HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 27, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #19,921 of 25,990
Lunar New Year. Non-Chinese also celebrate the holiday.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #19,923 of 25,990
https://www.highlite.com/nl/d7162-daily-case-7.html

Its just around perfect with the fit.

EDIT: THIS IS JUST A TEMPORARY SOLUTION(not Susvara worthy). I am going to build a stand(or buy one), hang it buy the metal ofcourse, then build a cover(odorles wood) I can remove everytime I use.

NOTE: this plastic had also an odor, but was ok after a month. It does not smell because it is not in warm temp.
NOTE2: I washed the included foam, let it sit in water for 1 day so it took of the smell. This foam is really cool, I shaped it to the bottom of the headphone, and the fabric is from the Arya case.
Nice, better than what I'm using right now, a cooler with towels lol. I put Sussy in her crib at night, & tuck her in 😆

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #19,924 of 25,990
Jan 27, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #19,925 of 25,990
My dream is to do this being wireless while they're powered correctly.
Its a "wireless" experience for me. There is no gravity...Im not doing yoga or anything. I don´t listen to my system everyday. I always appreciate it by listening to my crappy/sandy speakers in the car, or the decent lowend boosting headset at work...I never settle my ears for my main rig. Never. This is intentional.

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #19,926 of 25,990
Yeah for now I'll upgrade the amp with the benchmark AHB2, running off the rme adi-2. Save some of the money for a zmf caldera, then later on upgrade the dac. Gotta buy banana plugs to xlr, any recommendations or Amazon adapter fine?
Fwiw and from my own experience (which only includes a 30 min demo of the caldera) the caldera is a great sounding headphone. Its sound confirms that Zach is a big fan of the susvaras.

imho it is a very worthy option for those that like the susvaras but don’t want to start mucking around looking for amps that will drive the susvara well, or whose budget is limited in that regard

though there are some differences the calder and susvaras are quite similar. They are like cousins.

for me, the susvaras are better whej driven well but……the old amp story.

it could be argued if one already had the susvaras and they wanted a different sounding headphone to add to their stable that the caldera would be a bit too similar. But if one wanted something similar sounding but with a slightly different presentation in how it presents the music then the caldera is an option.

most people that like the susvara will like the caldera

for me, at these price points i would want two headphones that are less similar but where i enjoy both

so what i would do is either strongly look at caldera (which is a great option) if i did not want to go down the path of looking at a very good matching amplifier for the susvara, or go down the path of the susvaras and make amplification my priority, and leave a secondary headphone for later

i guess, imho, if i had the susvaras (which i do) then getting more out if them, within reason, would be high on my priority list and buying the calderas would be lower and if/when one drives the susvaras well then the expenditure in the calderas may not be justified

but that’s my personal views from my own personal experiences.

edit: i guess what i am saying is if you buy the susvaras i would say that the calderas can wait

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #19,927 of 25,990
enleum was good in bass but it was not great in mids and felt as if it made the sus more V shaped, and its a bit lean in signature

violectric was not that great in terms of resolution
Niimbus?

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #19,928 of 25,990
If Enleum doesn't tickle your fancy with the Susvara then what the hell will?
Seriously, maybe Susvara is not for you.

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #19,929 of 25,990
Lunar New Year. Non-Chinese also celebrate the holiday.
But for hifiman products:

FDE7486A-9F1A-4E8A-A043-3DCA7766EDFD.png

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #19,930 of 25,990
If Enleum doesn't tickle your fancy with the Susvara then what the hell will?
Seriously, maybe Susvara is not for you.
A
G
D

W
I
L
L

____

To anybody that just bought Susvara because of the "hype" and regret it.

Susvara needs a chance. If you are going to sell it for 1-2 class under its value anyway! Keep it! Commit! Be Sure! ...

....a good rule of thumb on every headphone. If turning up the volume gets addictive, like the music is expanding and getting wider more fuller instead of "loud" - you are on the right track to satisfaction.

There are more levels than one or two, to Susvara. Take it to the 3rd degree:

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #19,931 of 25,990
Fwiw and from my own experience (which only includes a 30 min demo of the caldera) the caldera is a great sounding headphone. Its sound confirms that Zach is a big fan of the susvaras.

imho it is a very worthy option for those that like the susvaras but don’t want to start mucking around looking for amps that will drive the susvara well, or whose budget is limited in that regard

though there are some differences the calder and susvaras are quite similar. They are like cousins.

it could be argued if one already had the susvaras and they wanted a different sounding headphone to add to their stable that the caldera would be a bit too similar. But if one wanted something similar sounding but with a slightly different presentation in how it presents the music then the caldera is an option.

for me, at these price points i would want two headphones that are less similar but where i enjoy both

so what i would do is either strongly look at caldera (which is a great option) if i did not want to go down the path of looking at a very good matching amplifier for the susvara, or go down the path of the susvaras and make amplification my priority, and leave a secondary headphone for later

i guess, imho, if i had the susvaras (which i do) then getting more out if them, within reason, would be high on my priority list and buying the calderas would be lower and if/when one drives the susvaras well then the expenditure in the calderas may not be justified

edit: i guess what i am saying is if you buy the susvaras i would say that the calderas can wait
He has had his Susvara for over 2 years now, he has been running them from the ADI-2 and Euphoria, he is ready to AMP up as your post talks about.

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #19,932 of 25,990
for those of us that have read a fair chunk of this thread, this is not an unfamiliar story:

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #19,933 of 25,990
I don't know why you see the relationship between Susvara and amplification as a negative. I see it the opposite. The Sus is the most rewarding headphones I owned. I've used it now with 7 amps, it always sounded good and just keeps on scaling and giving me more with each upgrade.

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #19,934 of 25,990

I like big fancy woods on my head.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #19,935 of 25,990
for those of us that have read a fair chunk of this thread, this is not an unfamiliar story:

good review and to my ears mostly correct...the 13r is a great amp with power hungry planars and its form factor is simply wonderful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back