HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #14,761 of 25,918
It's not fear mongering about blowing the driver per say, it's about using an amp without an output cap. An older amp w/o an output cap can develop a large DC offset. If your planar headphone is constantly plugged into it, it can severely shorten the lifespan of the driver. So anyone who uses a speaker amp needs to be very aware of this.
Ding ding. Otherwise, yes, speaker amps are the way. Well, the CFA3 is but you get it.

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #14,762 of 25,918
Wanted to give everyone a quick update. So others don't make my mistake.

Been drinking and decided to listen to my setup. Susvara's are powered by Benchmark AHB2 Speaker Amp. I added a heft low bass shelf at 85hz and turned it up. Left driver went out. Right one still working. It was loud but not dangerously loud.

I'm still under warranty so will let them know it stopped working.

So I guess my question is, are speaker amps more prone to messing up drivers especially if you use EQ. I'm planning to get a SVS 3000 Micro or KC62 for additional sub bass. Seems like susvara drivers cant handle big bass shelfs.

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #14,763 of 25,918
speaker amps are not designed for driving high impedance and low sensitivity loads; many will run out of voltage especially when you run a big bass shelf and cause distortion.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #14,764 of 25,918
I found a case that I think will work well as a carrying case for the Susvara (True Position Tools - Universal Hard Carrying Case with Premium Kaizen Pick and Pluck Foam - Protects Electronics, Tools, Cameras and Testing Equipment, 17 x 12 x 3 In.). I will probably put some fabric over the plug foam to make it look a little nicer, but I think it is quite functional and not too bulky.

Attachments

• IMG_6035 2.JPG
    IMG_6035 2.JPG
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6036 3.JPG
    IMG_6036 3.JPG
    920.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #14,766 of 25,918
I found a case that I think will work well as a carrying case for the Susvara (True Position Tools - Universal Hard Carrying Case with Premium Kaizen Pick and Pluck Foam - Protects Electronics, Tools, Cameras and Testing Equipment, 17 x 12 x 3 In.). I will probably put some fabric over the plug foam to make it look a little nicer, but I think it is quite functional and not too bulky.

how much is it?

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #14,768 of 25,918
I'll never understand the constant "you'll blow your drivers" fear mongering when it's literally well documented how common people using the Susvara with speaker amps is, and how uncommon it is to hear of anyone actually running into problems. I haven't come across one issue personally nor have I seen any here in the past two years as the trend has become more common. Seems quite a bit silly to keep having the same argument when it simply isn't reflected as an issue in real life.. (fyi, I am aware that the same troll keeps driving this same conversation, so I'm not judging the broader group lol)
I know two reputable headfiers who have blown their Susvara drivers with speaker amps. Part of why you don't read about it is that they're embarrassed by their clumsiness..😊

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #14,769 of 25,918
Thank you for posting the link. I should have posted that to begin with. The case is about $45. I wanted a slim case and to make it fit I had to remove the bottom layer of the foam at the ear cups. I put some fabric underneath for now so that the ear cups are not directly on the plastic, however, since they are cushioned by themselves I think this will work.

Attachments

• tempImageM92QJO.png
    tempImageM92QJO.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #14,770 of 25,918
@Loquah I have a simple question for you. Why don't high quality well made tube amps such as OTC or OTL amps sound good with Susvara? And middling, basic speaker amps sound much better? Is it because the basic speakers amps are better built than extremely well made, hand made amps like DNA stratus, EC studio ?

No. It's because the tube amps often have roll-off in the bass (very rare that they don't have this with any headphone). Then there's the issue of impedance mismatching if the tube amps have high output impedance (definitely an issue with the OTL).
Then there's the simple question of what your preferred tonality is with the Susvaras. Two different sounding amps that happen to have different power outputs doesn't mean that a person's preference for a particular amp is due to its power output. That's a bit like preferring a pepperoni pizza over a margherita because the pepperoni pizza has more salt in it. I'm not saying that to be a smart-a## - just to illustrate that there are so many variables involved that we can't boil it all down to power.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #14,771 of 25,918
To go back to the power argument. I am really annoyed that Lochlan keeps saying you only need 2-3 mW to run Susvara to 80-90 db when he completely ignores the fact that said amps are generally low in current and will not make sus sound good. So his natural line is 'well the low power amps are not well made compared to higher power ones'.

