HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 23, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #11,881 of 25,550
I am not happy with the sound of my Susvara when driven by my Niimbus US4 headphone amplifier that is connected to the headphone with a Norne Silvergarde cable and the sound is too thin and bright.

I am thinking of purchasing a different headphone amplifier.

I found a thread on the Audio GD M9 amplifier, which is powerful enough to drive the HiFiMan HE6e headphone. However, there was no mention in that thread of any user using it with a Susvara headphone.

There are 3 versions of the Audio GD amplifier (M9, M19 and HE9) - does anybody have experience with those amplifiers driving the Susvara? I am also interested in any sound differences between the 3 versions.

Jeff.
my susvara and niimbus do not work well for me (so far) with my silver draug.

my norne volsund (copper) cable has been my best option thus far.

actually my nordost heimdall 2 (with adapters) works well too.

but not my silver cable.

I‘m hoping trevor from norne will contact me soon as i am looking/waiting to buy a drausk for my susvara

my advice: try another cable before you try another amp

my 2c

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #11,882 of 25,550
my susvara and niimbus do not work well for me (so far) with my silver draug.

my norne volsund (copper) cable has been my best option thus far.

actually my nordost heimdall 2 (with adapters) works well too.

but not my silver cable.

I‘m hoping trevor from norne will contact me soon as i am looking/waiting to buy a drausk for my susvara

my advice: try another cable before you try another amp

my 2c
I tried a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 cable (which is copper-based) and it helps make the sound less thin/bright, but I still do not like the final sound with the copper-based cable.

Jeff.

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #11,883 of 25,550
I am not happy with the sound of my Susvara when driven by my Niimbus US4 headphone amplifier that is connected to the headphone with a Norne Silvergarde cable and the sound is too thin and bright.

I found a thread on the Audio GD M9 amplifier, which is powerful enough to drive the HiFiMan HE6e headphone. However, there was no mention in that thread of any user using it with a Susvara headphone.

There are 3 versions of the Audio GD amplifier (M9, M19 and HE9) - does anybody have experience with those amplifiers driving the Susvara? I am also interested in any sound differences between the 3 versions.

Jeff.
Nothing satisfied me until I got a speaker amp for my Susvara - it doesn't have to be anything ultra expensive either - Susvara needs power, it cannot be underestimated ...

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #11,884 of 25,550
Oct 23, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #11,885 of 25,550
Beautiful cable man! Congrats!
I asked about a cable from them a while back and they're quite pricey! If I'm not wrong, they don't have a website? Or at least they didn't have one up and running yet when I last checked.
no website. just made to order cables through email :D

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #11,886 of 25,550

Jeff.
what dac are you using?

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #11,887 of 25,550
I tried a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 cable (which is copper-based) and it helps make the sound less thin/bright, but I still do not like the final sound with the copper-based cable.

Jeff.
Fair enough - I can’t argue with personal tastes then

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #11,889 of 25,550
I am looking for thoughts and opinons of how well the susvara pairs with tube amps. Nearly everyone i know that has a susvara says it pairs the best with a solid state amp. what does everyone think?

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #11,890 of 25,550
I am looking for thoughts and opinons of how well the susvara pairs with tube amps. Nearly everyone i know that has a susvara says it pairs the best with a solid state amp. what does everyone think?
There are a number of post talking about tube amps with the Susvaras on this thread. Particularly the Riviera AIC 10, Woo Audio WA-33 and Primavera. Plus a few more. I just received my Riviera today. But haven’t had time to set it up. Sundays is football, Go Patriots.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #11,891 of 25,550
My findings on Susvara:
1. Insensitive, but not a total bear to drive
2. Portable DAC / AMP like iFi iDSD Micro BL can admirably drive these
3. I much prefer 1/4 inch stock cable than XRL stock cable because it sounds a bit warmer
4. I don't think I will buy aftermarket headphone cables; the stock cable sounds perfect to me
5. Susvara has a very refined soft tone in nature but I won't pair it with bright sounding AMP /DAC
6. I owned Meze Empyrean, listened Utopia and DCA Stealth, and bought Susvara blind. I feel like I scored a jack pot here :)
7. MHA200 works well with Susvara and sounds heavenly to my ears...

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #11,892 of 25,550
My findings on Susvara:
1. Insensitive, but not a total bear to drive
2. Portable DAC / AMP like iFi iDSD Micro BL can admirably drive these
3. I much prefer 1/4 inch stock cable than XRL stock cable because it sounds a bit warmer
4. I don't think I will buy aftermarket headphone cables; the stock cable sounds perfect to me
5. Susvara has a very refined soft tone in nature but I won't pair it with bright sounding AMP /DAC
6. I owned Meze Empyrean, listened Utopia and DCA Stealth, and bought Susvara blind. I feel like I scored a jack pot here :)
7. MHA200 works well with Susvara and sounds heavenly to my ears...
YES, to #6!

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #11,893 of 25,550
The WA33 is pretty solid state sounding for a tube amp.

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #11,894 of 25,550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back