HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 29, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #19,981 of 25,592
Yeah those recordings sound absolutely excellent, very nice and natural with tonnes of detail, texture and width and height. It's just that depthwise it never comes forward.

Well it's weird... I can hear the spatial cues telling me it sounds as if it's forward, it's just when I try to figure out how far forward it is, I realise that it's actually still back near my ears. If that makes any sense... with the ZMF Atrium, some things literally sound like they're coming from ~7cm in front of the line between my ears (with non-binarual, like Billie Eilish Happier Than Ever album for example.)
I know what you are talking about. I could be wrong but I feel it's a function of not quiet resolving dac/amp and susvara being essentially 2 open air diaphragms on both sides of your ears. You can try to wear the cans down and forward a bit but that's how they sound. Same things with all the HEK variants. Even though you may not get 6in in front of your head but a couple of inches should still be possible. I wish HFM would create angled driver placements.

To be completely honest, the first track on my HE6se is like 6in out in front of me in some parts, especially when the rest of the orchestra joined in. Cadenza portion is like a couple of inches from me.

Play track one from this. Are you able to hear a few inches of soundstage in front of you?

1675051452689.png

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #19,982 of 25,592
I know what you are talking about. I could be wrong but I feel it's a function of not quiet resolving dac/amp and susvara being essentially 2 open air diaphragms on both sides of your ears. You can try to wear the cans down and forward a bit but that's how they sound. Same things with all the HEK variants. Even though you may not get 6in in front of your head but a couple of inches should still be possible. I wish HFM would create angled driver placements.

To be completely honest, the first track on my HE6se is like 6in out in front of me in some parts, especially when the rest of the orchestra joined in. Cadenza portion is like a couple of inches from me.

Play track one from this. Are you able to hear a few inches of soundstage in front of you?

1675051452689.png

Still pretty Damn close in... but I finally realised what the problem might be. The pads are the Dekoni non perforated leather ones, they came with them when I boguht them secondhand a few days ago. I've found several reports in this thread saying they close the sound stage down a bit.

Also, to answer your previous question, I tried them in the shop with stock pads and TT2 a while back and was very impressed by the soundstage (albeit before I owned the ZMF Atrium too).

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #19,983 of 25,592
Still pretty Damn close in... but I finally realised what the problem might be. The pads are the Dekoni non perforated leather ones, they came with them when I boguht them secondhand a few days ago. I've found several reports in this thread saying they close the sound stage down a bit.

Also, to answer your previous question, I tried them in the shop with stock pads and TT2 a while back and was very impressed by the soundstage (albeit before I owned the ZMF Atrium too).

Pads in all headphones have big impact (depending on your personal HRTF), definiltey try and swap

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #19,984 of 25,592

I would use the stock pads - at least it is very slightly angled.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #19,985 of 25,592
It's shootout time, Hifiman Susvara vs the new born Stax SR-X9000 and its brother SR-009S :D :D

325419943_937189377268535_8974948689473603890_n.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #19,986 of 25,592
Any examples of especially deep non-binaural recordings?

For me, I was expecting more depth variation on these classical albums which seem very well recorded in every other way

Here’s one of the deepest sounding non-binaural recordings I know of:

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #19,987 of 25,592
Stock pads and Dekoni’s ones are so thin that in combination with Susvara’s super refined transducers tend to create a marked left and right feeling, with not much depth. Moving to ZMF Auteur hybrid solid pads makes a huge difference, in my opinion an improvement in every regard, and soundstage gains depth, it becomes less left and right and more in-front-of-you, speaker-like perspective.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #19,988 of 25,592
Stock pads and Dekoni’s ones are so thin that in combination with Susvara’s super refined transducers tend to create a marked left and right feeling, with not much depth. Moving to ZMF Auteur hybrid solid pads makes a huge difference, in my opinion an improvement in every regard, and soundstage gains depth, it becomes less left and right and more in-front-of-you, speaker-like perspective.
Lets hope Dekoni takes notes, because it is not the first time I hear about the ZMF and Susvara.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #19,989 of 25,592

How do you attached the pad to the headphone? I have a huge stack of ZMF pads.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #19,990 of 25,592
How do you attached the pad to the headphone? I have a huge stack of ZMF pads.
You need plastics adapter/ring for Susvara to use ZMF pads.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #19,992 of 25,592
Any suggestions to what preamp I could try with moon 430ha? Tried TT2 earlier but didn’t make any difference.
Is the 430HA sufficient to power the susvara on its own? I’m keen to get the susvara but my current set up is just a Yggdrasil and 430HA as the amp

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #19,993 of 25,592
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #19,994 of 25,592
Any examples of especially deep non-binaural recordings?

For me, I was expecting more depth variation on these classical albums which seem very well recorded in every other way

Henrim. Over the past several years, Columbia Music produced a bunch of one microphone recordings, live in studio. Just google "1 Mic 1 Take" and they all pop up. The Gregory Porter song I posted earlier is my fave, but there are many.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #19,995 of 25,592
Is the 430HA sufficient to power the susvara on its own? I’m keen to get the susvara but my current set up is just a Yggdrasil and 430HA as the amp
You need the same amp as this system. Sorry. Check the description of the video.

Your 430H is more than enough. Since the Zahl HM1 has been accepted as the reference point of power(2W)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back