High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jun 16, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #916 of 4,183
Wow,
Symbiote Elite 19 – 18.8awg OCC Silver – Ultimate 2 pin CIEM Cable
Darn it got my v3 8 braid before its launch at double helix. Oh well Black Friday deal on my v3 will have to do, but I'd order this.

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #917 of 4,183
Sorry not sure what happened with the font

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #919 of 4,183
The BAL out of the AK70 is considerably warmer than the SE output. It's more full bodied, treble is less prominent, and it has a more laidback presentation. The SE output has a more energetic and sparkly treble, and a thumpier and tighter bass. This gives the SE output more clarity, transparency, fun, and engagement. The BAL out though has a slightly larger soundstage, more depth, and better L/R separation.
Thanks for the info, very helpful! Will see if I can at some point get a balanced cable to try it out for myself. I always like "laid back".

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #920 of 4,183
Thanks for the info, very helpful! Will see if I can at some point get a balanced cable to try it out for myself. I always like "laid back".

No problem! Considering your IEMs are the CA Ei.3, the presentation of the BAL output would pair better I reckon.

Anyways, back to cables, I'm looking for a cable to pair with my Zeus-XR. I'm currently pairing it with the Han Sound Audio Zen and I love its natural tonality, but I'm looking to add a transparency and cleanliness to the sound; a boost in technical performance without altering the FR.

So far, my interest has been piqued by PS's new GPC Litz and EA's Lionheart, but I haven't heard the 1960s in a while and that may be a candidate as well. Do you guys know of anything else that might tickle my fancy? Thanks in advance!

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #921 of 4,183
Hello everybody, I recently reviewed newcomer HanSound Audio's Aurora, a 6 wire hybrid with silver and silver-gold wires:

http://theheadphonelist.com/hansound-audio-aurora/

A4.png

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #922 of 4,183
I still haven't tried this out on the U12 yet, but I sure rocked out to this pairing all day at work. The plusSound X-Series GPC Litz adds the fullness and just that touch of warmth Encore lacked with my usual small gauge SPC Litz. I absolutely loved what I was hearing. One of the finest listening experiences I've had.

That looks like a really comfy, ergonomic cable. I have the normal copper one just like it and haven't though to try it with my K10, but I will now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this cool cable.

BTW, sent you a PM a few days ago :)

-Collin-

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #923 of 4,183
That looks like a really comfy, ergonomic cable. I have the normal copper one just like it and haven't though to try it with my K10, but I will now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this cool cable.

BTW, sent you a PM a few days ago :)

-Collin-

PM sent. :wink:

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #924 of 4,183
No problem! Considering your IEMs are the CA Ei.3, the presentation of the BAL output would pair better I reckon.
That could very well be. I switched from the stock cable to the Effect Audio 'Eline' (preproduction) and that is an SPC cable that provides a smoother treble and larger stage, which I felt really benefitted the Ei.3. I hope I can try one of the other Effect Audio cables soon and get that with 2.5mm TRRS. The Ares II and Eros should work very well. However, based on what you said I think that perhaps a Thor Silver might also work from the balanced out. Considering I listen to a lot of classical symphonies that benefit from a bigger stage and better separation, I can see sense in it.

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #925 of 4,183
That could very well be. I switched from the stock cable to the Effect Audio 'Eline' (preproduction) and that is an SPC cable that provides a smoother treble and larger stage, which I felt really benefitted the Ei.3. I hope I can try one of the other Effect Audio cables soon and get that with 2.5mm TRRS. The Ares II and Eros should work very well. However, based on what you said I think that perhaps a Thor Silver might also work from the balanced out. Considering I listen to a lot of classical symphonies that benefit from a bigger stage and better separation, I can see sense in it.

Ahh, the Eline sounds like a Thor Copper successor, nice! The Thor Silver II will aid in soundstage and imaging due to its increased clarity, but it also has a warm and euphonic midrange, which makes its focus more on musicality rather than technicality. If you want better separation around that price point, I can recommend either the DHC Symbiote SP V3, or the 8-wire version of the Ares II.

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #926 of 4,183
Ahh, the Eline sounds like a Thor Copper successor, nice! The Thor Silver II will aid in soundstage and imaging due to its increased clarity, but it also has a warm and euphonic midrange, which makes its focus more on musicality rather than technicality. If you want better separation around that price point, I can recommend either the DHC Symbiote SP V3, or the 8-wire version of the Ares II.
Thanks! Will check those out as well.

