HM-801 Balanced Amplifier Module
Nov 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #61 of 118

Mine is a little bit extreme example, because I had the HE-500s hardwired with TWag v2 reference wire and an XLR4 to TRRS 3.5mm adapter made to work with the HM-801 in balanced mode.  The results are terrific but a bit costly.  Quality silver wire like the TWag is recommended for such a mid-forward sounding pair of cans, but I love the sound signature so I invested heavily into it to get the best sound.

Alternatively, the balanced HE-xxx TRRS cable that comes with the balanced amp module is still better quality than the stock cable the HE-500s ship with to my ears and you can just swap them out in a few seconds.  At least you get to hear the 500s balanced, which is the best way to experience them.

Quote:
Hi, warp08 ! Congratulation for your test of the Hm-801 balanced amplifier module. Could you tell me what is the complete Whiplash configuration you have chosen to equip the He-500 ? Sorry for my English... I am French but I try to do my best to make my message understandable ! Thanks in advance. David

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #62 of 118
I've gone only slightly less extreme in that I also have the TWag V2 Eclipse but not hardwired and balanced for RSA amps but have a RSA to trrs converter on the way from Craig. Actually I have TWag V2 Eclipse RSA terminated on all my phones and then various pig tails for different use

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #63 of 118
Thank you for your quick answer.

Quote:

Mine is a little bit extreme example, because I had the HE-500s hardwired with TWag v2 reference wire and an XLR4 to TRRS 3.5mm adapter made to work with the HM-801 in balanced mode.  The results are terrific but a bit costly.  Quality silver wire like the TWag is recommended for such a mid-forward sounding pair of cans, but I love the sound signature so I invested heavily into it to get the best sound.

Alternatively, the balanced HE-xxx TRRS cable that comes with the balanced amp module is still better quality than the stock cable the HE-500s ship with to my ears and you can just swap them out in a few seconds.  At least you get to hear the 500s balanced, which is the best way to experience them.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #64 of 118
I am probably showing my ignorance here but I have 3 questions relating primarily to non-HiFiMan headphones:

1. what happens if you want to use this new module with balanced phones which are not HiFiMan HE or IEMs? So I have a balanced set of HD800s - how would you (or could you) hook them up to those phones or do you need to buy all sorts of cables?

2. I also use the HM801 with a pair of HD25s when I am on the go as they are closed and I don't want to leak sound (and the HM-801 + HD25s is a good "rock" combination). I have a set of balanced cables for the HD650s which I always meant to use in the HD25s to see what they sounded like. If I wanted to use these on the go with the balanced HM-801 amp module I would presumably have the same issues as question 1 above re cables

3. Can you still use the stock headphone out if you have installed the balanced amp, or is that now non-working

Sorry for the questions, but I am not very technical!!!

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #65 of 118
The balanced headphone out is a female 1/8" trrs so you eithe need a headphonecable terminated to a male 1/8" trrs or a converter from whatever your balanced cable is terminated with to trrs. All my phones are balanced to SR71-B and I then have 3 different converter cables to 1/8" trs, 1/8" trrs and 2x3-pin xlr. 

The normal single endef headphone out on the HM801 is still functional with the balanced module so you can still use single ended phones with it

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #66 of 118
Thanks for that nc8000. In terms of a convertor I live in the UK but haven't been able to find obviously on Google an 1/8 TRRS and 2 x 3pin XLR female convertor. Where did you get yours from? 

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #67 of 118
All mine come from Whiplash Audio including all my headphone cables but ALO and probably others do similar things. I expect that qusp could also do them

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #68 of 118
It's weird - I looked at the Oz sticker price for the Marantz KI Pearl Lite speaker amp last night and thought '2.5K isnt bad given Marantz retail prices in Australia', but when I add up the cost of the HM-801, the balanced amp module and a pair of HE-500s, suddenly it all seems like a lot of money.  Sure, the Pearl Lite is made in Japan, and has the tick of approval from an audio legend, but clearly something very odd is going on in the depths of my subconscious.
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #69 of 118

Quote:
It's weird - I looked at the Oz sticker price for the Marantz KI Pearl Lite speaker amp last night and thought '2.5K isnt bad given Marantz retail prices in Australia', but when I add up the cost of the HM-801, the balanced amp module and a pair of HE-500s, suddenly it all seems like a lot of money.  Sure, the Pearl Lite is made in Japan, and has the tick of approval from an audio legend, but clearly something very odd is going on in the depths of my subconscious.
eek.gif

I think it's all a matter of perspective.  A speaker amp is just one component--I'm sure a good one--but it's still just one component.  With the portable system you have described you have a (portable) source, balanced amp module and a set of reference ear speakers (BTW, their price just dropped to $699 from $899).  Given the fact that the HM-801 is still one of the best quality portable systems around with up to 24/96 native playback capability, the price is certainly fair, methinks.  Cheap, certainly not.  Reasonably priced for what you get, definitely so, at least IMO.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #70 of 118
I agree that its reasonably priced, at least FWIR, but obviously Marantz have done a better job emblazoning the value of their branding (and the Ken Ishiwata stamp of approval ..) into my bird-like brain than HiFiMan. Part of it is my initial experience with the RE0 and various QC issues a few people have had with the HM601.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #71 of 118

Quote:
I agree that its reasonably priced, at least FWIR, but obviously Marantz have done a better job emblazoning the value of their branding (and the Ken Ishiwata stamp of approval ..) into my bird-like brain than HiFiMan. Part of it is my initial experience with the RE0 and various QC issues a few people have had with the HM601.

No question about it, but Marantz had been around a bit longer so it's no surprise it is a more established brand than HiFiMAN.  I have also had occasional QC problems with some of their stuff, but they've been promptly rectified.  It is an evolving brand, but as long as they keep up their iterative improvements with every subsequent release, I'm game.  They also listen to customer feedback, which is not something that can be said about a lot of these "established" companies.

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #72 of 118
Got my balanced module yesterday after quite a few problems-it was sent to the wrong address and communication with Head -Direct to sort it out was very slow. When I opened the gorgeous box I was very disappointed to see that one of the caps was knocked off in transit. I had it soldered back on and...wow-it was worth the trouble. So far I've only listened to JH 16 pro balanced and D7000 unbalanced. This is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, especially balanced but maybe even unbalanced. I have never enjoyed the JH 16pro's as much ( other setups I have for these are SR 71 B balanced and ALO Continental)

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #73 of 118
Got my balanced module yesterday after quite a few problems-it was sent to the wrong address and communication with Head -Direct to sort it out was very slow. When I opened the gorgeous box I was very disappointed to see that one of the caps was knocked off in transit. I had it soldered back on and...wow-it was worth the trouble. So far I've only listened to JH 16 pro balanced and D7000 unbalanced. This is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, especially balanced but maybe even unbalanced. I have never enjoyed the JH 16pro's as much ( other setups I have for these are SR 71 B balanced and ALO Continental)

Great to learn.
Do you hear ANY hiss from the JH16 in a completely silent room?

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #75 of 118
Quote:
I only hear hiss from the recordings. But I must qualify that by saying that I am not that sensitive to minor hiss. I would also add that it does not have as black a background as the SR 71 B.

Okay, thanks.
To clarify: If you put on a recording with zero hiss - then there is no hiss audible in a silent room? (As you can see I am quite picky about this.)
BTW: Do you have the Game amp to compare it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back