HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #24,346 of 25,671
Received my Feliks Envy Perfomance today. Been comparing it with Holo Bliss on Holo May, Susvara was the main headphone.

What can I say, Susvara feels like a different headphone with Envy and its 300b tubes, its pretty insane. Susvara gains all the "physicality and thickness"- qualities of Caldera, maintaining the giant stage, superior detail and airyness. In addition there is lush, wet tube euphonic quality to vocals. The detail retrieval, slam and stage are bigger on Envy. It sounds very real with zero digital glare. Probably I can say that I heard Susvara for the first time today, its incredible what this headphone is capable off on a right chain. Saying this its absurd how high you have to go to experience it, but with Susvara Holo Bliss (which is damn great and is not a cheap amp by no means) feels like a toy next to Feliks Envy. In regard of power - I cant get nowhere close 12 o'clock volume with Envy, with Bliss I regullary could max out the volume with some recordings.

Cant wait to try Elrog tubes with Susvara next.
I cant say it enough ... R2r DAC + Susvara + Elrog 300-MO / Quad Mullard CV6 on adapters and for my Cayin mkII the Ratheon Grey plate 22DE4 for rectifiers. Perfect. Enjoy every piece of music you RE-listen too! Its like you never heard it before.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #24,347 of 25,671
I cant say it enough ... R2r DAC + Susvara + Elrog 300-MO / Quad Mullard CV6 on adapters and for my Cayin mkII the Ratheon Grey plate 22DE4 for rectifiers. Perfect. Enjoy every piece of music you RE-listen too! Its like you never heard it before.
Experiencing that already with the stock Fullmusic tubes on the perfomance edtion tbh, hearing new things almost in every recording apart of all the better timbre thing. Cant wait for the Elrogs to ship ("just" ER). I dont say it lightly but Envy might be my best purchase since entering the hobby years ago.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #24,348 of 25,671
Received my Feliks Envy Perfomance today. Been comparing it with Holo Bliss on Holo May, Susvara was the main headphone.

What can I say, Susvara feels like a different headphone with Envy and its 300b tubes, its pretty insane. Susvara gains all the "physicality and thickness"- qualities of Caldera, maintaining the giant stage, superior detail and airyness. In addition there is lush, wet tube euphonic quality to vocals. The detail retrieval, slam and stage are bigger on Envy. It sounds very real with zero digital glare. Probably I can say that I heard Susvara for the first time today, its incredible what this headphone is capable off on a right chain. Saying this its absurd how high you have to go to experience it, but with Susvara Holo Bliss (which is damn great and is not a cheap amp by no means) feels like a toy next to Feliks Envy. In regard of power - I cant get nowhere close 12 o'clock volume with Envy, with Bliss I regullary could max out the volume with some recordings.

The pairing of tubes with the Susvara is really what has brought new life to the headphones. The Oor+Hypsos was absolutely no slouch, but the things you describe are exactly why I just cannot get enough of the Susvara now. The thing that I missed out on most with the Susvara was the mid-range... or so I thought. Going to the WA23 not only took the mid range to a level that I really wanted from the Susvara, but it improved on everything else I already enjoyed.

Congrats on the Envy Performance!

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #24,349 of 25,671
The pairing of tubes with the Susvara is really what has brought new life to the headphones. The Oor+Hypsos was absolutely no slouch, but the things you describe are exactly why I just cannot get enough of the Susvara now. The thing that I missed out on most with the Susvara was the mid-range... or so I thought. Going to the WA23 not only took the mid range to a level that I really wanted from the Susvara, but it improved on everything else I already enjoyed.

Congrats on the Envy Performance!
Thx. Its bit of everything + euphonic lush nature of the tubes. But yeah midrange is something I apperently was missing too. The most suprising part for me though is how much bigger and detailed and well leyered everything sounds. I mean Bliss is one of the best solid state hp amps outthere, still its leagues behind Envy.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #24,350 of 25,671
Did you find the rectifiers to make a difference? Also where did you find them, seems like they are not possible to get 0_o

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #24,351 of 25,671
Did you find the rectifiers to make a difference? Also where did you find them, seems like they are not possible to get 0_o
I believe 22DE4 makes a difference. Black plates are the most revered and SICTE seem to be the impossible ones to find. It wont be long and there wont be any NOS 22de4. It took me a year to pull together 4 grey plates!

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #24,352 of 25,671

Never heard the Envy, but the Susvara is significantly better with my WA33 compared to the Bliss KTE I ran. Details, macro and microdynamics, extension on both ends, clarity, bass are all improved when I did A/B testing.

I will say that the Bliss like the entire Holo line is tuned to have great synergy with the Susvara. The Bliss is more musical,
relaxed, slightly warmer sound. It’s great for certain genre like Jazz, blues, acoustic, slower rock.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #24,353 of 25,671

I find this VERY compelling reading. I was aware of the Envy from posts earlier in the thread but now I’m making serious plans for next steps in chain improvement and it needs to come back into serious consideration.

