High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jun 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #886 of 4,183
I've got a potentially dumb question for the cable experts here, if anyone wants to entertain it. It seems that in higher-end silver cables, we now have a choice these days of smaller gauge 8-braid designs or larger gauge 4-braid designs. All things being equal (if that's even possible), is there a consensus on which is better? I can't really do the math, but it would sound like 4-braid design of 22awg would be about the same material as 26 or 28awg 8-braid designs. Just curios here :)

-Collin-

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #887 of 4,183
I've got a potentially dumb question for the cable experts here, if anyone wants to entertain it. It seems that in higher-end silver cables, we now have a choice these days of smaller gauge 8-braid designs or larger gauge 4-braid designs. All things being equal (if that's even possible), is there a consensus on which is better? I can't really do the math, but it would sound like 4-braid design of 22awg would be about the same material as 26 or 28awg 8-braid designs. Just curios here :)

-Collin-

I know Trevor of Norne Audio personally feels there is no way to get the same bass response from anything save a large gauge conductor.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #888 of 4,183
I know Trevor of Norne Audio personally feels there is no way to get the same bass response from anything save a large gauge conductor.

Agreed

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Jun 9, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #889 of 4,183
Does anyone have a try for lionheart from EffectAdio? Since my andromeda lack sub-bass that sometimes trigger my feeling. I read the review of cable but terminate 4.4mm will not have PSquared connectors which is confirmed a lot improvement in depth perception :frowning2:(

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #890 of 4,183
Does anyone have a try for lionheart from EffectAdio? Since my andromeda lack sub-bass that sometimes trigger my feeling. I read the review of cable but terminate 4.4mm will not have PSquared connectors which is confirmed a lot improvement in depth perception :frowning2:(
Not sure if any cable can fix that for you. I like the Andromeda a lot, but when I want some serious rumbling subbass I grab for my Solar or cheaper (but also very good) IT03 instead.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #891 of 4,183

I am using Leonidas. It does give some rumble but not that much. It's a BA iem afterall.

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #895 of 4,183
Yep I Think about it too but currently curiosity about Sony balanced out might drive me to the cable upgrade.
From what I've read/understood, both WM1A and WM1Z should sound better from balanced out (once it's burned in) => you should probably notice an improvement in sq there already.
One other advantage going balanced with these 2 daps is that Native DSD can be played without any downsampling going on in the background :thinking:

Good luck with picking the right cable...

Jun 10, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #896 of 4,183
Oh have anyone try Ref8 with K10u?

Jun 10, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #897 of 4,183
From what I've read/understood, both WM1A and WM1Z should sound better from balanced out (once it's burned in) => you should probably notice an improvement in sq there already.
I keep wondering if the balanced out on my AK70 will be worth using or not, there are so many contrasting reports on its performance.

Sometimes I wish I had stuck with Sony. The WM1A/Z seems to have done the balanced out really well and the battery life is so nice to have. My AK70 can do up to 10 hours and I am constantly charging, whereas my little bitty A15 can keep going for 2 or 3 hours even when it is indicating the battery is empty. The WM1A/Z also has something like 30+ hours and is really convenient while on 12 hour journeys like I did last week. :wink:

Jun 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #898 of 4,183
Oh have anyone try Ref8 with K10u?

I tried it with Kaiser Encore, and loved the sound.

Currently, my Ref8 stays on the 64Audio U12, because it makes those IEMs my absolute favorite thing to listen to.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #899 of 4,183
Linum Super Bax

Connection: 2pin, 3.5mm TRS

Source: AK380Cu+AmpCu

Iem: Zeus-XRA (XIV set up)

Pros: Small size, flexible, performance/value ratio

Cons: 2pin connectors look cheap and bended. Only available in 3.5mm TRS, would be better to have memory wire.

Sound Stage and Presentation: The stage is just the right size. It’s not too huge nor too small. However, the depth of the stage isn’t on par with TOTL cable. The sound tends to go a bit to slightly warmer than neutral (Zeus is kinda on the cold side. With Linum bax, it seems a bit warmer.). Speed is really good so it sounds smooth.

Low: Bass is tight, and very fast. Decay time is very very short. Not much of texture details but impact is good. It doesn’t reach as deep as TOTL cable like Heracles but it still better than stock cable.

Mid: Vocal is forward. It seems to bring more details to vocal than bass.

High: High has very nice sparkles with slight roll-off to reduce the harshness and sharpness not to pierce your ears.

Score

Soundstage width: 7/10

Soundstage depth: 5/10

Bass: 7.5/10

Mid: 8.5/10

High: 8/10

Value: 8/10

Original Cable Orpheus MK5 8-wire (180 USD) (Copper Cable)

Connection: 2pin, 3.5mm TRS (in house copper plug)

Pros: strong 2-pin connector, deep bass, warm, best bang for the bucks for cable under $200 that I’ve tried.

