High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,386 of 4,183
Okay. I think I'll just bow out of this witch hunt respectfully and default back to my original post: for a cable in this price range for someone who needs a microphone for a smartphone, I have yet to find anything better.

-Collin-

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,387 of 4,183
Okay. I think I'll just bow out of this witch hunt respectfully and default back to my original post: for a cable in this price range for someone who needs a microphone for a smartphone, I have yet to find anything better.

-Collin-
i agree too XD. if its for mmcx i think campfite audio makes some nice copper cables with mic

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #2,390 of 4,183
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #2,391 of 4,183
Sep 24, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #2,393 of 4,183
Worked my way to the Xorxes 8-wire. Again, extremely high SQ and maybe the most beautiful wire of the bunch. This one is very rich sounding with great texturing, some shimmer, and a good low end. After hearing the 1950, 1960, and 1980, I can tell you that they have an extra few percentages in performance over the Xorxes, but we are paying a big premium for that little bit of extra performance. This hybrid cable sounds wonderful and could be an endgame if I hadn't already heard the others. It also has a 4 wire version at half the price that could offer huge price to performance. I am really enjoying the build quality of these PWAudio cables.
Barra how do you feel the 1960s 2 wire and 4 wire versions compare in weight & ergonomics to the Xerxes 8 wire?

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,395 of 4,183
Barra how do you feel the 1960s 2 wire and 4 wire versions compare in weight & ergonomics to the Xerxes 8 wire?
As mentioned, the 1960 2-wire was not included in the tour kit.

Between the 1960 4 wire and the Xerxes 8 wire, they are both extremely ergonomic and very light. Most of the weight of the wires come from the plugs and the splitters that are of extremely high quality and have a heft to them but are still extremely light. Holding both up in the air dangling at length and giving them a little bounce, neither is obviously heavier than the other, but are more obvious in the hand than my cheaper stock or minimalist cables that come with most IEMs. It is hard to tell the gauge of the 1960 wire, but it seems larger gauge than the Xerxes wires that are extremely fine - could just be the sleeve on the 1960 wires, but I don't think so. If I was to guess, I would guess an equal cumulative gauge. Bending the wire, the 1960 wire is more subtle and rugged at the same time with the geometry of the Xerxes 8 way weave creating some resistance. However, I would be more careful with the Xerxes wire in bending it given the fineness of the wire. They both look very high end, but the golden luster of the Xerxes may look a little more high end with the more intricate weave design. Neither cable is a candidate for tangling.

Putting it all together, they are both great in terms of ergonomics, but the 1960 feels more rugged as if it would handle more abuse potentially giving it more longevity for similar ergonomics. On the performance side, both are outstanding performers, but the 1960 is the one I go to having more special sauce. The Xerxes has more sparkle than the 1960 if you are a sparkle person and maybe a better pairing for darker IEMs. The 1960 is also a great treble performer presenting more of an integrated sound quality than sparkle forcus However, the 1980 has a better/cleaner sparkle than the Xerxes and is my goto cable for my 12t while I am holding the kit where the 1960 is my goto cable for my a18t as the best pairings. If that raises interest in the 1980, it has the same design as the 1960 but is much stiffer where I am more concerned in the bend test.

If you are interested in the Xerxes, I would not be concerned at all as it is the best price to performance and an extreme performer both SQ and ergonomically as well as the most beautiful cable of the bunch. IMO, the 1960 and the 1980 are better SQ performers, by a small but audible margin, but at a price premium. If sparkle is required, then Xerxes or 1980 would be a better choice than the 1960.

Hope that helps. - Bill

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2,396 of 4,183
Thanks for your impressions Bill, much appreciated!

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #2,397 of 4,183
Just auditioned the Hansound Aegis 4-wire and 8-wire today and here are some pics and brief impressions:

64 Audio A18t, Hansound Aegis 4 & 8-wire, PlusSound X8 Tri-Copper (this is mine)

Impressions:
I spent a good 20-30 minutes listening to each of the Aegis wires. I also listened to my own Tri-Copper for direct comparisons with the two wires using the Sony WM1A & A18t. After listening to these wires, I have some mix reactions and I'll probably need more listening time to articulate these thoughts so I'll just focus on two aspects of the sound of these wires that stood out for me: vocals and bass impact.

Vocals:
Aegis 4-wire provided the most sparkle out of the three wires, followed by the Tri-Copper, the Aegis 8-wire had the least sparkle but the most thickness and smoothness out of the three.

I'm not sure how long the 8-wire Aegis was burnt-in for since the demo unit just arrived today so yes, my impression may change (I've placed my order for the 8-wire). At times it seems like the Tri-Copper sounds like a "6-wire Aegis" where i hear traits from both the 4-wire and 8-wire Aegis. It may be that the WM1A isn't powerful enough to open up the 8-wire Aegis, I'll definitely try with other sources when I get the actual wire.

