

Now I am considering getting TRRS cables...if the sound can be even better then it's crazy.

Yup of course it won't be 10 levels!  But at "endgame" level a small difference is enough to ruin my enjoyment of the one that sounded "half a level inferior" and drastically reduced its head-time....

Well re TRRS, it may benefit SE5/Miracle more than 1p2.  Really interested to hear your impression.

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,803 of 3,522
Yup of course it won't be 10 levels!  But at "endgame" level a small difference is enough to ruin my enjoyment of the one that sounded "half a level inferior" and drastically reduced its head-time....

Well re TRRS, it may benefit SE5/Miracle more than 1p2.  Really interested to hear your impression.
Why se5 and Miracles more? I sold the Miracles...trying to clean up the collection. Only listen to se5 and 1plus2...

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,804 of 3,522
Quote:
Why se5 and Miracles more? I sold the Miracles...trying to clean up the collection. Only listen to se5 and 1plus2...

Maybe try the RE-600 out of your balanced 901 too, it certainly sounds very nice. I'm sure you can demo somewhere, given your location.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,805 of 3,522
Quote:

I feel the balance cable improved soundstage and give more space/clarity, but these are already the strength on 1p2 and I'm not sure I want a more distance or diffused mids or more spacing overall...  I was planning to get Gavin to balance the gold/silver cable for me but had not yet make up my mind.  I have another SPC balanced cable I tried with 1p2 but didn't like it over the SE gold/silver, but not really a good comparison as it's a different wire.

With other IEM like TG334 balanced definitely sounded better.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,807 of 3,522
Anyone here compared balanced amp and mini box card?

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,808 of 3,522
Just received my 901 with the balanced card. There was no other card sent with it. I have no problems downloading FLAC with my apple computer. The sound is too bright, I hope break in will tame the highs.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,810 of 3,522
Quote:
Just received my 901 with the balanced card. There was no other card sent with it. I have no problems downloading FLAC with my apple computer. The sound is too bright, I hope break in will tame the highs.

What 'phones are you using?

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,812 of 3,522
Interesting...I would never describe the 901 as a bright source

Perhaps you can try Vintage Mode to see if it suits you better.

Quote:

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,814 of 3,522
Sorry, guys, but it would seem that we are back to the usual 'sounds great - if only they could get the firmware sorted !' mantra.  No-one has an issue with Feng's golden ear, or his ability to design good audio components - it's the software side of the equation that seems to let them down repeatedly. How many eventually threw their hands in the air over the firmware issues surrounding the DX100 ? Interface design will always be contentious, but if you cant get gapless playback right, what have you really achieved ?

The comment above that the 901 is 'one level above' the AK120 - whatever that actually means to each of us - brings me to the obvious question : faced with a choice between that DAP and one with a poorer user experience/slightly better sonics, how many would settle for a DAP with firmware issues ? Audiophiles are masochists - Rega wouldnt be able to sell the Apollo CDP if they weren't - but maybe it's time we told Feng and others to hold off on releasing anything where the firmware let's the side down, regardless of how brilliant the sonics may be when you do get to the track you want to listen to.

Flame me if you will, but this is one thing that Apple gets right, and they spend the time getting it right because they know new product will be slammed if they dont.    

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,815 of 3,522
Sorry, guys, but it would seem that we are back to the usual 'sounds great - if only they could get the firmware sorted !' mantra.  No-one has an issue with Feng's golden ear, or his ability to design good audio components - it's the software side of the equation that seems to let them down repeatedly. How many eventually threw their hands in the air over the firmware issues surrounding the DX100 ? Interface design will always be contentious, but if you cant get gapless playback right, what have you really achieved ?

The comment above that the 901 is 'one level above' the AK120 - whatever that actually means to each of us - brings me to the obvious question : faced with a choice between a poorer user experience and slightly better sonics, how many would settle for a DAP with firmware issues ? Audiophiles are masochists - Rega wouldnt be able to sell the Apollo CDP if they weren't - but maybe it's time we told Feng and others to hold off on releasing anything where the firmware let's the side down, regardless of how brilliant the sonics may be when you do get to the track you want to listen to.

Flame me if you will, but this is one thing that Apple gets right, and they spend the time getting it right because they know new product will be slammed if they dont.    

Do you own a 901?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back