Cons: Harsh Treble, The in house 3.5mm plug sometimes short-circuit with AK380Cu amp causing a lot of hiss, cable can be tangle easy if not roll right (I let my friend borrowed and she ruined it T_T)

Sound Stage and Presentation: MK 5 seems to have similar width to other cable in the $200 region; however, I found it to have a better depth. Due to the nature of copper cable, it makes the sound warm.

Bass: Bass hits deep and rumble. It has very nice impact with Zeus-XRA.

Mid: Vocal is not forward but rather hide within the band instruments.

High: High has a clear sparkle but harsh. It could be piercing and unpleasant to hear after long listening time.

Score

Soundstage width: 7.5/10

Soundstage depth: 7/10

Bass: 8.5/10

Mid: 8/10

High: 8/10

Value: 8.5/10

Original Cable Zeus UE X 8-wire (300 USD) (Silver Cable)

Connection: 2pin, 3.5mm TRS (in house plug)

Pros: Micro details, soundstage width.

Cons: bass isn’t boomy, distance between each musical instruments doesn’t scale really with increase stage in some songs. Too technical.

Sound Stage and Presentation: Sound stage is very wide and depth is pretty good for cable at this price. However, distance between musical instruments doesn’t scale with increase stage. It seems like cymbal are pushed to the side of the stage while other instruments cluster in the middle. Also, because of wider stage than MK5, bass seems to have way less impact. Speed is very similar to MK5.

Bass: Bass hits deep but lack body and impact. However, you can hear a bit more details than MK5.

Mid: Vocal is not forward but rather hide within the band instruments. Imaging is very precise.

High: High has a clear and nice sparkles. Details are very good. This is where it outshines its little brother MK5.

Score

Soundstage width: 9/10

Soundstage depth: 8/10

Bass: 8/10

Mid: 8.5/10

High: 8.5/10

Value: 8/10

Original Cable OC Au X 8-wire (550 USD) (Gold Plated Silver Cable)

Connection: 2pin, 2.5mm TRRS Furutech Cabron Plug

Pros: Boomy bass, large soundstage, Sparkles

Cons: Price

OC Au X is the best cable under Original Cable brand. It combines the best things from Orpheus MK5 and Zeus UEX.

Sound Stage and Presentation: It has its middle brother Zeus UEX soundstage. However, this time everything scales with the increase stage size. It’s not too technical probably due to the gold plated. To me, it feels like this is the Zeus UEX in the warmer side with proper stage presentation.

Bass: Bass hits deep and rumble with lots of details comparing to MK5. It has very nice impact with Zeus-XRA.

Mid: Vocal is positioned a bit forward. It is well pronounce with body and impact.

High: High has a clear sparkle with slightly roll-off to reduce sharpness and harshness. This provides more details and air.

Score

Soundstage width: 9/10

Soundstage depth: 8/10

Bass: 8.5/10

Mid: 9/10

High: 9/10

Value: 9/10

Effect Audio Heracles 8-wire (1500 USD)

Connection: 2pin, 2.5 mm TRRS

Pros: Boomy bass, large soundstage

Cons: Very Very Very Very Expensive

Sound Stage and Presentation: Heracles is beast in soundstage

Bass: Full body bass which hits deep, hard and rumble with lots of details. This is the most impactful cable in EA line that I’ve tried

Mid: Vocal is positioned a bit forward. It is well pronounce with body and impact.

High: High has a clear sparkle with slightly roll-off to reduce sharpness and harshness. This provides more details and air.

Score

Soundstage width: 10/10

Soundstage depth: 8.5/10

Bass: 10/10

Mid: 9.5/10

High: 9/10

Value: 6/10

Effect Audio Mars 4-wire + Leonidas 4-wire bespoke (1700 USD)

Connection: 2pin, 2.5 mm TRRS

Pros: Technical Beast

Cons: Very Very Very Very Expensive

Sound Stage and Presentation: Same as Heracles, beast in soundstage

Bass: Full body bass which hits deep, hard and rumble with lots of details. It’s really good but not as good as Heracles.

High: High has a clear sparkle with no roll-off to reduce. However, it’s not at all piercing, harsh, and too sharp. You will feel more air than Heracles

Score

Soundstage width: 10/10

Soundstage depth: 8.5/10

Bass: 9/10

Mid: 9.5/10

High: 10/10

Value: 5.5/10

P.S. Forgot to mention that OC Cable are single core ultra pure OCC cable while Effect Audio cable are Litz bundle.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #900 of 4,183
For those who would like to know how OC Au X performs against EA Heracles, and EA Mars+Leo bespoke.
The best things to describe is EA Heracles and EA MLB are a step a head of OC Au X.
However, if you consider price as one of your benchmark, OC would definitely win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back