HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 1, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #18,557 of 25,710
Headphones in general are more sensitive to noise input from components than speakers. Therefore, for a good to excellent headphone rig, the hifi chain of components should be top notch to reduce such unwanted noise being added to the music signal and reaching the headphones.
My speaker has the sensitivity of 86 dB which is rather insensitive yet it requires less power than Driving SUS. Another observation is I heard slight hiss from my speaker drivers when putting my ears next to it while I didn’t notice hiss from SUS driving from speaker out.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #18,558 of 25,710
Nov 1, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #18,559 of 25,710
My speaker has the sensitivity of 86 dB which is rather insensitive yet it requires less power than Driving SUS. Another observation is I heard slight hiss from my speaker drivers when putting my ears next to it while I didn’t notice hiss from SUS driving from speaker out.
Yes, my EF1000 needs to have the volume knob turned around a few clicks more when powering my Susvaras than when powering my Focal Electra 1008 Be speakers.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #18,560 of 25,710
Another observation is I heard slight hiss from my speaker drivers when putting my ears next to it while I didn’t notice hiss from SUS driving from speaker out.

Speaker efficiency and impedance aside, this is related to stereo setups as well. Amps and preamps also contribute to that hiss.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 1, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #18,561 of 25,710
Any Susvara owners use formula S/powerman to power theirs?

My question is being asked because I own the TC and use the formula S/powerman and am considering a Susvara, but do not want to buy additional amp just for it.

In formula S thread, most tend to think Bakoon is better to drive susvara.

Advice appreciated.

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #18,562 of 25,710

My question is being asked because I own the TC and use the formula S/powerman and am considering a Susvara, but do not want to buy additional amp just for it.

Advice appreciated.
the formula s combo does a reasonable job but you are correct the 13r is better with susvara and formula s is better with 1266

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #18,563 of 25,710
the formula s combo does a reasonable job but you are correct the 13r is better with susvara and formula s is better with 1266
Thanks for letting know, can you explain why?

Can Bakoon drive TC well?

Appreciate this response.

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #18,564 of 25,710
With your Holo DAC and the Bakoon or Enleum the Susvara might be a little over smooth, at least it was for me.
Same chain with the TC will be very balanced and get the 1266 a bit closer to a more widely accepted tuning (it'll help bring the mids a bit more forward). Not sure if that's what you're looking for considering you're probably happy with the Formula and as far as I know it's rather neutral with the TC (I never heard it).

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #18,565 of 25,710
Thanks for letting know, can you explain why?

Can Bakoon drive TC well?

Appreciate this response.
the 13r drives the 1266 very well...it is a fine choice but I just think the synergy between the formula combo and the 1266 is better

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #18,566 of 25,710
the 13r drives the 1266 very well...it is a fine choice but I just think the synergy between the formula combo and the 1266 is better
Agree with this. Formula s/p synergy is better for 1266 than 23R ( I haven't heard 13R)

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #18,567 of 25,710
With your Holo DAC and the Bakoon or Enleum the Susvara might be a little over smooth, at least it was for me.
Same chain with the TC will be very balanced and get the 1266 a bit closer to a more widely accepted tuning (it'll help bring the mids a bit more forward). Not sure if that's what you're looking for considering you're probably happy with the Formula and as far as I know it's rather neutral with the TC (I never heard it).
I am actually very happy with my current chain + TC. I am just debating adding a Susvara but am unwilling to buy an additional amp JUST for Susvara, so weighing options. Thanks for the response.

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #18,568 of 25,710

Advice appreciated.
I used the formula S/P with susvara for many months and it's actually OK with less demanding genres like acoustic and jazz etc but won't cut it for music with big dynamics and bass. The amp Just doesn't have the power to properly drive susvara.

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #18,569 of 25,710
I used the formula S/P with susvara for many months and it's actually OK with less demanding genres like acoustic and jazz etc but won't cut it for music with big dynamics and bass. The amp Just doesn't have the power to properly drive susvara.
Ok this is all I needed to know, thanks much for this.

Basically I will unlikely get the Susvara at this point then, as I can not afford an additional amp purchase at this time. Just had a new born, and my business is doing so so at best.

Side note then... what is the IEM equivalent of Susvara, I am going to take my first guess and guess the tralli (aka the bird)

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #18,570 of 25,710
Ok this is all I needed to know, thanks much for this.

Basically I will unlikely get the Susvara at this point then, as I can not afford an additional amp purchase at this time. Just had a new born, and my business is doing so so at best.

Side note then... what is the IEM equivalent of Susvara, I am going to take my first guess and guess the tralli (aka the bird)
MAD 24's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back