HM-801 Balanced Amplifier Module
Sep 27, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #31 of 118

Quote:
Warp08, thanks for doing a review on this one, appreciate the time and effort you put into this.  Where did you get your Trrs plug from?  I don't seem to find any made by the usual tried and dependable brands, Neutrik, Switchcraft, Canare.

It's been sourced by Whiplash Audio from somewhere.  It seems to be on par with what's included in the upgrade kit.  The downside of the 3.5mm TRRS plugs is that there aren't seem to be a major interest by major suppliers yet to manufacture a premium version.  A mini-XLR would have been better, however, it would also have been thicker,  making the bump-out module for the balanced opamp thicker, which would not have been a good thing.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #32 of 118
How much change did the amp go through during the burn-in period?  Was the amp's sound stable at the 200 hr mark?

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #33 of 118

Quote:
How much change did the amp go through during the burn-in period?  Was the amp's sound stable at the 200 hr mark?

The changes were noticeable primarily during the initial 100 hours, pass that there were more subtle.  Further refinement may be possible past this, but I didn't want to hold up the review any longer.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #35 of 118
Ok, just got my balance amp.  Haven't had time to reterminate my HP, but SE using my Ed8, it sounds fuller and mellower,  also everything sounds closer, as a result it does not have the airiness of the game amp, but presents micro details better. Highs out of my Ed8 does not sound sibilant like the stock amp. Will see how it sounds out of balance later tonight.  

I'm tempted to recable the internal amp wires to silver.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #36 of 118

Quote:
Ok, just got my balance amp.  Haven't had time to reterminate my HP, but SE using my Ed8, it sounds fuller and mellower,  also everything sounds closer, as a result it does not have the airiness of the game amp, but presents micro details better. Highs out of my Ed8 does not sound sibilant like the stock amp. Will see how it sounds out of balance later tonight.  

I'm tempted to recable the internal amp wires to silver.

Glad you like it.  The Edition 8 should definitely benefit from a balanced recable/retermination.  I have heard it both ways and liked it better than the Edition 10 overall.  I would think if you use silver wire on your headphones, recabling the amp internally may be beneficial in terms of end-to-end synergy.  Let us know how it turns out.

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #37 of 118
Just received a 801 with balanced module installed from Fang for the Danish meet next month and am listening with the included balanced cable via my HE-500 and like what I hear very much

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #38 of 118
Anybody know if plugging SE connector to the the balance socket will damage the amp?

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #39 of 118

Quote:
Anybody know if plugging SE connector to the the balance socket will damage the amp?

Probably won't but I wouldn't try it because the rings wouldn't line up correctly with the socket anyway and depending on the volume you may very well damage your IEMs or headphones as well as the amp module itself.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #40 of 118
Thanks so much for this, warp08, even if it does potentially leave a monster dent in some pockets.

Am I correct in assuming that the balanced TRRS adapters for the RE262/RE272 will plug straight into the balanced amp module, providing fully balanced operation straight out of the box ? Given comments from ClieOS and others, I would question whether throwing another thousand dollars at a pair of $150 IEMs makes sense (!), but its interesting nonetheless.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #41 of 118
Yes, I would think so.

I have this little theory about sources.  If I invest in them, I will want the very best available I can afford simply because it's a lot easier to replace phones when a better one comes along, and in the meantime, I do get the very best quality input signal the current phones are capable of rendering.  The reverse thinking is often observed here; you'll see nobody betting an eye when someone uses multi-$K cans with nothing better than an iPod Classic to feed them.

Of course, all that matters is whether you're happy with what you've got.  If you are, that's all that matters.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #42 of 118

Quote:
Of course, all that matters is whether you're happy with what you've got.  If you are, that's all that matters.

First rule of Head-Fi is that we are NEVER going to be happy with what we've got - if we were, there would be no need to keep coming back.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the feedback on the amp. I need to take care of real-world stuff right now, but closer to Xmas it might be back on the table.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #43 of 118
If a headphone is hardwired with a normal trs plug no adaptor will turn them into fully balanced phones, it will only allow you to use the balanced output without damaging anything

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #44 of 118

Quote:
If a headphone is hardwired with a normal trs plug no adaptor will turn them into fully balanced phones, it will only allow you to use the balanced output without damaging anything

the new RE262 will have slightly different physical build than the one I reviewed. First, it seems to come with a metal housing now. Second, the mini plug has been switched to a 4 pins TRRS plug (which is used for balanced signal that HM801 will support via a new balanced amp module).

http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/03/finally-re262.html

I bought my 262s mid-2011 : dont know anything about the older model.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #45 of 118
In that case those models should be ok as they are from start wired and terminated for balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back