HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 3, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #18,586 of 25,990
50% pure silver & 50% pure copper mix headphone cable is the way to go for the Susvara.
This hybrid trend does not make sense to me when we in this hobby care about numbers.

Why mix two different wires that has different impedance for each chanel(L and R). I also asked this question on another subforum here. I don´t get it. Wouldnt a hybrid cable make some sort of imbalance to the sound because these cables have different conductivity performance?

When that has been said I like the susvara stock cable, but I am aiming for pure copper

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #18,587 of 25,990
This hybrid trend does not make sense to me when we in this hobby care about numbers.

Why mix two different wires that has different impedance for each chanel(L and R). I also asked this question on another subforum here. I don´t get it. Wouldnt a hybrid cable make some sort of imbalance to the sound because these cables have different conductivity performance?

When that has been said I like the susvara stock cable, but I am aiming for pure copper
Oh, you don't subscribe to Fool's Gold Toxic Cables silver now with 1% gold which is nothing more than average silver purity.

Go with whatever your heart tells ya. Try niobium for a real singularity.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #18,588 of 25,990
Oh, you don't subscribe to Fool's Gold Toxic Cables silver now with 1% gold which is nothing more than average silver purity.

Go with whatever your heart tells ya. Try niobium for a real singularity.
What makes sense to the electrical engineer and what produces synergy in terms of listening aren't always the same. I've learned that pure silver lacks realistic midrange, and copper is slower and has less bass and treble extension. It does seem to help the tonal balance by having a bit of silver helping out a copper cable. I've heard it said that silver can lower the capacitance of a mostly copper wire, but I'm no expert.

Likewise, I've tried out some of the silver/gold cables and it was an interesting sound (distinct from pure silver) that some may prefer, though I know that a silver/gold alloy doesn't make much sense on paper. With consumer audio, as long as something performs within reasonable parameters, it's down to trial and error of what product sounds pleasing. If it works, it works.

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #18,589 of 25,990
the "bird" is an extraordinary IEM..I got one a while back used and absolutely love it for travel with my hugo 2

Just googled these IEMs and dang, these are expensive! But if they're Susvara disguised as IEMs...

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 3, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #18,590 of 25,990
With your Holo DAC and the Bakoon or Enleum the Susvara might be a little over smooth, at least it was for me.

I am actually very happy with my current chain + TC. I am just debating adding a Susvara but am unwilling to buy an additional amp JUST for Susvara, so weighing options. Thanks for the response.

I thought the Bakoon R13 with the Susvara was a pretty interesting listen for a while, but over the long term would also agree that overall it may be too smooth (with the Bartok, for me), and more to the point, somewhat lacking in dynamics and bass impact.

I also had the TC along with the R13 at that time and can barely even remember what my opinions on that pairing were. However, I've never been too taken by the TC with any solid state amp I've heard it on, FWIW.

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #18,591 of 25,990
I thought the Bakoon R13 with the Susvara was a pretty interesting listen for a while, but over the long term would also agree that overall it may be too smooth (with the Bartok, for me), and more to the point, somewhat lacking in dynamics and bass impact.

I also had the TC along with the R13 at that time and can barely even remember what my opinions on that pairing were. However, I've never been too taken by the TC with any solid state amp I've heard it on, FWIW.
Fwiw and imho …… my niimbus (yes i’m biased) has never been “too smooth“ for me. That seems to he a general concensus on the amp. And the susvaras have never been too bright up top with the niimbus as some others have said they have experienced with the susvaras and some other gear

i demoed the tc for over an hour with the niimbus and the tc was driven very well however that is the only time that i have heard the tc so nothing to compare it with.

(apologies for repeating some of these views from my post a couple of weeks ago but, hey, if the bakoon can keep getting repeated mentions then i can show a little love for my niimbus)

and of course ymmv

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #18,592 of 25,990
Just googled these IEMs and dang, these are expensive! But if they're Susvara disguised as IEMs...
they are so good they are the first IEM that allow me to travel and enjoy music on the go

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #18,593 of 25,990
To the rap lovers this sound from Tupac(RIP) is right on the sound of Susvara: But listen from a better source. Atleast CD or Tidal HiFi. This track really brings out the elegance of the Susvara.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #18,595 of 25,990
Made it through the entire thread. Great info and I appreciate the helpful input from the group. Officially a Susvara owner thanks to a fellow Head-fi member and this group.

Happy Listening....

IMG_5989.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #18,596 of 25,990
The Susvara is the one headphone I can't seem to get "complacent" with. When I feel like I'm used to the awesomeness of this headphone, I play a brand new track that blows me away once again. This is how music was always meant to be represented in a headphone (at least, in my opinion).

Nov 5, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #18,598 of 25,990
It's funny you say that because to my ears the Susvara is very much a speaker like presentation. Or maybe that's exactly the point.

Yup, precisely, that’s why I love them so much. They remind me of having my Neumann KH 120’s attached to my head except even more detailed. It’s a huge compliment - no other headphone I’ve heard can pull that off

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #18,599 of 25,990
the sr1a is the most speaker like presentation I have heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back