Bass Impact:
I'll characterize the differences in terms of impact area. Aegis 8-wire clearly has more impact area compared to the 4-wire. While the Tri-Copper's impact area is similar to the 4-wire Aegis', I did feel the punch was harder on the Tri-Copper compared to the other two wires.

Concluding Thoughts:
Aegis 4-wire is a bit V-shaped compared to the 8-wire where the sound is generally thicker and more detailed. I feel like I need to drive the 8-wire with something with more oomph to open up it's sound and that's why I chose to order the 8-wire, I'd like to see if I could unleash its potential.

The X8 Tri-Copper has its advantages against the Aegis wires and is still my current favorite. I guess it all comes down to presentation, there's something about the Aegis that makes me want to explore and spend more time with it. I think the Aegis wires are very competively priced, great job Hansound!

An update here: I have since received the Aegis 8-wire about 3 weeks ago but haven't had a chance to spend much time with it. In short listening sessions I noticed the initial impressions I gave did not match what I'm hearing with my own cable.

Vocals: more sparkle than X8 Tri-Copper, but probably less than the 4-wire Aegis (from my memory)
Bass Impact: less bass impact than X8 Tri-Copper, fast bass response though
Overall: Dark background, good and airy treble extension, light and fast bass response, and more balanced sound than the 4-wire variant

I also read other people's 8-wire Aegis impressions and it matches well with what I'm hearing with my own cable. I can't explain the difference I heard between the demo Aegis 8-wire cable & the one I received, the only difference between the two cables is the termination: the demo cable used a 2.5 mm Furutech plug while the cable I have is a 4.4 mm Furutech plug, both are 2-pin CM cables. When listening to these cables, I used the same source: my WM1A balanced port (used Effect Audio's 2.5 mm to 4.4 mm adapter for the demo cable).

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #2,398 of 4,183
Alright alright. . . so. . . I made the jump and purchased a Hugo 2. . . selling all my other gear to fund it. . . so right now I have a TOTL DAC, a TOTL CIEM (A18). . . the only thing I am missing is a great cable pairing with the A18/Hugo2. Now I only mention this because of personal experience. . . I have a Thor Silver cable which I have been using for some time now. . . only issue is, its in balance form. . . I tested out the Hugo today using a Fiio L26 adaptor, because that is all I have in 3.5mm

To my surprise, the SQ was different to my ears. . . it seemed muffled. . . much more bass heavy. . .

I've tested the Hugo2 in the past with a pure silver Rhapsodio cable, and it sounded. . .airier. . . more transparency. . . Better separation. . . So I was expecting this to be a similar case with the Thor Silver. . . ah but it isn't. .

It would seem the weakest link is the FiiO adaptor, which turns out to be SPC. . . Like putting regular gas in a McLaren. . .

So I need some advice on what would be a good pairing for my current combo please. I'm not down for spending $1000 for a cable... My signature preference is a natural tone and timbre but with great separation. . . I want to feel "Like I'm There". . .pun intended

Thank you for your wisdom in advance. . .

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #2,399 of 4,183
I think I'm looking to get another cable soon, I have a plussound gph at the moment and am thinking of getting something brighter and puts detail more forward. basically I'm thinking of getting a pure silver cable, I looked up reviews of the effect audio Thor ii and I get a bunch of people saying how it deviates from normal silver cables by sounding warm. what's a silver cable with the "typical" silver sound?

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #2,400 of 4,183
Alright alright. . . so. . . I made the jump and purchased a Hugo 2. . . selling all my other gear to fund it. . . so right now I have a TOTL DAC, a TOTL CIEM (A18). . . the only thing I am missing is a great cable pairing with the A18/Hugo2. Now I only mention this because of personal experience. . . I have a Thor Silver cable which I have been using for some time now. . . only issue is, its in balance form. . . I tested out the Hugo today using a Fiio L26 adaptor, because that is all I have in 3.5mm

To my surprise, the SQ was different to my ears. . . it seemed muffled. . . much more bass heavy. . .

I've tested the Hugo2 in the past with a pure silver Rhapsodio cable, and it sounded. . .airier. . . more transparency. . . Better separation. . . So I was expecting this to be a similar case with the Thor Silver. . . ah but it isn't. .

It would seem the weakest link is the FiiO adaptor, which turns out to be SPC. . . Like putting regular gas in a McLaren. . .

So I need some advice on what would be a good pairing for my current combo please. I'm not down for spending $1000 for a cable... My signature preference is a natural tone and timbre but with great separation. . . I want to feel "Like I'm There". . .pun intended

Thank you for your wisdom in advance. . .
To pair with IEM, I dont appreciate much the hugo2 performance. Although it bring much detail and attach to the treble but a TOTL dap such as Sp1000 or sp1000M is more suitable for IEMs. Hugo2 power matching and noise floor is quite annoying for some IEMs. I have tried some 64 audio iem and I think that they need a pure silver cable to control over the whole frequency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back