My plan currently is/was to purchase a Freya+ (I have upgraded quad VT-231 tubes) as a pre after YGGDRASIL OG then feed the signal to a good quality power amp (AHB2 vs H190 vs Schiit Tyr- undecided still on that).

The difference cost-wise between my above-stated plan and a Performance Level Envy ($9k USD) is ~$3k USD ie $5k budgeted for the Freya+power amp.

@paradoxper earlier on in this thread you reported that Freya scales up well if good quality tubes are used eg Melz 1578, and I believe you were using CFA3 as your end-stage amp - which iirc has a similar output wattage to the Envy. Do @Leto Dal ’s descriptions resonate with your sonic experiences in your chain (if you are still using it)? I realize that if you haven’t heard the Envy it would be impossible to provide true comparison, but any response you offer will be appreciated- my question comes as a representative of those of us following/ posting on this thread for whom a $9k investment in a headphone amp —no matter how excellent— would be very difficult to pitch to the tribe eg WAF and require months of scrimping/saving/selling off other gear, whereas a $5k investment is a bit more in reach.

This is all of course in reference to Susvara performance out of said devices.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #24,354 of 25,671
I find this VERY compelling reading. I was aware of the Envy from posts earlier in the thread but now I’m making serious plans for next steps in chain improvement and it needs to come back into serious consideration.

My plan currently is/was to purchase a Freya+ (I have upgraded quad VT-231 tubes) as a pre after YGGDRASIL OG then feed the signal to a good quality power amp (AHB2 vs H190 vs Schiit Tyr- undecided still on that).

The difference cost-wise between my above-stated plan and a Performance Level Envy ($9k USD) is ~$3k USD ie $5k budgeted for the Freya+power amp.

@paradoxper earlier on in this thread you reported that Freya scales up well if good quality tubes are used eg Melz 1578, and I believe you were using CFA3 as your end-stage amp - which iirc has a similar output wattage to the Envy. Do @Leto Dal ’s descriptions resonate with your sonic experiences in your chain (if you are still using it)? I realize that if you haven’t heard the Envy it would be impossible to provide true comparison, but any response you offer will be appreciated- my question comes as a representative of those of us following/ posting on this thread for whom a $9k investment in a headphone amp —no matter how excellent— would be very difficult to pitch to the tribe eg WAF and require months of scrimping/saving/selling off other gear, whereas a $5k investment is a bit more in reach.

This is all of course in reference to Susvara performance out of said devices.
Yes, to start. Envy is much warmer and bloomy. With Freya > 1578 and CFA3, you'll find increase in space with sweeter timbre. CFA3 retains much of its character and driver control with any of these complements. I surmise the AHB2 will follow.

When compared to 300B, you're dealing with additional warmth and saturation. With the WE300B, it's not the best match as it muddles the field due to its mid bass bloat, however, Elrogs flex with finesse and elevate things like space and timing.

1578 follows more along the lines of a ER300B with less superlatives.

You need to understand your preferences, your driver and target goal.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #24,355 of 25,671
Yes, to start. Envy is much warmer and bloomy. With Freya > 1578 and CFA3, you'll find increase in space with sweeter timbre. CFA3 retains much of its character and driver control with any of these complements. I surmise the AHB2 will follow.

When compared to 300B, you're dealing with additional warmth and saturation. With the WE300B, it's not the best match as it muddles the field due to its mid bass bloat, however, Elrogs flex with finesse and elevate things like space and timing.

Much appreciated - very helpful, thank you!

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #24,357 of 25,671

Interesting that you describe WE300B as mid bass bloating. From what I read it’s the tubes many people go for with Susvara to mitigate Susvaras bit anemic mids and make those more rich.

Completely agree with the last sentence, you have to know your goal. Saying this, Envy even with stock perfomance edition tubes, it’s the best I heard Susvara to date. Waiting for Elrogs atm.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #24,358 of 25,671
Interesting that you describe WE300B as mid bass bloating. From what I read it’s the tubes many people go for with Susvara to mitigate Susvaras bit anemic mids and make those more rich.

Completely agree with the last sentence, you have to know your goal. Saying this, Envy even with stock perfomance edition tubes, it’s the best I heard Susvara to date. Waiting for Elrogs atm.
The 300B is notorious for being warm, midrange focused and bloomy in character.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #24,359 of 25,671
Hey everyone!
Looking into the susvara, and after scrolling through ALL 1600+ pages of this thread over the last couple months, I'm wondering if anyone in the calgary AB area knows where they can be demo'd along with the Ferrum amp line?
Thanks to this incredible community and this very comprehensive thread

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #24,360 of 25,671
Hey everyone!
Looking into the susvara, and after scrolling through ALL 1600+ pages of this thread over the last couple months, I'm wondering if anyone in the calgary AB area knows where they can be demo'd along with the Ferrum amp line?
Thanks to this incredible community and this very comprehensive thread
I don't know specifically, but googling and calling up some local audio shops is worth a try, a local headfi meetup in the area, or seeing if you have any local audio expos that might occur like Canjam/Axpona ( these are also worth a trip for if you don't have one locally ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back