High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jun 7, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #871 of 4,183
Any good copper cable recomanded for K10?

Nic is doing a write up of pure copper cables (in $150 bracket). You have a choice of PWA No5, Effect Audio Ares II, and Han Sound Audio Zen. All great cables.

Jun 7, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #872 of 4,183
This was posted in Discovery thread, but I figured you guys might enjoy it. Zero Audio just released a DIY kit to make your own cables :wink:

http://www.zeroaudio.jp/product_ZAD.html

E.jpg
F.jpg
C.jpg

A.jpg
B.jpg
D.jpg

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #873 of 4,183
This was posted in Discovery thread, but I figured you guys might enjoy it. Zero Audio just released a DIY kit to make your own cables :wink:

http://www.zeroaudio.jp/product_ZAD.html

I've never made a cable but been curious... would that work with any wire if using their smart plugs and connectors?? If so that looks awesome! Any possible loss in sound quality in this vs traditional soldering, aside from only being able to use those connectors and plugs?

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #874 of 4,183
Nic is doing a write up of pure copper cables (in $150 bracket). You have a choice of PWA No5, Effect Audio Ares II, and Han Sound Audio Zen. All great cables.

How does the PWA No.5 sound comparing to Ares and Zen?

Cant find any review.... :worried:

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #875 of 4,183
How does the PWA No.5 sound comparing to Ares and Zen?

Cant find any review.... :worried:
I sent my PW no 5 back to be reterminated to 4.4, but then decided not to so I will receive it on Monday again. But Calvin also loaned me a no 5 8-braid terminated to 4.4 so I can still try it balanced, looking forward to that. So it will take a small while for the last review. But no 5 sounds really good, it has a clean sound, but also a very realistic tone and nice vocal balance. Also, @ezekiel77 posted a writeup somewhere a while ago.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #876 of 4,183
I sent my PW no 5 back to be reterminated to 4.4, but then decided not to so I will receive it on Monday again. But Calvin also loaned me a no 5 8-braid terminated to 4.4 so I can still try it balanced, looking forward to that. So it will take a small while for the last review. But no 5 sounds really good, it has a clean sound, but also a very realistic tone and nice vocal balance. Also, @ezekiel77 posted a writeup somewhere a while ago.

So you got the WM1Z? How is it compared to your other DAP's? Heavy? :wink:

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #877 of 4,183
Jun 8, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #878 of 4,183
So you got the WM1Z? How is it compared to your other DAP's? Heavy? :wink:
Yeah I picked one up second hand, cost all my savings from the last half year hehe. I will write up a comparison with my AK sometime soon.

But yes heavy!

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #880 of 4,183
I see... I am now left down to Zen or No5 which is better? From built quality to sound

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #881 of 4,183
I see... I am now left down to Zen or No5 which is better? From built quality to sound
Zen is warmer and smoother, you could say it has a very slight L-shape although its bass isn't necessarily much enhanced, it just has a bit more upper bass than Ares II and no 5. No 5 is cleaner with a nice timbre. I know people that prefer Zen, I think I personally prefer no 5. But need to listen more when I get it.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #882 of 4,183
Zen is warmer and smoother, you could say it has a very slight L-shape although its bass isn't necessarily much enhanced, it just has a bit more upper bass than Ares II and no 5. No 5 is cleaner with a nice timbre. I know people that prefer Zen, I think I personally prefer no 5. But need to listen more when I get it.

No.5 Mids and Treble comparing to Zen?

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #883 of 4,183
What would be the best cable for prophile 8?

That's what Marco Rämisch is questioning himself too while working on the CIEM version of the PP8. I guess a cable that doesn't affect the frequency curve itself (in order to maintain the reference sound), but only expands the soundstage would be good? But I don't know which one that would be. Maybe you ask the company InEar if they have found a proper cable upgrade yet for their future CIEM release.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back