High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Sep 11, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #4,171 of 4,183
To my ears I am using a better IEMs AND swapping interconnects it will sound way better. However, if you can afford to do that. This hobby kinda digs deeply into your pocket if you are addictive.
You can take time to time to improve the sound as you desire…
Are there any affordable iems/cables that I could try/you would recommend? Because I do want to have some more noticeable changes if possible (im already kinda prepared to throw some money into this hobby as time goes on). I know this is a thread for high-end products, so apologies but I would appreciate the help and advice.

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #4,172 of 4,183
Are there any affordable iems/cables that I could try/you would recommend? Because I do want to have some more noticeable changes if possible (im already kinda prepared to throw some money into this hobby as time goes on). I know this is a thread for high-end products, so apologies but I would appreciate the help and advice.
For tips: Try comparing Final E-Type (small hole) or any foam tips against the JVC Spiral Dot (large hole).. their difference should be significant enough for even a newbie audiophile to tell apart..

For cables: Try comparing pure copper against pure silver ones.. they are from different ends of the spectrum and, like the tips above, the difference should be significant enough to tell one from the other..
No need to worry about expensive cables with exotic materials for now, as they function more as hardware equalizers that will fine tune the sound of your system but the difference might be too minimal for newbies to hear..

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #4,173 of 4,183
Welcome to Head-fi and to this crazy audiophile hobby!

As has already been said I think it’s a good idea to start with ear tips. Online purchasing should be fine. I used to have the Shure SE846 and I used to like using Comply tips on those as I found they gave a warmer sound that fitted my preferences. The downside with tip rolling is that there is just so many to choose from that it’s a job in its own right trying to find ones that fit the sound you may like. Final-e and JVC Spiral Dots have already been mentioned, but I’d add to that Symbio, Azla SednaEarfit, and SpinFit.

A new cable may help but I would keep it to a sensible cost level. Be weary of really cheap cables as they can be cheap for a reason. One cable maker that I was happy with at entry level was Satin Audio. They make a couple of cables that are $70 US. I’m not sure what your budget is but I bought one of these and for the money paid I thought it was good value.

With regard to upgrading your IEM, it’s always an option, and if this becomes your hobby then you’ll likely upgrade at some point anyway. But for now I’d say just enjoy the SE215 for a while and see what changes you can achieve with tips and perhaps a step up aftermarket cable.

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #4,174 of 4,183
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the whole audio/cable/iem community, and I recently bought my first iem, which is the shure se215. I have been looking for ways to sort of change how it sounds as to me it didn't sound that much different from my previous earphones, but I heard that you can change how an iem/cable sounds through burn-ins and/or changing the cable itself. Was wondering if the cable itself will make a lot of difference, or if I want to hear a bigger difference, I should just get a better iem instead. Thanks yall

if i remember correctly this is a cheap/entry level iem , no point pairing it with a 1000$ cable

cables have small improvements , if you wanna see a drastic upgrade you need to buy better (and more expensive) iems :)

cheers

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #4,175 of 4,183
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the whole audio/cable/iem community, and I recently bought my first iem, which is the shure se215. I have been looking for ways to sort of change how it sounds as to me it didn't sound that much different from my previous earphones, but I heard that you can change how an iem/cable sounds through burn-ins and/or changing the cable itself. Was wondering if the cable itself will make a lot of difference, or if I want to hear a bigger difference, I should just get a better iem instead. Thanks yall
Have a look at Wavelet EQ if you are on Android, or just EQ in general. It's free and doesn't cost any money. Try that first before spending imo

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #4,177 of 4,183
anyone else here using the hulk pro modular cable? it's not terribly expensive $360-399.00

love the fact that I can use 3.5mm,4.4mm and 2.5mm definitely gives you the ability to run difference amp dacs abd daps.

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #4,178 of 4,183
anyone else here using the hulk pro modular cable? it's not terribly expensive $360-399.00

love the fact that I can use 3.5mm,4.4mm and 2.5mm definitely gives you the ability to run difference amp dacs abd daps.
I use Dunu's successor of the Hulk cable, the Blanche.. it has the same modular plug feature to use 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4mm.. the cable itself is very neutral, sometimes even too neutral IMO, which is still a good thing unless you need your cable to function as a hardware equalizer or sound correction device of some sort..

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #4,179 of 4,183
I am looking to upgrade my cable for my UM Amber Pearl (shpped with my Cayin N30LE).

I have on my list the YATONO and MURAKUMO from Brise Audio or the ORPHEUS and 1950s from PWAudio. Other suggestions ?

QUESTION: I wonder if the PWAudio Cables can be shipped with a L type 4.4 plug rather than a Strait plug ?

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #4,181 of 4,183
Check out my review of new launch of Linum's DualBaX cable.

- https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/linum-dualbax.26887/reviews#review-32383

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-08 at 20.28.52_5dcef2d7.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #4,182 of 4,183
1000044377.jpg
Thanks to zeppelin and co for curating and letting me try different cables untill I lended on the Ares audio sakeishi cable. The pairing with the icelab prismatica is nothing shot of mesmerising.

Compared to the stock icelab cable

Low end isn't as present, more natural and tighter sound with just as good natural texturing.

Mids has gained more meat but has significantly more detail and nuance. Makes vocals slightly less airy though. This also creates a variable soundstage that can range from intimate to a small room depending on the recording which is interesting.

Of special note is brass instruments sound amazing with that particular metallic airyness.

The top end is not as sparkly and more natural sounding but this lets me hear the air/post 10khz very clearly.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase but with how many cables I went through before I found the one I don't want to know how much people with no access to demoing spend on cable rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back