High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,231 of 4,183
Hey guys! I recently managed to demo the Effect Audio Horus at my local Jaben. Here are my impressions (plus comparisons to my 2-wire 1960s) copied and pasted from the Effect Audio thread:

The Effect Audio Horus is cable that's worthy of its flagship status (though whether or not it's worth the price is certainly a different question). It has a sound signature that's relatively uncoloured, neutral and transparent, and instead aims to improve technical performance instead of altering an IEM's specific "flavour."

The Horus's bass and lower midrange are among the most visceral, textured, well-layered, and deep I've ever heard from a cable. Overall bass quantity is above neutral and impact is readily felt, even with IEMs like the Empire Ears Zeus. Both width and depth impress as hits and rumbles extend to the left-most and right-most perimeters of the stage, and arrive with force and texture. Bass-y IEMs or IEMs that are tuned relatively neutrally but with a focus on vocals (i.e. the Warbler Prelude) may not benefit from this boost, but it complements IEMs like the Zeus excellently. Compared to the low-end of the 1960s, quantity is similar, but where they differ mainly is in presentation. The Horus presents its bass with less bloom, less richness and less body, sounding drier, tighter, and more physical. The Horus also bests the 1960s in low-end air and dynamics, where it punches harder and lets instruments like bass guitars gnash with grain. However, overall resolution down-low is similar - with body and separation carrying the 1960s where the Horus excels - but clarity, punch, power, and depth all belong to the Effect Audio flagship.

The midrange is where the competition gets tighter, with the 1960s teaching the Horus a lesson or two when it comes to emotional resonance, warmth, body and (ironically) depth. Where the Horus shines in the low-end, the 1960s fires back with a vocal presentation that's larger, grander and more expansive. Although articulation and clarity is superior on the Horus, with more air, upper-mid emphasis, and cut, it's a rather no-fuss presentation that's drier, more neutral, and less bodied. Although it aids separation, particularly in arrangements with multiple stringed instruments sharing a similar frequency region, it lacks the warmth, allure, and seductiveness of the 1960s's bloomy, cozy and honey-like midrange presentation. Overall soundstage is also the 1960s' game, where the Horus feels more boxed in (albeit, a box that's really clean, well-separated and well-layered) and the 1960s feels larger and more theatrical. Again, it's certainly a matter of preference, and both amaze in terms of resolution, imaging, and layering - with the 1960s the victor on depth, body, naturalness and scale, and the Horus trumping it in stage cleanliness, air and separation.

The upper midrange and treble is probably where the two titans differ most. The 1960s sticks to theme, with an upper midrange that provides minimal sparkle to maintain its warm and inviting atmosphere, and a treble that's superbly extended for brilliant overall resolution and top-class image stability, yet attenuated to avoid harshness or any unnecessary brightness. The Horus, on the other hand, reminds me of the A18's Tia-endowed treble presentation: Airy, accentuated, sparkly, clean, clear and lively, yet baby-bottom smooth. The Horus's treble presentation presents a tremendous amount of clarity and light with a brilliant balance of shimmer and smoothness for an ultimately painless delivery of detail. It's impressively tuned and, in my opinion, is a bigger achievement than the top-end of the 1960s, but that doesn't mean its straight-up better either. Despite the Horus's wildly different presentation and superior cleanliness and clarity, it's not miles ahead in resolution, and is edged out in naturalness, roundedness, and meatiness. Again, it's simply a matter of preference (truer than ever in this specific frequency range), and it'll come down to whether you'd rather have your IEMs sound cleaner or more natural. Either way, you'll be gifted with grade-A technical performance to complement the rest of the spectrum.

So, with all this out of the way, the S$2,399 question still remains: Do I think the Horus is worth the cash? As someone who owns an IEM like the Zeus, had I not owned the 2-wire 1960s already, today would mark the next six months I'd spend thinking about whether or not I should ditch my plans of buying a car. But, as a 1960s owner, even in 2-wire form, I don't think the technical improvements and difference in character are enough for me to warrant an upgrade. However, if you can afford to splurge the cash, and you want one of the most transparent, revealing, and well-performing cables on the market to attach to your IEM, then I'd suggest you give the Horus a look. :)

P.S. @EffectAudio, this happened within days of the unit arriving at Jaben Indonesia and me gently pulling the plug off of my Zeus; the metal barrel came off and spun freely with the adhesive holding no weight whatsoever. I sincerely hope no one out there with a S$2,399-lighter wallet shares the same fate...

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,232 of 4,183
Hey guys! I recently managed to demo the Effect Audio Horus at my local Jaben. Here are my impressions (plus comparisons to my 2-wire 1960s) copied and pasted from the Effect Audio thread:

Thank you for the review.

I'm really impressed by PWaudio and how they were able to produce a cooper cable (yes, expensive) that has a sound signature taht is very different from any other cooper cables I have.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #1,233 of 4,183
I was wondering for a long time if anyone had opened up their PW 1960s to see is it really only pure copper inside.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,235 of 4,183
I was wondering for a long time if anyone had opened up their PW 1960s to see is it really only pure copper inside.

I've seen one end of the PWAudio 1960s opened for a retermination job, and I can confirm that the conductor is indeed pure copper. It looked like any other copper wire to me, so I'm guessing the magic is in the shielding/sleeving.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #1,236 of 4,183

Nice Review Vin Deezel..

hwvkgkf.gif

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,238 of 4,183

great impressionss - however i can't help but feel that 1960 2-wire is surely the better deal as it seems to be an equal opponent of Horus but costing much, much less

again great impressions , now i am more eager to try the 1960 2-wire with my zeus XR

cheers

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,239 of 4,183
Oct 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #1,241 of 4,183
Hi @flinkenick and all , I need advice for a replacement cable for my Andromeda (pair with zx2). I found the stock sound to be a bit too thin and v-shaped for my liking so I would like something that's more warm and lush. My favorite genre is vocal so I would prefer a mid-centric sound that would result in warm and lush female vocals (ADx series-ish if you will, just not that colored)
I have a PW n5 coming later this afternoon and will give update on thow that will fare, but I'd still want to use the waiting time to ask for other recommendation. After a bit of research, I think that gold plated copper would fit me the best but I'm open to any other type as well. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,242 of 4,183
Maybe you can try EA Lionheart

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #1,245 of 4,183

Users who are viewing this thread

Back