HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #20,011 of 25,710
Sound demo1 (from 08:25)

http://b23.tv/zyNe5el

Sound demo 2:

http://b23.tv/gE6hGdW

Sound demo 3: with DSDAC1.0 ( from 08:10)

http://b23.tv/j2bqhio

It is a speaker amp structure modified into a headphone amp. It was designed for power hungry headphones in mind. It has been released for a few years. It is a good entry-mid fi solid state headphone amp particularly shine for warming sounding cans. This company is more famous for making DACs though, whose flagship DSDAC1.0 is the first Chifi DAC upsampling all files to DSD 1024 before digital to analogue conversion. Also it has a technology called master clock division that will disable all master clocks in the source chain before arriving at its DSDAC1.0 to shorten the signal path.

For the amp:
“It has enough power for all cans with punchy and elastic bass on top of smooth yet amazing high extensions”

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #20,012 of 25,710
Since we’re on the subject of amps for Susvara, I just found out there’s this amp called Cen.Grand 9i-906 Silver Fox which according to its website is a high power & high current amp. It is said to output 20W @ 30ohm. List price is around $6k. Has anyone had any experience with this amp? It seems they also have this high end DAC that upsamples everything to DSD1024, apparently similar to EMM Labs and Meitner DACs.
I'll be getting this amp soon, but I no longer own the Susvara's. I might look at repurchasing them once I get the amp. A friend of mine is getting the DAC very soon to pair with his CFA3. I'll let you know his thoughts on it. I'm more interested in the amp at this point. I more than happy with my Dave.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #20,013 of 25,710
I'll be getting this amp soon, but I no longer own the Susvara's. I might look at repurchasing them once I get the amp. A friend of mine is getting the DAC very soon to pair with his CFA3. I'll let you know his thoughts on it. I'm more interested in the amp at this point. I more than happy with my Dave.
Look forward to both your and your friend’s impressions! (but perhaps in a more relevant thread)

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #20,014 of 25,710
Feb 1, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #20,015 of 25,710
Soundstage talk:

Pads may have effect on the sound, but most importantly, if the music does not have "right" amount of reverbs, and good levels in general, every headphone will struggle to deliver you a satisfying soundstage. Sometime Susvara feels like surround sound with endless soundstage, other times like an on-ear experience, straight in my head. This is all the production of the music, not the headphone.

Take this into consideration when judging headphones on soundstage.

About the pads, try this experiment, take the Susvara earcups a little outside of you head and tilt it. Notice the bass enhance, like sitting in front of speakers.

An ear cup with the perfect "bleed" and tilt that interesting.... or else I just like the stock pads. My ears are not touching the grill anymore.

___

Best position for me is to let Susvara hang low as possible, so it gets a V shape(tilted) shape on my head. Almost resting(still touching) on my ears but still snug fit.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #20,016 of 25,710
A day of anticipation. Susvara is a hungry bitch. And wants only the best inputs.

I have a Woo WA22 Gen. 1, which does not have pre-amp outputs. A new WA22 Gen. 2 with preamp outs arrives today. Going to feed thru AHB2. Mike Liang at Woo is mad at me because he wanted me to upgrade to the WA5-LE to drive Sus.

Tubey goodness of Woo going thru transparent SS AHB2. I let you know how it works out.

Loving Sus, but have spent as much on new equipment as I did on the headphones. Like marrying a beautiful woman. Just the start of big spending. :)

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #20,017 of 25,710
A day of anticipation. Susvara is a hungry bitch. And wants only the best inputs.

I have a Woo WA22 Gen. 1, which does not have pre-amp outputs. A new WA22 Gen. 2 with preamp outs arrives today. Going to feed thru AHB2. Mike Liang at Woo is mad at me because he wanted me to upgrade to the WA5-LE to drive Sus.

Tubey goodness of Woo going thru transparent SS AHB2. I let you know how it works out.

Loving Sus, but have spent as much on new equipment as I did on the headphones. Like marrying a beautiful woman. Just the start of big spending. :)
I think I prefer this setup to the WA33 Elite with Susvara. At least my notes say I did when I had same setup.

Also with upgraded tubes I felt the WA22 2nd gen drove the Susvara well enough. I actually had the most appreciation for the WA22 and Ferrum Stack over even the AHB2 but it’s all awesome. Looking forward to hearing your take!

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #20,019 of 25,710
I think I prefer this setup to the WA33 Elite with Susvara. At least my notes say I did when I had same setup.

Also with upgraded tubes I felt the WA22 2nd gen drove the Susvara well enough. I actually had the most appreciation for the WA22 and Ferrum Stack over even the AHB2 but it’s all awesome. Looking forward to hearing your take!
MIke at Woo gave me a friendly challenge re my opinion of Sus driven directly by WA 22 Gen 2 vs thru AHB2. I was not familiar with Ferrum, but that equipment looks awesome.

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #20,021 of 25,710
New pads arrived! Holllllyyy crap now we're talking!! The level of realism, detail, seperation, space just took a step jump up! Now the susvara sound better than I've ever heard in auditions :):L3000:

I even thought the soundstage was bigger than the atriums.... until I switched over, but still a close 2nd place :D

I just can't believe how real these recordings sound, and there's so much crispness to drums as well, reminds me of the Utopias.

Edit: for reference, I switched from the dekoni non-fenestrated sheepskin to dekoni fenestrated sheepskin.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #20,023 of 25,710
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #20,024 of 25,710
I must have a different relationship with my susvara.

Mine is cherished.
(I won’t go as fair as to say worshipped)
Since we wax lyrical— to me it is a door into a new country, a new sonic planet. My entire universe of listening to music has shifted in its orbit. Even how I listen to other HPs, eg ‘how does Arya respond to differences in my chain’ — Sus stimulates me to explore new pairings in which it it is not even directly playing a part.

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #20,025 of 25,710
I must have a different relationship with my susvara.

Mine is cherished.
(I won’t go as fair as to say worshipped)
I was quoted out of context a bit. No criticism of Susvara intended. Feed her, love her... and she loves you back. Magical HPs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back