High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Nov 26, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #661 of 903
I'm looking at moving back into high end UIEMs and can't decide between the following options:

-Tralucent 1plus2
-Stagediver SD3
-maybe Fitear TG334?

My preferences lean towards a visceral bass (that DOES NOT bleed into the lower mids), sparkly treble, and a coherent sound.  I find most phones sound too bright or too dark.  I liked my IE8s, but found the bass a little flabby or uncontrolled.  The UM3X sounded coherent but not energetic or musical.  I liked the detail I heard in the JH13 universal I tried but thought it too bright (maybe a bad seal).  In fullsize headphones I really liked the Beyer T1 and also the Audio Technica W5000, two very different phones for sure but both had a very engaging and coherent sound.  Detail retrieval would be nice too but not vital.  Music preferences: instrumental electronica-ish, (Boards of Canada, Grouper, etc) hip hop, and, mostly poorly recorded, blues.

Ideas?

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #664 of 903
Maybe Noble 6 can be good below 1k. SD3 is not really TOTL piece. 1+2 might be too bright and sibilant. TG334 is always a good choice I suppose, kinda like a legendary iem around here but I don't know why, I feel like there are better options. I don't have much experience with new UM50pro or W60 so can't say a thing about them. 846 is good but I think they will be too bassy for you. They have a nice bone shattering bass and quite liquid, rich mids. Treble is hit or miss if you ask me. Some like it a lot, some don't. I think I am somewhere in between.

Edit: Come to think about it, if you like IE8 but want more controlled bass, maybe 846 can seal the deal for you too.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #666 of 903
Thanks much for the feedback guys.  I really would love to hear the Ref 1 in person but its not particularly easy.  Maybe I'll throw up a WTB here.  

Couple questions: 

Is the sibilance that AmberOzL mentioned less noticeable in the Ref 1?
Can you describe what the highs are like on the 846?  I've seen them described as artificial or peaky- similar to Ultrasone? 

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #670 of 903
  I'm looking at moving back into high end UIEMs and can't decide between the following options:  
-Tralucent 1plus2
-Stagediver SD3
-maybe Fitear TG334?

My preferences lean towards a visceral bass (that DOES NOT bleed into the lower mids), sparkly treble, and a coherent sound.  I find most phones sound too bright or too dark.  I liked my IE8s, but found the bass a little flabby or uncontrolled.  The UM3X sounded coherent but not energetic or musical.  I liked the detail I heard in the JH13 universal I tried but thought it too bright (maybe a bad seal).  In fullsize headphones I really liked the Beyer T1 and also the Audio Technica W5000, two very different phones for sure but both had a very engaging and coherent sound.  Detail retrieval would be nice too but not vital.  Music preferences: instrumental electronica-ish, (Boards of Canada, Grouper, etc) hip hop, and, mostly poorly recorded, blues.

Sounds like you want the StageDiver SD4 (not SD3).

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #672 of 903
I'd suggest the 1Plus2. I'm sensitive to treble and sibilance myself but with Comply tips I have little to no issues with 1Plus2's with regards to feeling like they're too bright or exaggerate sibilance.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #673 of 903
Comply ruin the rest of the sound while reducing the sibilance, not worth at all IMO. I read his posts again, I think 846 would suit him very nice also he can use different filters as well as small mods to find the sweet spot.

tomscy2000 suggested SD4, I am also curious about it but to be honest, never heard of it or read anything about it but I trust tomscy2000 a lot so I would also take his suggestion seriously too.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #674 of 903
Hey all 

Q on the Shure SE846

I recently moved from a pair of er4s iems to stagediver sd-2. Probably a conservative move SQ wise as I was not in a position to demo and i wanted something similar without much more bass. 
However NOW I think hmmm pumping bass could be awesome. 

Any impressions on se846 vs the stagediver sd-2? 

I love sound stage ... depth and height more than width alone. How does the soundstage on the se846 sound? Cheers 

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #675 of 903
  Hey all 

Q on the Shure SE846

I recently moved from a pair of er4s iems to stagediver sd-2. Probably a conservative move SQ wise as I was not in a position to demo and i wanted something similar without much more bass. 
However NOW I think hmmm pumping bass could be awesome. 

Any impressions on se846 vs the stagediver sd-2? 

I love sound stage ... depth and height more than width alone. How does the soundstage on the se846 sound? Cheers 

SE846 has more bass than SD-2 (quantity wise).
If you are interested see graph below

Users who are viewing this thread

Back