HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 28, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #19,951 of 25,710
After owning the susvara for a few days now, I've started to notice that the soundstage isn't very deep. The left and right imaging goes about 5cm out of my head, but the depth is amost non existent, it's like a place that goes left right and up down.

How much depth are others getting?

Maybe I got spoiled the ZMF Atrium and Feliks Euforia combo.

The Atrium's 3D presentation is very unique.

But you should be getting a big sound stage of the Susvara, depth including. Not to open a whole can of worms, but both the DAC and Amp can impact that quite a bit. If you have more than one of either, try to experiement with your chain. And of course, endless ideas in this thread that stretch as far as budget or apptetite will take you..

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #19,952 of 25,710
After owning the susvara for a few days now, I've started to notice that the soundstage isn't very deep. The left and right imaging goes about 5cm out of my head, but the depth is amost non existent, it's like a place that goes left right and up down.

It might be that your brain is still adapting to how it presents music. Keep in mind depth shouldn't be huge (and for the matter width neither) as it's more important to be right and accurate in how it conveys the space.
The others are also right that it might be a chain thing as well. I think the Atrium has some uniqueness to its staging and spacial layout that is easier to take notice of quickly

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #19,953 of 25,710
If you’re a fan of wide soundstage it may be worth looking at the buchardt s400 mkii

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #19,955 of 25,710
Either, you are joking, or you must have superhuman mutant hearing, or your bliss is reporting db incorrectly, or you are not using a Susvara, or we overlook/miss something massive here...

-38db is utterly quiet to my ears. If -38db sounds good to you, -5 db would greatly damage your ears.

You are not running any pre-amp between the may and bliss?

I might.
I might not.
And if I do, does that make you this all-knowing, sage of wisdom? If I do choose to sell it, do I owe you an apology? I'm trying it out and will put it up against my current amplifier and I will choose the one that works best for me. That doesn't mean I won't be able to sell it as you have hinted at above.
If I decide to sell it that doesn't mean someone won't buy it.

you have a problem with your source

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #19,957 of 25,710
what do you mean by source? The electronics? The CD transport? Or the DAC?
My guess would be that if you are using Marantz CD94, that is painting a small soundstage in the first place. Then in case of Euforia, Euforia kind of "saves" the situation partly, but when you switch to something more normal, you get bad results.

For me personally it was a relevation when I compared Qutest and Dave at some point. I realized how massive effect a DAC has on soundstage. For a very long time I always tried to "fix" the soundstage with amps and headphones with large soundstage, but after this relevation I started reading about DACs and finally bought Holo May. After that even Focal Utopia has given me a very pleasant soundstage.

I'm not saying you should necessary buy May (Spring 3 gives great results I've heard btw), there are many alternatives in the market, probably also on the CD player side. However, what I would do if I was you, I would probably try out different DACs (or CD players if that's more your thing) and also try to visit some hifi shop that has some TOTL DAC in testing, like Dave for example (which is usually somewhat easy to find), just to give some reference points that might help you see where your bottlenecks are. I no longer see DACs as the last piece to upgrade, but quite the opposite: they are the corner stones on top of which it's good to build the system and if I were to build my setup again from scratch, I would buy Sundara, A90/SA-1 and as good DAC as I could afford (>2k$ territory). Everything used of course. Only then I would start headphone/amp hopping.

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #19,958 of 25,710
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #19,959 of 25,710
I have to share my latest experience changing power cable on my DAC. What power cables do you guys use?

I recently switched my isotek premier (that came with aquarius v5 ) to a Heimdall 2. Got a nice trade in deal on it. And it’s like I changed a component in my setup, it sounds much more transparent and makes soundstage bigger. The old cable sounds darker and smaller in comparison. Would like to know how moving further up the ladder in power cables would be. Never imagined it would impact the sound that much. The susvara makes it very apparent.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #19,960 of 25,710
My guess would be that if you are using Marantz CD94, that is painting a small soundstage in the first place. Then in case of Euforia, Euforia kind of "saves" the situation partly, but when you switch to something more normal, you get bad results.

For me personally it was a relevation when I compared Qutest and Dave at some point. I realized how massive effect a DAC has on soundstage. For a very long time I always tried to "fix" the soundstage with amps and headphones with large soundstage, but after this relevation I started reading about DACs and finally bought Holo May. After that even Focal Utopia has given me a very pleasant soundstage.

I'm not saying you should necessary buy May (Spring 3 gives great results I've heard btw), there are many alternatives in the market, probably also on the CD player side. However, what I would do if I was you, I would probably try out different DACs (or CD players if that's more your thing) and also try to visit some hifi shop that has some TOTL DAC in testing, like Dave for example (which is usually somewhat easy to find), just to give some reference points that might help you see where your bottlenecks are. I no longer see DACs as the last piece to upgrade, but quite the opposite: they are the corner stones on top of which it's good to build the system and if I were to build my setup again from scratch, I would buy Sundara, A90/SA-1 and as good DAC as I could afford (>2k$ territory). Everything used of course. Only then I would start headphone/amp hopping.

Interesting! I’ve owned a qutest and yggy in the past but I just felt the improvement was so marginal I decided to weight the cost of my system towards headphones and amps (at the time when I was using the euforia and OG Utopia). Having said that, since selling my qutest 6 months ago I’ve slowly realised that I’m missing the layering that my system used to have. But even then, spending good money on something that takes me months to notice seems like a pretty poor deal.

maybe with the susvara and accuphase I’ll notice DACs more, I’ll certainly keep my mind open and try some.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #19,961 of 25,710

I agree! Start upstream 😉

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #19,962 of 25,710
I have to share my latest experience changing power cable on my DAC. What power cables do you guys use?

I recently switched my isotek premier (that came with aquarius v5 ) to a Heimdall 2. Got a nice trade in deal on it. And it’s like I changed a component in my setup, it sounds much more transparent and makes soundstage bigger. The old cable sounds darker and smaller in comparison. Would like to know how moving further up the ladder in power cables would be. Never imagined it would impact the sound that much. The susvara makes it very apparent.
A couple of furutech cables. An ifi supanova is on the way. And 3-4 generic ones.

All of them sound make the susvara sound vastly different affecting dynamics, transparency, soundstage, detail, imaging and overall engagement.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #19,963 of 25,710
spending good money on something that takes me months to notice seems like a pretty poor deal
The difference between Qutest and Dave should be in your face with Susvara, or then something else is wrong (like that on digital side your sound goes through Windows, not bit perfect etc).

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #19,964 of 25,710

I get fantastic depth and a large sound stage with my Susvaras if the music production has been recorded with these attributes.

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #19,965 of 25,710
The Atrium's 3D presentation is very unique.

But you should be getting a big sound stage of the Susvara, depth including. Not to open a whole can of worms, but both the DAC and Amp can impact that quite a bit. If you have more than one of either, try to experiement with your chain. And of course, endless ideas in this thread that stretch as far as budget or apptetite will take you..
I get a much bigger sound stage and depth with my analogue set-up compared to my digital set-up although my digital set-up is no slouch in these departments either !

The pre-amp and amp to the Susvara also has a big impact on the sound stage and depth (as long as the music production already has these attributes) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back