HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 28, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #18,526 of 25,592
I meant that if you don't want to audition speakers amp you don't have to.
Ah ok...sorry I thought you meant the ones I was gonna audition :sweat_smile:

Oct 28, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #18,528 of 25,592
Both the ifi and the Ferrum are great with the Sus. I had both and enjoyed them each for what they're good at. Definitely good value for the money (US used pricing at least).
I didn't find the Oor/Hypsos stack capable of driving the Susvara comfortably on their own. They did when I disabled the volume control and added a tube preamp.

Oct 28, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #18,529 of 25,592
I didn't find the Oor/Hypsos stack capable of driving the Susvara comfortably on their own. They did when I disabled the volume control and added a tube preamp.
That's fair. I had it both with the WA22 as preamp and on its own and I think it was good both ways. It's far from the best amplification for the Susvara but in those price ranges I think it's one of the better options even without a pre

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #18,530 of 25,592
Can you tell me what should I expect in all aspects of sound quality if I jump from the hekv2 to susvara? The amps I have in mind initially are: singxer sa-1, topping a90 discrete, burson performance 3xp, denafrips artemis. The genres I'm mostly interested in are vocal (female), classical (symphonic), instrumental/new age.

I know questions like this had been asked before, maybe several times. I just have a hard time to search them in this 1000+ page forum. I'd appreciate your experience and/or opinion, or you can point me to the right pages instead. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #18,531 of 25,592
Can you tell me what should I expect in all aspects of sound quality if I jump from the hekv2 to susvara? The amps I have in mind initially are: singxer sa-1, topping a90 discrete, burson performance 3xp, denafrips artemis. The genres I'm mostly interested in are vocal (female), classical (symphonic), instrumental/new age.

I know questions like this had been asked before, maybe several times. I just have a hard time to search them in this 1000+ page forum. I'd appreciate your experience and/or opinion, or you can point me to the right pages instead. Thanks!
A nice jump in all aspects of sound quality (greater staging, details, imaging, instrument separation, fuller & more natural sound) from HE1000v2. Those genres are literally what Susvaras are made for/naturally excels at... any other genres you'd need to get higher end amps to take full advantage of Susvara.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #18,532 of 25,592

Demo with your amp, or amps you are considering, before you make the decision to buy!!!

and then you’ll know if you also need to look at other amps.

otherwise you may feel the expenditure is not worth it or you’ll keep wondering/asking about amps and end up frustrated regretting going this way - like is often read here.

but if you find an amp that matches well when you demo it you may have found something magic and (pretty much, arguably, close to if not) end game

ymmv

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #18,533 of 25,592
I suspect the key variable is DAC output voltage. I'm definitely open to anything that sounds even better, but with a 7v DAC output the Ferrum stack + Susvara is about as good as I've heard from a planar and it really doesn't seem to struggle.

Adding a preamp probably bumps up the gain into the Oor.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #18,534 of 25,592
Demo with your amp, or amps you are considering, before you make the decision to buy!!!

and then you’ll know if you also need to look at other amps.

otherwise you may feel the expenditure is not worth it or you’ll keep wondering/asking about amps and end up frustrated regretting going this way - like is often read here.

but if you find an amp that matches well when you demo it you may have found something magic and (pretty much, arguably, close to if not) end game

ymmv
This is the best advice you can give anyone aspiring to own the Susvara’s. It’s one of the most amp dependent headphones on the planet.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #18,535 of 25,592
This is the best advice you can give anyone aspiring to own the Susvara’s. It’s one of the most amp dependent headphones on the planet.
As an example: Before I went with the susvaras i saw some members saying that the a90 could drive them ok. But there was quite a few that said it was only ok but not honouring the susvaras. And then there were the more experienced susvaras owners that advised against the a90.

if i was to upgrade to the susvaras and i would want more than just ok when paying this price.

and there are great options that sit just below the susvaras imho - eg utopia OG, hekse/v2 and now even elite (from what i have read about the meze)

it’s all in this thread from members sharing their own experiences about their successes and disappointments (and outlays). :)

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #18,536 of 25,592
The amps I have in mind initially are: singxer sa-1, topping a90 discrete, burson performance 3xp, denafrips artemis.

Considering your amps you have to try the Sus first before committing to it and in case you don't then be prepared to upgrade them to a considerably more capable and fitting amp. The Susvara needs much more than those can offer it or you're simply wasting money in this upgrade.

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #18,537 of 25,592

The Susvara is a TOTL and a very expensive Headphone. It will scale up to anything you deliver to it.

Without being disillusioned, you need a top chain of hifi components from actual source material to the source to pre-amp to amp in order to get your money's worth from it and not feel disappointed.

To give you an example, I have over the last 4+ months upgraded my analogue source to TOTL components (see my signature) and the Susvara scaled up on every move I made. Same for my digital source (which is now way behind in musical pleasure than my analogue source and my digital source is no slouch).

Feeding the Susvara with mis matched components (especially amps that can't provide the required high quality current) that can't deliver what the Susvara needs and deserves, I would suggest you first get your other hifi components up to par. Then get the Susvaras.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #18,538 of 25,592

I have experience with those 3 amps you mentioned and unfortunately they are lack lustre with Susvara.

What floats my boat are Ultrasonic Studio amps with Susvara. https://ultrasonicstudios.org/odyssey/

:relaxed:

IMG_4881.jpg

So impressed I'm with the synergy, I'm ordering and waiting for a 300b version called Telemachus.

DSC_0235-scaled-1024x820.jpg

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #18,539 of 25,592
The Susvara is a TOTL and a very expensive Headphone. It will scale up to anything you deliver to it.

Without being disillusioned, you need a top chain of hifi components from actual source material to the source to pre-amp to amp in order to get your money's worth from it and not feel disappointed.

To give you an example, I have over the last 4+ months upgraded my analogue source to TOTL components (see my signature) and the Susvara scaled up on every move I made. Same for my digital source (which is now way behind in musical pleasure than my analogue source and my digital source is no slouch).

Feeding the Susvara with mis matched components (especially amps that can't provide the required high quality current) that can't deliver what the Susvara needs and deserves, I would suggest you first get your other hifi components up to par. Then get the Susvaras.
100% agree. The Susvara has scaled up better than any of my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back