HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 19, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #2,776 of 25,603
My hardest decision of the day is whether to listen to the Susvara, the Stax 009S, or one of my speaker setups. Real world problems... :joy:

The difference between great, great, and great...

hey @QueueCumber : I've got a few friends--natives of the S. Pacific islands--who would like to share the burden of these real world problems with you, and maybe even swap a few, provided you're up for it, of course. The $1XXXXXX question is, are you game?:):):)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #2,777 of 25,603
hey @QueueCumber : I've got a few friends--natives of the S. Pacific islands--who would like to share the burden of these real world problems with you, and maybe even swap a few, provided you're up for it, of course. The $1XXXXXX question is, are game?:):):)
Yeah I know.....first world problems here!

Jul 19, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #2,778 of 25,603
hey @QueueCumber : I've got a few friends--natives of the S. Pacific islands--who would like to share the burden of these real world problems with you, and maybe even swap a few, provided you're up for it, of course. The $1XXXXXX question is, are game?:):):)

I guess sarcasm is easily lost in translation... :rolling_eyes:

Jul 19, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #2,779 of 25,603
I guess sarcasm is easily lost in translation... :rolling_eyes:

Well, not exactly "lost," just extended or "daisy-chained" for the fun of it...:), because I thought would like that, but I guess not....

By the way, and in all seriousness : Nice gear! Those choices between great, great, and great are really mouthwatering, if I am being honest...

And this last statement is 100% sarcasm-free!:)

Jul 19, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #2,780 of 25,603
Well, not exactly "lost," just extended or "daisy-chained" for the fun of it...:), because I thought would like that, but I guess not....

By the way, and in all seriousness : Nice gear! Those choices between great, great, and great are really mouthwatering, if I am being honest...

And this last statement is 100% sarcasm-free!:)

Thanks. Really happy with all my setups. Anytime I switch from one to the other, I keep thinking, “yeah, this is better.” But, I switch again and have the same thought ad infinitum. Don’t get me wrong, I do feel there are slight weaknesses in each setup, but less so than other speakers/headphones I’ve had or heard. It’s become variations on excellence.

My biggest gripe with headphones in general are with recordings that pan drums or piano to extreme right or left, as they tend to wrap around closer to the ear rather than sitting more out front. I don’t have that problem on speakers. Those recordings are few and far between though, and it’s often better to listen to those on stereo speakers.

Jul 19, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,781 of 25,603
Thanks. Really happy with all my setups. Anytime I switch from one to the other, I keep thinking, “yeah, this is better.” But, I switch again and have the same thought ad infinitum. Don’t get me wrong, I do feel there are slight weaknesses in each setup, but less so than other speakers/headphones I’ve had or heard. It’s become variations on excellence.(...).

Colour me impressed with your watch collection, followed your instagram link and that's some pretty impressive gear you've got there too!
What's your stereo setup?

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #2,782 of 25,603
Colour me impressed with your watch collection, followed your instagram link and that's some pretty impressive gear you've got there too!
What's your stereo setup?

Thanks!

I have two setups. One is Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3s set up optimally for stereo and suboptimally for surround (using 805 D3s and a HTM2 D3), driven by Apple TV for iTunes, an Oppo UDP-205 for hard media, SME 20/2 turntable with IV.Vi tonearm and Lyra Titan iv cartridge (to Sutherland PhD) to Marantz AV8802 to Anthem MCA525.

My other setup which I haven’t had time to hookup at the new place due to lack of room and basement work is Martin Logan Montis and PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP integrated (also with Oppo UDP-205). I have a few other things around as well that aren’t as seriously set up, like Focal Solo6 Be bookshelves (casual bedroom listening) and Kanto YU2s with Sub8 for my PC.

Listening to Joni Mitchell’s Blue on the 803 D3s right now. Her voice is a little close mic’ed for my tastes on some tracks, but the piano and guitar work is right in the room with me. My uncle and I were just playing guitar a little earlier and it’s like he didn’t leave and is playing at the other end of the room...

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #2,783 of 25,603
The E470's front jack is a separate circuitry and pretty much as terrible as you'd expect a throwaway headphone amp module to be.

I tested Accuphase E480's front headphone jack with my Gradolabs PS2000e / AKG K701, I have to say it's totally beyond my expectation, the sound image is wide open with decent depth, vocals and instruments are focused, natural, smooth and rich in detail as well. The overall quality makes me couldn't imagine it's just a speaker amp. I'm willing to pay for this front jack for $2000 :)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,785 of 25,603
Cerwin Vega DX-5 June 2019.jpg
Kinda missed that one, any love in specific for the vintage ones in your own stable?

Have 9 systems in total - Pioneer is my first choice - have 6 different systems with Pioneer amps, one Kenwood, one Fisher, one Marantz, one Realistic, one Sansui, one Hitachi - all are in use either in my house, work and home office or at my daughter's houses. Plus two Yamaha systems used for TV audio systems - one with the Yamaha as the preamp with the Sansui as the amp.

With all of them have had no issues with needing expensive work to make them work - maybe I've been lucky but many of the amp were bought from a local vintage repair/reseller who has done all the work on them that was needed. Here's the pinnacle of my collection that I use for driving the HE-6SE from the speaker taps - hard to believe but the entire system was purchase for $280 a few years ago - guy had really no idea what he had as this would sell for over $2000 in a heartbeat.

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2,786 of 25,603

Have 9 systems in total - Pioneer is my first choice - have 6 different systems with Pioneer amps, one Kenwood, one Fisher, one Marantz, one Realistic, one Sansui, one Hitachi - all are in use either in my house, work and home office or at my daughter's houses. Plus two Yamaha systems used for TV audio systems - one with the Yamaha as the preamp with the Sansui as the amp.

With all of them have had no issues with needing expensive work to make them work - maybe I've been lucky but many of the amp were bought from a local vintage repair/reseller who has done all the work on them that was needed. Here's the pinnacle of my collection that I use for driving the HE-6SE from the speaker taps - hard to believe but the entire system was purchase for $280 a few years ago - guy had really no idea what he had as this would sell for over $2000 in a heartbeat.
Lol, I can't take you seriously with those bozums in your profile pic hahaha.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #2,787 of 25,603
I'm surprised Fang hasn't released any successor to Susvara. Maybe he believes this is it for planar headphone technology.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #2,788 of 25,603
I actually asked him the question at canjam and was told basically that there is nothing better currently available

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,789 of 25,603
I'm surprised Fang hasn't released any successor to Susvara. Maybe he believes this is it for planar headphone technology.

I don't think he is as concerned with Summit Fi as he is with the less expensive products and I also saw a video where Hifiman mentioned their goal is to somehow make all of their cans portable (easier to drive, Bluetooth). This is why I believe the next incarnation of the Susvara will be easy or at the very least easier to drive. Heck the Susvara is getting long in the tooth for a Hifiman product without a change (Still uses the old 2.5mm connectors!). I just think that he has not yet developed the tech to keep or improve that excellent sound and make it easier to drive. But then again as I mentioned, he may not really care to do so right now either.

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2,790 of 25,603
"Edit: wrong thread" but I look forward to listening to the Susvara again at CanJam this weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20190725_203334.jpg
    IMG_20190725_203334.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back