HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #24,316 of 25,574
What amp do you use with your arya v2?
I ask because my arya v2 became double good with my 10W burson, coming from 4w topping. Now i use susvara 95% of time, but sometimes i regret for the big money i lost. And dont go susvara if your chain has not the power to drive it. See that even arya v2 are hard to drive properly.
Using Burson 3XGT 2023 (not sure where you read 10 W- maybe it is rated that at 8 ohms), and both Arya V2 AND Susvara are good from that with Yggdrasil OG serving as DAC. I say ‘good’ not great because while Arya is probably being driven optimally by the Burson, its tonality cp to the Susvara I find too forward (shouty even at times) in the treble without adding significant EQ. Sus is ALMOST perfect on the Burson’s, only lacking IMO in soundstage.

Burson has just released new V7 op-amps (~$430 USD per set for existing owner, currently discounted 16%). Burson allows to roll existing for the new op amps without voiding the warranty. Early reviews suggest the V7 classics benefit the 3XGT imaging/soundstage. I really have appreciated Burson rolling out these upgrades, rivaling Schiits approach but possibly better because it is fully do-able by the user. Schiit suggests if you are not electrically trained or if you need hand-holding to send your unit to them for upgrades (this is for their DACs - to my knowledge none of their amps are upgrade-able). Anyway this may be the ticket for me- probably will try it out before (or hopefully instead of) my crazy plan to buy a pair of Schiit Tyrs to use with the Susvaras.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #24,318 of 25,574
Ordered the ZMF lambskin pads. Since they matched the stock pads sound signature the most I decided to play it safe. I'll try to write up a small impression once I get them and listen for them for a day or two.
And I shall follow up with my extensive Caldera pad review, as I will have all of them. Made obsolete by the official ZMF Susvara pads, hah.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #24,321 of 25,574
Dancable is doing a double blind cable test at the upcoming Canjam, should be interesting
I'm actually helping out with that. Vinh and I have been talking. I do research for a living, so we are trying to make it as sound as possible. He's trying to get around 30 people. That should be a good sample size. It's not perfect, but it's better than 1 person. It should be an interesting study

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #24,322 of 25,574
I'm actually helping out with that. Vinh and I have been talking. I do research for a living, so we are trying to make it as sound as possible. He's trying to get around 30 people. That should be a good sample size. It's not perfect, but it's better than 1 person. It should be an interesting study
Sadly such things are mostly unusable. Passion for Sound did such a blind test and the data was: People heard a difference and an enhancement in the sound when he did not change anything. 70% of the people were convinced the second listening was clearly better. That's also a reason why i am somewhat reluctant to get expensive cables. In the end, such minute differences (if there are any) probably don't affect the enjoyment.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #24,323 of 25,574
Sadly such things are mostly unusable. Passion for Sound did such a blind test and the data was: People heard a difference and an enhancement in the sound when he did not change anything. 70% of the people were convinced the second listening was clearly better. That's also a reason why i am somewhat reluctant to get expensive cables. In the end, such minute differences (if there are any) probably don't affect the enjoyment.
We've accounted for that. The results will be the results. It'll be an interesting test nonetheless. There will always be downsides and complaints, but at least they are trying. 🤷‍♂️

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #24,324 of 25,574
Hopefully you guys have a high end transparent setup

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #24,325 of 25,574
You can get these types of effects in a vacuum, but I doubt you will get more than 5-10% thinking they didn't hear a difference when they did. And if you play the different cables first as a reference, and THEN try what he did, you will get a drastically different result. IMO the problem is without a solid reference point, listeners will underestimate the differences and imagine identical sources are different.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #24,326 of 25,574
We've accounted for that. The results will be the results. It'll be an interesting test nonetheless. There will always be downsides and complaints, but at least they are trying. 🤷‍♂️
I dunno. I've used a couple Danacables, and I think it should be an easy comparison. The Nirvana is drastically different than stock, even the frequency response.

I know such people exist, but it's hard for me to imagine not noticing a difference like that.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #24,327 of 25,574
Hopefully you guys have a high end transparent setup
Vinh will have to answer that question. I'm not sure what his setup will be, but you do bring up a good point. I will discuss it with him.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #24,328 of 25,574
for cables , my personal belief is the entire chain is at play... depending on the amp circuit, the impedance of the cable/headphone will and can make a change in sound signatures... and some amps don't care what you hang on to them.... thats why you can have amps that pair well and some amps don't pair well even though you used the same cables and headphones... if you get an amp that is sensitive to the impedance and you change out cables with different materials with different impedance then you should hear a difference.. cause thats how it works... want to see if this is true all you have to do is put a variable resistor on a amp that is sensitive to the impedance and measure the amp as you change the variable resistor... and there is nothing wrong with buying a well built cable if you like the build quality/colors/materials but they don't change the sound signature.... if you get a nice cable and it makes your chain sound better thats icing on the cake...

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #24,329 of 25,574
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #24,330 of 25,574
Dancable is doing a double blind cable test at the upcoming Canjam, should be interesting
they are making a BIG mistake...cables are at best nuanced differences and a show with noise and hustle and bustle will not be able to showcase whatever nuanced improvements there are

Users who are viewing this thread

Back