The Eline is not, I believe, a Thor Copper successor. From what I understood it is a new entry-level cable, but Effect Audio is still working on finalising the design (just the parts, the cable itself is finished).

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #927 of 4,183
Thanks! Will check those out as well.

The Eline is not, I believe, a Thor Copper successor. From what I understood it is a new entry-level cable, but Effect Audio is still working on finalising the design (just the parts, the cable itself is finished).

I see, so it's an Effect Audio Apollo successor! :D I haven't seen that cable in such a long time, one of the OGs in Asia's IEM cable industry.

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #928 of 4,183
Jun 18, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #929 of 4,183
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #930 of 4,183
As a follow-up to my search for a cable to pair with my Zeus-XR, I tried five cables at Akihabara's e-earphone; four from Effect Audio and one from Labkable. I was honestly disappointed to see the lack of available demos for the products they sold. There were also tons of demos only available with MMCX connectors, and I didn't have a 2-pin adapter unfortunately. Nonetheless, the following are my impressions:

Labkable Takumi: The Takumi is an 8-wire cable with silver-gold, SPC, and copper conductors (according to @MikePortnoy's review). I found the Takumi very coloured and thus completely unsuitable for what I was looking for, but it had very interesting properties. It was a rather v-shaped cable, with a full and impactful bass, and an accentuated upper midrange. Its bottom-end is full and thumpy, its midrange is neutral and rather transparent, and its treble is very sparkly, potentially sounding sharp and sibilant with the wrong pairing. Layering and clarity gets a boost due to the upper-mid spike, and soundstaging is deeper than it is wider. A unique cable with a unique sound, but not the one to get for the XR IMO.

Effect Audio Leonidas: The Leonidas is one of Effect Audio's most highly-regarded cables, but I was never a huge fan of its price-to-performance ratio. I tried it again with an open mind, but unfortunately, my opinion still stood. I still enjoy its bass, which is superbly natural, and its midrange, which is sweet and intimate, but I find it lacks air and sparkle in the upper registers to sound articulate and clear, as well as the proper dynamics to sound fun or engaging. Its soundstage is also naturally spaced, but layering takes a hit from the relaxed highs. It's a more euphonic and laidback cable, and I favor its musicality more than its technicalities.

Effect Audio Mars: The Mars, in the short audition I had with it, sounded very similar to the Leonidas, except with a more exciting upper midrange. I felt it improved on the Leonidas by being a more technical cable, but it still had the Leonidas's problem of a lack in dynamism and punch.

Effect Audio Ares II (8-wire): The Ares II has, by now, become an extremely popular cable and I was fortunate enough to try its 8-wire version. This is where things started to go in the right direction. Dynamics were still a bit lacking in the midrange, but transparency, clarity, and layering all received a bump, due to a more neutral, immediate, and textured signature. I was surprised by the Ares II 8-wire as it didn't carry the typical "copper" sound. It was fast, tight, and even sparkly in the upper midrange/treble. It was still more colored than natural, but it was decently engaging, and pretty close to what I was looking for.

Effect Audio Lionheart: This is what I was looking for. It wasn't long into the audition that I realized the Lionheart's signature was very much complimentary to the Zeus-XR's. It's a cable that is full-bodied, energetic, engaging, and technically strong as well. Plus, it was finally punchy and dynamic enough to fully grab my attention. Bass is surprisingly close to neutral; it has more in common with the Ares II than the Leo/Mars, despite its composition resembling more of the latter. But, it had an accurate timbre, and was quite reflective of real-life instruments. Its treble is also the perfect balance between clarity/sparkle and naturalness. It doesn't colour it to boost clarity like the Thor Silver II, nor does it roll off to sound organic like the Leo; it's just right. The midrange, though, is where this cable shines. It's forward, bold, and brilliantly natural, with layering, transparency, and detail retrieval in spades. Female vocals and instruments "came alive" in a way that wasn't present in the previous cables, achieving that last 10% I was looking for in the Zeus's sound. I was incredibly happy with the cable, and moreso to found out that it was in stock when I went to purchase it, despite its reported scarcity worldwide. It is now attached to my XR and I couldn't be happier.

This concludes my little shoot-out at Akihabara's e-earphone. I'll be headed to both Osaka's e-earphone, as well as Music Sanctuary in Singapore in the coming week(s), and I can't wait to cable-roll and share further impressions soon. Who knows, maybe something out there can take the XR's beyond 100% :wink:

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back