Aug 23, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #2,866 of 25,604
Unboxing photos!

5D1CE29C-5AFD-4775-AC21-1EC5735B16EB.jpeg

A7C5D6EC-0F1F-4A50-96BF-DE0BE5D2BE95.jpeg

5FCCDF3C-A0AD-49D7-B2DE-43B67A96170C.jpeg

68491FBA-2F51-4FEE-9A8F-D6BEE2C48D5F.jpeg

9B71244C-AED0-4783-8AB5-E14C3164910C.jpeg

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,867 of 25,604
Well the Abyss TC soundstage sounds big to me on my V281. So clearly the Susvara is a current hog, but we know that already.

I have heard the Susvara a few times now, and I still dig the Abyss TC more. It may be me coming from the 009 and having been starved of both soundstage and bass / dynamics. Maybe the Susvara to my ears is going back towards the 009 direction? Plus it can be the types of music you like as well, that comes into this. And also why I have a soft spot for the LCD4. I can't see me selling that HP either.

My feeling of owning the 009 and hearing the 009s, hearing my 009 with the BHSE and owning a Carbon amp (not heard the T2 DIY or T2) is it has not moved forwards since it's introduction. I had some great fun with both the 007s and 009s but feel planers are now beyond that level IMO. Is it not just the etherial electrostatic sound, but also the emphasised leading edges, micro details and plankton that grabbed attention. Added to this the lack of body in the mids, weak sub bass and impact, generally a synthetic presentation, these things in the end did it in for me. I didn't buy into the illusion of it, it was always a 'detailed headphone' never a violin or bass guitar.

The Abyss TC, LCD4 and Susvara individually surpass the realism I got from my Staxes with the Carbon amp. The BHSE was slightly more successful but had to use expensive NOS EL34s IMO to do that, and still wasn't there IMO.

The LCD4 is almost perfect in every way, the only negative to me is the mid treble dip, and that is possible to EQ most of it out.

The Susvara is a more even handed signature, but then it needs a lot of current / big amp IMO to really shine at it's best. It is also a bit close to the 009 treble again for me.

The Abyss TC, and after owning it for only 4 weeks has me sold on it. The early treble peaks in the OG are gone, the bass is still amazing but not as insane as the OG, and the mids are a bit warmer and even handed. Detail and the treble detail is first rate to my ears, enough to know exactly what is going on, but not going into 'stethoscope' mode. The soundstage is cavernous. It is lighter than the LCD4. The fit is bizarre, but you get it after a week or so. Once you get the fit right, heaven awaits. And as the cups 'float' over your ears I don't get too hot or uncomfortable.

It does so many things so well, it is my favourite headphone. Nearest to perfect to my ears.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,868 of 25,604
i concur on most everything the above gentleman said...

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #2,869 of 25,604
Well the Abyss TC soundstage sounds big to me on my V281. So clearly the Susvara is a current hog, but we know that already.

I have heard the Susvara a few times now, and I still dig the Abyss TC more. It may be me coming from the 009 and having been starved of both soundstage and bass / dynamics. Maybe the Susvara to my ears is going back towards the 009 direction? Plus it can be the types of music you like as well, that comes into this. And also why I have a soft spot for the LCD4. I can't see me selling that HP either.

My feeling of owning the 009 and hearing the 009s, hearing my 009 with the BHSE and owning a Carbon amp (not heard the T2 DIY or T2) is it has not moved forwards since it's introduction. I had some great fun with both the 007s and 009s but feel planers are now beyond that level IMO. Is it not just the etherial electrostatic sound, but also the emphasised leading edges, micro details and plankton that grabbed attention. Added to this the lack of body in the mids, weak sub bass and impact, generally a synthetic presentation, these things in the end did it in for me. I didn't buy into the illusion of it, it was always a 'detailed headphone' never a violin or bass guitar.

The Abyss TC, LCD4 and Susvara individually surpass the realism I got from my Staxes with the Carbon amp. The BHSE was slightly more successful but had to use expensive NOS EL34s IMO to do that, and still wasn't there IMO.

