HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #467 of 25,604
Guys can we try and keep the thread on track... otherwise it'll get locked.
As per Oscar-HiFi, stop the headphone vs speakers as that's off topic. I'm not going to go through the past posts to delete or moderate but anymore off topic posts from here onwards will be deleted.

Further, with the "ridiculous pricing" topic, it's getting old. Move on, this isn't specific to Hifiman and applicable to other brands - AK, Sony, Focal, Ultrasone, etc. Expect those to conversations to be moderated too.

I'd personally want to read more about the Susvara and how it sounds, synergy with whatever amps, any sonic or construction faults or peculiarities, etc. comparison to other headphones from sonic perspective, construction materials, etc. and I'm sure other subscribers would like to read more about those kinds of topic too.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #468 of 25,604
I'm genuinely curious if the Susvara would pair well with Schiit's Vidar. If that amp posseses good enough refinement, that could make for a very cost effective setup, along with the Saga of course (or just buy the Ragnarok?). Even a monoblock pair with the Freya would be so much cheaper than an EF1000. Or would there be too much hiss?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #469 of 25,604
Not sure if it has been reported before but I found that the Susvara paired very well with the WA33 amp in "high" mode. Meaning high impedance and high gain. This headphone needs plenty of power to perform well.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #470 of 25,604
In researching what amps are suitable for the Susvara, seeing that they're not so easily available I've been leveraging on what amps are suitable for the HE-6 as a guideline. It seems the two have similar drive requirements (maybe the Susvara a little more than the HE-6).

I like @Turdski's post as I hadn't considered looking at the Schitt offerings before and they sure seem more wallet friendly than the likes GSX Mk2, AMB β22, WA33, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #471 of 25,604
I am running the Susvara's with Custom Woo 234's running a TSRP 6SN7 driver + Elrog 300B and Takatsuki 274B and they sound very good. I prefer listening to them over any other headphone with the exception of the Stax 009. The Stax does not have the same bass extension or weight but is totally pure through the mid range and upper frequencies. On this coming Monday the Abyss Phi arrives, they will not be as comfortable however it will be an interesting comparison. I have found that they suck power like no other Headphone and when they don't have enough power they start to break up and distort. I am looking forward to some measurements on Inner Fidelity.

Things I wish they had done differently: Its time for HIFIMan to ditch the 2.5mm Jack connector, with non standard cables, mine are DHC Prion 4S which are on the heavy side the connector can come out. I wish they had a Lemo connector like the Focal Utopia's. In fact it would be great to see the manufacturers agree on a standard connector.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #472 of 25,604
I am running the Susvara's with Custom Woo 234's running a TSRP 6SN7 driver + Elrog 300B and Takatsuki 274B and they sound very good. I prefer listening to them over any other headphone with the exception of the Stax 009. The Stax does not have the same bass extension or weight but is totally pure through the mid range and upper frequencies. On this coming Monday the Abyss Phi arrives, they will not be as comfortable however it will be an interesting comparison. I have found that they suck power like no other Headphone and when they don't have enough power they start to break up and distort. I am looking forward to some measurements on Inner Fidelity.

Things I wish they had done differently: Its time for HIFIMan to ditch the 2.5mm Jack connector, with non standard cables, mine are DHC Prion 4S which are on the heavy side the connector can come out. I wish they had a Lemo connector like the Focal Utopia's. In fact it would be great to see the manufacturers agree on a standard connector.
What amp are you running with Stax ?

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #473 of 25,604
Aug 18, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #474 of 25,604

Looking forward for your comparison between Susvara and Abyss Phi

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #475 of 25,604
Me too! I have kept my original Abyss so I can do a proper comparison and also blind test some friends

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #476 of 25,604

Great impressions, that's why i am more interested in 009 than Susvara, pretty much every high end headphone does well in bass but very few do well in treble and mid range(not to mention the other technical advantages SR 009 has by being an electrostatic headphone).

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #477 of 25,604
Great impressions, that's why i am more interested in 009 than Susvara, pretty much every high end headphone does well in bass but very few do well in treble and mid range(not to mention the other technical advantages SR 009 has by being an electrostatic headphone).
He didn't run 009 to it fullest yet, don't know about those msb though

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #480 of 25,604
I'd personally want to read more about the Susvara and how it sounds, synergy with whatever amps, any sonic or construction faults or peculiarities, etc. comparison to other headphones from sonic perspective, construction materials, etc. and I'm sure other subscribers would like to read more about those kinds of topic too.

I'm not sure @AnakChan, I might have posted this and hopefully I didn't break any rules by showing links to different audio portals, but here it goes:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/hifiman3/1.html
http://hifiknights.com/reviews/headphones/hifiman-susvara/
http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/808-hifiman-susvara-headphones

Reads worth to take a look at as, each of three writers used at least two different amps to drive their loaners. That's quite informational.

Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back