HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #18,571 of 25,990
wow never heard of these, they do not seem to have much attention on them, how did you come across em?

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #18,572 of 25,990
the "bird" is an extraordinary IEM..I got one a while back used and absolutely love it for travel with my hugo 2

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #18,573 of 25,990
Ok this is all I needed to know, thanks much for this.

Basically I will unlikely get the Susvara at this point then, as I can not afford an additional amp purchase at this time. Just had a new born, and my business is doing so so at best.

Side note then... what is the IEM equivalent of Susvara, I am going to take my first guess and guess the tralli (aka the bird)
You are correct, Traillii. Jewel is also close in sound to Traillii. If you like a reference sound, a Monarch MK 2 might do it for you for allot less money. Definitely demo though. And as I am sure you know, fit is everything with IEMs or you will not use them.

I saw MAD24 mentioned. In direct comparison I was not a fan.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #18,575 of 25,990
For the premium sonic performance from Susvara, Pre + Power/ Mono amp configuration is the way to go. Susvara is better treated as a largely insensitive loudspeaker and as a matter of fact it is harder to drive than many well known insensitive loudspeakers as many folks claimed.

In order to drive properly such a hard to drive “speaker”, Pre + Power/ Mono will be the more suitable amp configuration. The challenges are more of finding the right synergies which could take years of experience and experiments to find a combination with right tonality, dynamics, coherency in the meanwhile without being overly driven causing excessive noise and hiss, Even flagship integrated speaker amps might not give Susvara the best control and authority compared to separate/ mono designs. Take Riviera’s flagship Levante integrated speaker amp for example, it might has the best Rivera sound, and it could drive Susvara amazingly without noise nor hiss via speaker output, but Levante still can’t compete with Riviera Power AFC amp with Woo Luna Pre in my opinion for various aspects.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #18,576 of 25,990
You are correct, Traillii. Jewel is also close in sound to Traillii. If you like a reference sound, a Monarch MK 2 might do it for you for allot less money. Definitely demo though. And as I am sure you know, fit is everything with IEMs or you will not use them.

I saw MAD24 mentioned. In direct comparison I was not a fan.
Interesting that you felt Jewel is close in sound to the bird, I felt bird was easier to listen to with holo lushness while the Jewel had more treble and more bass.

My impressions were only quick impressions though.

Demoing the stealth now at Bay Bloor Radio in canada, and am not a fan. Not enough bass!

Attachments

• 16674129678678795097245096079770.jpg
    16674129678678795097245096079770.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #18,577 of 25,990
Interesting that you felt Jewel is close in sound to the bird, I felt bird was easier to listen to with holo lushness while the Jewel had more treble and more bass.

My impressions were only quick impressions though.

Demoing the stealth now at Bay Bloor Radio in canada, and am not a fan. Not enough bass!
I preferred the Traillii, but I do feel both are close and of the same sound tuning. The Jewel has a DD, so is of course different, but the tuning is similar IMHO. The Jewel also comes with a terrible cable. I listened to it with the EA Chiron cable which improves its sound. The Traillii comes with an excellent cable and is easier to drive and sound terrific.

I was not a fan of the Stealth either. Tks.

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #18,578 of 25,990
This is a very specific question, but has anyone come across a mostly copper cable that has comparable technicalities with Susvara as the DHC Prion 4?

I feel like you need copper to get the midrange tone sounding right, but I haven't found any copper cable that can manage what my Prion 4 does.

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #18,579 of 25,990
This is a very specific question, but has anyone come across a mostly copper cable that has comparable technicalities with Susvara as the DHC Prion 4?

I feel like you need copper to get the midrange tone sounding right, but I haven't found any copper cable that can manage what my Prion 4 does.
Dana cable reference can!
When the power is good enough, the stock cable is actually the best in my opinion, nothing need to be added.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #18,580 of 25,990
I recently sold my 509x and borrowedHegel h95, to be honest I am disappointed, the sound is not dense enough, not full enough, flat and no 3D sense, this is the result of my comparison with my last Luxman l509x, of course, this kind of comparison across price points is not fair.
my systems:
SACD player esoteric k01xd
Amplifier hegel h95(borrowed)
Power cable Shunyata sigma nr v2 for CD player Shunyata sigma xc v2 for amplifier
Interconnect cable Nordost valhalla2
what amplifiers I have tried(time series) are Audiovalve solaris, Pass int30a, Accuphase e380, Mark 585 and Luxman l509x. I don't want to offend anyone but Hegel h95 is pretty much the worst of the few,
Finding next amplifier...
FCCB510D4D71C4A4536ABED4CD0CD0CB.jpg

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #18,581 of 25,990
I recently sold my 509x and borrowedHegel h95, to be honest I am disappointed, the sound is not dense enough, not full enough, flat and no 3D sense, this is the result of my comparison with my last Luxman l509x, of course, this kind of comparison across price points is not fair.
my systems:
SACD player esoteric k01xd
Amplifier hegel h95(borrowed)
Power cable Shunyata sigma nr v2 for CD player Shunyata sigma xc v2 for amplifier
Interconnect cable Nordost valhalla2
what amplifiers I have tried(time series) are Audiovalve solaris, Pass int30a, Accuphase e380, Mark 585 and Luxman l509x. I don't want to offend anyone but Hegel h95 is pretty much the worst of the few,
Finding next amplifier...
Haha I owned many same components with you! Your source is badass and top ceiling, just need good system of very dynamic amps

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #18,584 of 25,990
For the premium sonic performance from Susvara, Pre + Power/ Mono amp configuration is the way to go. Susvara is better treated as a largely insensitive loudspeaker and as a matter of fact it is harder to drive than many well known insensitive loudspeakers as many folks claimed.

In order to drive properly such a hard to drive “speaker”, Pre + Power/ Mono will be the more suitable amp configuration. The challenges are more of finding the right synergies which could take years of experience and experiments to find a combination with right tonality, dynamics, coherency in the meanwhile without being overly driven causing excessive noise and hiss, Even flagship integrated speaker amps might not give Susvara the best control and authority compared to separate/ mono designs. Take Riviera’s flagship Levante integrated speaker amp for example, it might has the best Rivera sound, and it could drive Susvara amazingly without noise nor hiss via speaker output, but Levante still can’t compete with Riviera Power AFC amp with Woo Luna Pre in my opinion for various aspects.
Just buy the Hifiman EF1000 for the Susvara and you are done (no more searching, wondering, upgrade issues etc), with the bonus of successfully powering mid sensitive speakers too.

Nov 3, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #18,585 of 25,990

50% pure silver & 50% pure copper mix headphone cable is the way to go for the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back