The LCD4 is almost perfect in every way, the only negative to me is the mid treble dip, and that is possible to EQ most of it out.

The Susvara is a more even handed signature, but then it needs a lot of current / big amp IMO to really shine at it's best. It is also a bit close to the 009 treble again for me.

The Abyss TC, and after owning it for only 4 weeks has me sold on it. The early treble peaks in the OG are gone, the bass is still amazing but not as insane as the OG, and the mids are a bit warmer and even handed. Detail and the treble detail is first rate to my ears, enough to know exactly what is going on, but not going into 'stethoscope' mode. The soundstage is cavernous. It is lighter than the LCD4. The fit is bizarre, but you get it after a week or so. Once you get the fit right, heaven awaits. And as the cups 'float' over your ears I don't get too hot or uncomfortable.

It does so many things so well, it is my favourite headphone. Nearest to perfect to my ears.
how does susvera (properly amp'd) compare to the LCD 4????

do you get similar meaty sound?

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2,870 of 25,604
totally different sound, the susvara is a lighter more ethereal experience...

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2,871 of 25,604
how does susvera (properly amp'd) compare to the LCD 4????

do you get similar meaty sound?

Yes and know IMO. The Susvara has a treble character closer to the 009, and the bas is good but not as solid and dynamic as the LCD4 to my ears. The mids on the LCD4 are really creamy as well, Susvara more neutral. So it is down to personal taste. I prefer the Abyss TC over the Susvara, and the LCD4 as a second phone.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #2,872 of 25,604
totally different sound, the susvara is a lighter more ethereal experience...

Exactly, 100% agree. But not as floaty as the 009, more body. But not enough body to sub bass for my ears, but that is me....

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #2,873 of 25,604
Been trying to get into the 1266, but haven’t got there yet, but the Susvara does it for me more so. Maybe it’s a fit thing?

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #2,874 of 25,604
The Susvara is a more even handed signature

We can easily agree with this. To us it's a great and even all-rounder with no obvious weak spots other than amp hunger (if one sees that as a dwonside of course).

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 24, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #2,876 of 25,604
Who has driven susvara with a Hugo tt2?

Powered via the xlr speaker outs do I get enough power? How does this compare to a stand-alone speaker amp ?

do I just buy a cable that terminates with dual xlr and plug them in to the speaker xlr outs on the tt2?

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,877 of 25,604

Powered via the xlr speaker outs do I get enough power? How does this compare to a stand-alone speaker amp ?

do I just buy a cable that terminates with dual xlr and plug them in to the speaker xlr outs on the tt2?

You should get a dual 3 pin female xlr to single 4 pin xlr. It will be more than sufficient to power the susvara imo.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,878 of 25,604

Susvara sounds amazing off TT2's 1/4 inch out as well as the dual 3 pin xlr. It has plenty of power to drive them to their potential either way. I don't think it takes an ungodly amount of power to reach Susvara's potential. However, they apparently continue to scale with more power, but that seems to be icing on the cake from my experience.

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #2,879 of 25,604
Anyone else here have their "HarmonyPads" fall apart on them? It's happened to me twice in six months.

The first time was with the original pads that came with the Susvara (at least I assume they were the original pads, as I got them used...). Both sides started tearing in multiple points -- almost simultaneously, interestingly enough -- all in the course of about a week.

After I paid for replacements, six months later, one side started tearing, and within a few days the leather was disconnected from the plastic ring around a greater-than-180 degree arc.

By "tearing" I mean simply that the leather-ish material was disconnecting from the plastic rings, as all that's holding them in place is a very narrow contact patch of glue around the circumference of the plastic ring. Either the glue is seriously defective, and/or it's just a bad decision (design flaw) to bond the leather material to plastic in this manner in the first place.

Anyway, just a PSA, if you notice this start happening to your pads, you can probably head it off by using some super-glue on the disconnected area and prevent it from tearing any further. I did this on my failing pad with success (though because so much of it had disconnected, and my arts-and-crafts skills are about a 0.5 out of 10, the leather is a little bunched up in a couple places and so it looks a little janky, but whatever for now, at least they're functional for the time being).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back