High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #2,401 of 4,196
I think I'm looking to get another cable soon, I have a plussound gph at the moment and am thinking of getting something brighter and puts detail more forward. basically I'm thinking of getting a pure silver cable, I looked up reviews of the effect audio Thor ii and I get a bunch of people saying how it deviates from normal silver cables by sounding warm. what's a silver cable with the "typical" silver sound?

The PlusSound Silver + Gold would be it IMO.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #2,402 of 4,196
Alright alright. . . so. . . I made the jump and purchased a Hugo 2. . . selling all my other gear to fund it. . . so right now I have a TOTL DAC, a TOTL CIEM (A18). . . the only thing I am missing is a great cable pairing with the A18/Hugo2. Now I only mention this because of personal experience. . . I have a Thor Silver cable which I have been using for some time now. . . only issue is, its in balance form. . . I tested out the Hugo today using a Fiio L26 adaptor, because that is all I have in 3.5mm

To my surprise, the SQ was different to my ears. . . it seemed muffled. . . much more bass heavy. . .

I've tested the Hugo2 in the past with a pure silver Rhapsodio cable, and it sounded. . .airier. . . more transparency. . . Better separation. . . So I was expecting this to be a similar case with the Thor Silver. . . ah but it isn't. .

It would seem the weakest link is the FiiO adaptor, which turns out to be SPC. . . Like putting regular gas in a McLaren. . .

So I need some advice on what would be a good pairing for my current combo please. I'm not down for spending $1000 for a cable... My signature preference is a natural tone and timbre but with great separation. . . I want to feel "Like I'm There". . .pun intended

Thank you for your wisdom in advance. . .
I have the Hugo 2 > a18 setup which I am enjoying very much and have just hosted several CIEM upgrade cable tours to test the 18 across a wide variety. At the very pinnacle of this journey, I have found that Han Sound Venom and PWAudio 1960 are the best I have heard and scale the a18 into exotic SQ territory - but are those $1000 plus cables you are looking to avoid. You can get a great percentage of the way there with the lower/mid tier version from these companies for a greater price to performance ratio, but the A18 continues to scale as you introduce better chain components and doesn't seem to top out. In the mid-tier priced cables, the better results I was finding was from hybrid copper/silver cables (not SPC) like the Han Sound Redcore. If you go lower end, I am finding that the A18 is responding well to 8 wire geometry when available in either copper or silver if you can afford it.

In the end, you really need to hear it for yourself to know for sure. If you are in the US, I will be launching the PWAudio CIEM cable upgrade tour soon which you can join and see for yourself. The link in my signature should be live soon.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,403 of 4,196
I have the Hugo 2 > a18 setup which I am enjoying very much and have just hosted several CIEM upgrade cable tours to test the 18 across a wide variety. At the very pinnacle of this journey, I have found that Han Sound Venom and PWAudio 1960 are the best I have heard and scale the a18 into exotic SQ territory - but are those $1000 plus cables you are looking to avoid. You can get a great percentage of the way there with the lower/mid tier version from these companies for a greater price to performance ratio, but the A18 continues to scale as you introduce better chain components and doesn't seem to top out. In the mid-tier priced cables, the better results I was finding was from hybrid copper/silver cables (not SPC) like the Han Sound Redcore. If you go lower end, I am finding that the A18 is responding well to 8 wire geometry when available in either copper or silver if you can afford it.

In the end, you really need to hear it for yourself to know for sure. If you are in the US, I will be launching the PWAudio CIEM cable upgrade tour soon which you can join and see for yourself. The link in my signature should be live soon.

I am DEFINITELY interested in that tour!! I have Thor II cables at the moment, so I was thinking about doing the Effect Audio Bespoke Upgrade program to the Eros II 8-Wire since I recently discovered I could do that. . . I just don't have the patience to go without my music for days or weeks turnaround. . . LOL and maybe some time in the distant future I'll be able to afford $1000+ cables. . . :ksc75smile:

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,404 of 4,196
Ok, now you can sign up for the PWAudio US Tour - please see my signature link.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2,405 of 4,196
I am DEFINITELY interested in that tour!! I have Thor II cables at the moment, so I was thinking about doing the Effect Audio Bespoke Upgrade program to the Eros II 8-Wire since I recently discovered I could do that. . . I just don't have the patience to go without my music for days or weeks turnaround. . . LOL and maybe some time in the distant future I'll be able to afford $1000+ cables. . . :ksc75smile:
See my signature for a live tour link now.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #2,406 of 4,196

My thought's exactly, the 18t just scales and scales and scales. So happy I bought it. I would never have imagined the sort of difference I got with the Venom vs the other cables I'd heard with the H2 + A18t pairing. Exotic is the right word.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,407 of 4,196
Lol I just need an exotic paycheck...:grin:sigh one day,.. one day...I’m excited for this cable tour!! I just need to get my test song list together...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,408 of 4,196
My thought's exactly, the 18t just scales and scales and scales. So happy I bought it. I would never have imagined the sort of difference I got with the Venom vs the other cables I'd heard with the H2 + A18t pairing. Exotic is the right word.

Lol it’s actually a very exciting thought.. you just want to throw everything your can at it to see just how far it can go... I haven’t regretted my A18t purchase one bit.., but that’s another thread altogether lol

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #2,409 of 4,196

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #2,410 of 4,196
Note: Reposting to share with whoever is interested in budget IEM cables. From my response in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-ak-t8ie-mkⅡ-impressions-and-discussions-thread.811963/page-17

I tried the Acoustune ARC01 Unbalanced MMCX 3.5mm cable and I found it to be not too bad actually. It costs about USD 100 in my area and it definitely looks sturdy and long lasting. But it's heavy! Noticeably heavy when you pick it up, compared to the stock cable. I think when listening to music, someone can come from behind and garrote me and get away with it. Seriously.