So I challenge him to get a high quality tube amp (like a DNA stratus) and then listen to Susvara. Then try it again on a basic speaker amp like ahb2. Then lets see what the sonic differences really are.
Probably a good idea to put this into it's full context. What I said in full is that the Susvara only needs a few mW to reach those SPLs. I continued in the video to explain that you ideally want an amp that can take them to 110dB or more to allow for sufficient headroom that you're not operating in the high distortion zone of the amp

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #14,772 of 25,918
the legendary ef1000 when I auditioned it with susvara was halfway on high gain setting to sufficiently power it up..I don't know how it translates.
The Hifiman EF1000 doesn't have a low, medium high etc. gain setting neither for the headphone amp side nor the speaker amp side. It only has a volume control. Both the single ended and XLR ended outputs for headphones provide identical power supply levels.

Powering the Susvara, for my ears, I normally have the volume set at 1 to 4 red dots (approx. 40 to 55% of max volume) depending on the source input and the quality of the source itself i.e. running SACD hybrid re-mastered production needs the higher volume setting in order to get the full dynamics etc. from the Susvara and normal CD's at the lower red dot setting.

For my Focal 1008 Electra Be speakers I have the volume control at the max white dots (i.e. about 30 to 35% of max volume).

Therefore there is plenty of power reserve from the EF1000.

I haven't tried to hear two Susvara's or say a Susvara and a Abyss 1266 TC together yet. However, from information from Hifiman, I don't expect any fall in power, nor music performance running two such headphones at the same time from the EF1000.

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #14,773 of 25,918
To be able to drive at 110 km/h with a regular Volvo, you need an engine of about 30 horsepower max. Do people drive around in cars with engines with so little horsepower? No, of course not, that car takes forever to accelerate and would lose speed in headwinds and uphills. It's not all about how much horsepower the car has either, but at least as important is the the weight of the car and torque, which determines how much force/power the car has.

The same goes for an amplifier. It needs both voltage, current and watts. To drive planar magnetic headphones the limiting factor is almost always current and not power (watt) as it is for dynamic headphones.

If your goal is to be able to drive a 1 KHz tone to 103dB, 142mW may be enough, but if you want it to also sound good when you play real music, it is not enough.
Don't forget the low output impedance with the high quality instantaneous (i.e. directly as and when required) high current from an amp as part of the secret sauce for the Susvara.

Mar 6, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #14,774 of 25,918
I'm using lqi adapter.
Sounds very, VERY clean. You know that sound you get when an amplifier has a low distortion? That real clean sound? Everything still has beautiful warmth and lightning fast speed. Very detailed. No complaints. Definitely has more oomph then the Luxman did, even at lower volumes.
This is my third Hegel over the years but first using the binding posts for headphones.
I really like the Hegel with the Susvaras. I have tried the H95 and H190.

I feel like they have great synergy.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #14,775 of 25,918
The Hifiman EF1000 doesn't have a low, medium high etc. gain setting neither for the headphone amp side nor the speaker amp side. It only has a volume control. Both the single ended and XLR ended outputs for headphones provide identical power supply levels.

Powering the Susvara, for my ears, I normally have the volume set at 1 to 4 red dots (approx. 40 to 55% of max volume) depending on the source input and the quality of the source itself i.e. running SACD hybrid re-mastered production needs the higher volume setting in order to get the full dynamics etc. from the Susvara and normal CD's at the lower red dot setting.

For my Focal 1008 Electra Be speakers I have the volume control at the max white dots (i.e. about 30 to 35% of max volume).

Therefore there is plenty of power reserve from the EF1000.

I haven't tried to hear two Susvara's or say a Susvara and a Abyss 1266 TC together yet. However, from information from Hifiman, I don't expect any fall in power, nor music performance running two such headphones at the same time from the EF1000.

thanks for the info. i thought there were gain settings. it's a beast of an amp but the susvara were halfway already which means it's really hard to drive, the can.

it fairly neutral to bright to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back