HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 6, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #14,791 of 25,881
Yeah, it is just a specific thing with the Gustard X-16 NOS mode. I read it somewhere in the Gustard X-16 thread and I got curious so I was testing it with my miniDSP EARS. Looks like it has a treble or bass roll-off (I forgot which one) but only when NOS mode is on and only on low sample rate. So, when I change my sample rate back to 384k it overload the AHB2.
Oh that makes sense. :)

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #14,792 of 25,881
Anyone running speaker amps for Susvara interested in this new Burson monoblocks?

ED64578B-63C3-4A70-9857-66CB4382074E.jpeg
Currently running the Susvara’s off an Accuphase e-380 and I’m very tempted to give these a try.

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #14,793 of 25,881
Probably a good idea to put this into it's full context. What I said in full is that the Susvara only needs a few mW to reach those SPLs. I continued in the video to explain that you ideally want an amp that can take them to 110dB or more to allow for sufficient headroom that you're not operating in the high distortion zone of the amp

So if thats the case whats the point of even saying 'few mw' at all or even creating this 'planar power myth' section if at the end you are going to end up with a powerful amp to drive susvara anyway? Are you trying to just say you don't need a speaker amp? If so i think that is well known.

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #14,794 of 25,881
Good Lord...I don't know what the hell to believe anymore.
This guy says do not use an amp or drivers may fail. That guy says an amplifier is the only way to go.
For the love of God, I'm losing my mind.

I've driven my Susvara with both a Luxman p-750u headphone amp and a Hegel H120 integrated from the speaker taps and frankly every moment of listening has only made me nervous. Every time I increase the volume I'm wondering if this is the moment when my $6,000 headphone takes a crap. Or, if the material is too bass heavy, etc.

So is buying a $5,500 Bakoon or Enleum the only way I'm gonna sleep at night?

This headphone has given me more worry than pleasure so far.

Go ahead... Send the comments of me overreacting. I'm ready.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #14,795 of 25,881
Yes, you really need to demo gear at least at a Dealer in a quiet room where you can fully relax with your own music tracks and a hifi chain that resembles as close as possible to your home set-up for a complete day or two or much better in your own home for at least a couple of days ideally a week or two.

No never had any clipping from the Susvara nor EF1000.

+10 on that. and also based on my experience, a very quiet environment is a must to fully experience an audio gear setup.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #14,796 of 25,881
This guy says do not use an amp or drivers may fail. That guy says an amplifier is the only way to go.

I've driven my Susvara with both a Luxman p-750u headphone amp and a Hegel H120 integrated from the speaker taps and frankly every moment of listening has only made me nervous. Every time I increase the volume I'm wondering if this is the moment when my $6,000 headphone takes a crap. Or, if the material is too bass heavy, etc.

In general, you're overreacting. I've been using a very powerful speaker amp with Susvara for a couple of years now. I don't use EQ, but I do often listen to bass-heavy music at "healthy" volume levels. Maybe a year ago, I had an incident where I was testing something and inadvertently connected the "Record Out" (zero attenuation) from my preamp to the power amp, which caused the Susvara to play at an insane volume level for 5-10 seconds until I could pause the music (mute obviously didn't work for that output). No harm was done to the drivers.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #14,797 of 25,881

Depends on your own mindset, largely. I drive the Susvara with the Formula S, which is supposedly not powerful enough. It sounds great to me, and I'm happy. :)

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #14,798 of 25,881
In general, you're overreacting. I've been using a very powerful speaker amp with Susvara for a couple of years now. I don't use EQ, but I do often listen to bass-heavy music at "healthy" volume levels. Maybe a year ago, I had an incident where I was testing something and inadvertently connected the "Record Out" (zero attenuation) from my preamp to the power amp, which caused the Susvara to play at an insane volume level for 5-10 seconds until I could pause the music (mute obviously didn't work for that output). No harm was done to the drivers.
Depends on your own mindset, largely. I drive the Susvara with the Formula S, which is supposedly not powerful enough. It sounds great to me, and I'm happy. :)
👍

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #14,799 of 25,881

Also agree on the overreacting part. And again, most times when there's an issue it's almost always user error. I would get a high quality resistor box and use a constant safe practice routine (i.e. always having the volume turned all the way down to start or when changing headphones).

I actually blew my L3000 drivers last year with my WA33. It was totally my fault, and not on a speaker amplifier. One of the rarest mistakes I've ever made, had never happened before. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the WA33 with low impedance headphones, it was simply a user error.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #14,800 of 25,881

No, the Susvara’s are very, very amp picky. I was never totally satisfied with the sound of Susvara on any amp I paired them with when I had them. I was always wondering if better sound could be had. You are not alone in feeling like you do.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #14,801 of 25,881
Pretty sure he meant the manufacturer of whatever amp you're considering using.

Yep, that's what I meant :)

why don't you just ask your engineering team whether AM-77 can drive a low sensitivity 60ohm load.

It can. The question to ask here would be about the subjective outcome :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 6, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #14,802 of 25,881

Take a multimeter. Measure the voltage across the output. Does it read 0VDC when the amp is on? Great! You don't need to worry. Does it read a few mVDC? Then maybe don't use that amp.

Also, never EVER turn the amp on or off with the headphones plugged in. This can quickly kill the driver, 0VD offset or not. Only a few speaker amps have circuitry that mute the output until the amp has fully powered on.

As far as blowing the driver when playing bassy music with EQd bass, as long as your amp doesn't have a DC offset, this isn't a concern. If your amp does have a DC offset, the low frequency notes can increase the DC offset, killing the driver.

Hope this helps!

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #14,803 of 25,881
No, the Susvara’s are very, very amp picky. I was never totally satisfied with the sound of Susvara on any amp I paired them with when I had them. I was always wondering if better sound could be had. You are not alone in feeling like you do.
Funny you say that because so far, on either amplifier, the Susvara haven't given me better, more emotionally engaging sound than my HE 1000se.
While I see the appeal of the Susvara's sound, I'm STONGLY considering selling the Susvara and keeping the 1000se.

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #14,804 of 25,881
Take a multimeter. Measure the voltage across the output. Does it read 0VDC when the amp is on? Great! You don't need to worry. Does it read a few mVDC? Then maybe don't use that amp.

Also, never EVER turn the amp on or off with the headphones plugged in. This can quickly kill the driver, 0VD offset or not. Only a few speaker amps have circuitry that mute the output until the amp has fully powered on.

As far as blowing the driver when playing bassy music with EQd bass, as long as your amp doesn't have a DC offset, this isn't a concern. If your amp does have a DC offset, the low frequency notes can increase the DC offset, killing the driver.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the heads up.

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #14,805 of 25,881
So far, the Susvara hasn't given me unequivocal reason to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back