But it comes with a nice thick cable with 1 year warranty and apparently '114 strands of OFC' and is 'triple shielded' whatever that means. SQ wise because of the copper wire, I placeboed and heard more bass impact and recessed highs but I'm not sure if its true as I only tried it for 10 mins across 3 tracks.

But I put it down simply because it was a... a WHIP. It wasn't a headphone cable. Too inflexible and too heavy. Built like a tank though. But no thanks.
https://jaben.com.my/collections/acoustune/products/acoustune-arc-mmcx-cable

So I kept looking...
---------------------------------
Gotta say, instead of going for the higher end Null Audio, Moon Audio, Linum, Toxic Audio, etc, I thought why not play around for fun.

So, I just bought a Chinese MMCX cable for the lulz but I'm seriously impressed... It sounds almost as good as the stock cable, fits well, no microphonics, won't tangle due to the braid structure (unlike the stock cable which tangles more than a snake!).

It does look a bit cheap, but SQ wise, it's almost as good, with a bit of mid bass boost and recessed subbass, mids are a bit peaky, but highs are enhanced and sibilance prone (bad for AK T8 which already has treble emphasis) and the 3d soundstaging is slightly compressed and sometimes instruments are a bit more congested than I recall.

Otherwise, it's just as loud, as energetic, and vocals still come out clear and nice. Bass kick is still what I remember it to be, impulse response is still fast to keep up, etc. I was hoping for a flat-ish sound signature and I think I got it for ONLY USD 8 including shipping. There were no official reviews whatsover, so it was a leap of faith purchase. Gotta say, it's so good I now want to buy the higher end cable around USD 30 just to see what happens. :-D

I think I'm now on the 'cables don't do anything to SQ' side of the fence on the cable-SQ debate. Haha.

Here's the link. Disclaimer: I'm just sharing my experience. I don't know the seller, just happened to buy and try it for fun and it was worth much much more than I expected. Maybe I had too low expectations for a USD 8 cable? :p
https://shopee.com.my/product/6548893/1242842913

Product Description
Been looking for the perfect MMCX cable for your IEM with the best value for money ??
Love the KZ multibraided silver-plated cable design but find it disappointing because it doesn't have the MMCX connector variant ??
KZ hears what you folks out there have been looking for in ages !
So now we have it, the new KZ MMCX Multibraided Upgrade Cable.

Features --------------
● 8 cores multi-braid cable design, soft and lightweight.
● Silver plated OCC copper cable for lossless audio signal transmission, enhances audio quality.
● Coated with kevlar fibre for high cable strength and resiliency, extends its durability.
● Universal MMCX connector compatible with all IEMs with MMCX interface.
● HIFI grade 3.5mm gold-plated plug with straight metallic design.
● Memory wire earguide design, act as bendable earguide to help your IEM stays in your ear with a tight and secure fit.
● All around audio improvement: enhances high frequency extension, smooth out uneven treble response, give fuller sound with more body to female vocals, improves overall details, clarity and transparency.

Specifications -----------------------
Brand: KZ Model:
MMCX Multibraided Upgrade Cable
Cable type: Silver-plated OCC cable
Cable specs: 8 cores
Cable length: 1.2M
Impedance: N/A
Connector type: MMCX
Connection: 3.5mm gold-plated straight hifi plug
Compatible model: All IEMs with MMCX profile
Wrong thread m8

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #2,412 of 4,196
Hey guys! I just published a review of one of my favourite cables of the year: Han Sound Audio's Aegis. It's a punchy and impactful-sounding cable that doesn't compromise on vocal integrity or tonal balance. In fact, it adds an excellent meaty timbre to the bass and midrange. Add to that Han Sound Audio's excellent in-house hardware and build, and you have yourselves one heck of a package. As always, hope you enjoy and look out for my next review this weekend which may or may not rhyme with Pea-oh-Midas Flu. :wink:

Han Sound Audio Aegis - Rock, Romance N' Rollercoasters

Aegis-11 (R).jpg

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #2,413 of 4,196
Hey guys! I just published a review of one of my favourite cables of the year: Han Sound Audio's Aegis. It's a punchy and impactful-sounding cable that doesn't compromise on vocal integrity or tonal balance. In fact, it adds an excellent meaty timbre to the bass and midrange. Add to that Han Sound Audio's excellent in-house hardware and build, and you have yourselves one heck of a package. As always, hope you enjoy and look out for my next review this weekend which may or may not rhyme with Pea-oh-Midas Flu. :wink:

As all your reviews this one is an excellent one, Daniel. It comes right when I am after a pairing for RHA CL2 planar IEM.
I have in mind three cables, Aegis is one of them besides PW Audio Saladin and Effect Audio Eros.
I would love to have your opinion about the most suitable paring for the named IEM being it from the above collection or one of your choice :wink:, in the same price bracket. In my intention is to keep the character of the IEM but to emphasize a bit its musicality. Thank you for your opinion!

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #2,414 of 4,196

Excellent review ! It’s THE cable for my VE8 now :)

43D064D9-3BB3-4F05-AD49-A7CB0D448A5B.jpeg

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,415 of 4,196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back