HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 10, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #10,396 of 25,592
So, I am considering getting a Susvara, but I would like to know if it would work with my headphone amp. I would like to use the GS-x mini with the Susvara, but there seems to be conflicting accounts whether or not the GS-X mini can adequately drive the Susvara's.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #10,397 of 25,592
None of my none audiophile friends react to me running my headphones with a speaker amp, but they do wonder why the power cables necessarily need to be so thick 😄.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #10,398 of 25,592
Well, Abyss sells HP amps on their website and not speaker amps, and they even asked Eleven Audio to design the Formula S amp for the 1266. So Abyss is going to be biased in their views.

After trying my Susvaras with the TToby speaker amp, the concerns mentioned in the Abyss video are massively overstated. As long as people don't do anything totally stupid with a speaker amp, all will be OK.
They are going to try and sell the power man and formula s hard as they can in their videos.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #10,399 of 25,592
They are going to try and sell the power man and formula s hard as they can in their videos.

And then there's this video from January, where they review around 20 headphone amps paired with the Abyss.

Someone else will have to verify if they disclose any sort of financial affiliation through the course of this, as I couldn't bare to watch more than the first minute of it. But anyway.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #10,400 of 25,592
And then there's this video from January, where they review around 20 headphone amps paired with the Abyss.

Someone else will have to verify if they disclose any sort of financial affiliation through the course of this, as I couldn't bare to watch more than the first minute of it. But anyway.

They don’t have to disclose anything

Their opinion is that making money is good

Theese are promotional videos. They shouldn’t be taken as anything other than Abyss giving opinions that help Abyss. If they tell you to buy the WA33 it’s because they have a special edition WA33.

Maybe some people don’t realize this but it’s not a secret.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #10,401 of 25,592
Theese are promotional videos. They shouldn’t be taken as anything other than Abyss giving opinions that help Abyss. If they tell you to buy the WA33 it’s because they have a special edition WA33.
To play devils advocate here - how do we know that Abyss did not develop that special WA33 in collaboration to make their headphones sound the best? We are all assuming here that they must be promoting it because they have a business relationship with them (same with XI Audio). But is it possible that they established those relationships because they believed those amps sound the best? Kinda "chicken-egg" problem, here.

Do they have a power to affect viewers' minds on what amp to buy? Yes, of course. They are the manufacturer of said headphone, hence (some) viewers will take their opinion on what to buy, or where to look first. This being said, from talking to other head-fiers, I get the feeling that everyone here is an intelligent individual, who can make their own mind about a product they want to try, no?

I never understood why do people get so upset about Abyss making an amp comparison video. It is in the end their opinion, isn't it? Or, are they breaking some consumer protection laws I am not aware of? I for one try to establish a baseline for a reviewer based on their opinions of gear I know well, and then based on that I try to take their advice on stuff I haven't heard. There is no substitute for trying yourself, demoing units and trying them for a week or two at least. With this level of gear, no one should be buying blindly. I know a lot of this stuff is built to order, so some of you are actually buying blindly, but I hope you have enough cash to sell and survive the re-sale blow, and call it a "journey" or an experiment.

For example, there is no single Youtube reviewer, nor a head-fier I agree on all points. Everyone has different ears, expectations, and likes different music. I think 1266 has issues with mids, even if Abyss claims it's all perfect. However, I still want to hear what Abyss guys have to say. I would also like to hear Audeze engineers, and Hifiman, and Focal, it's just they decided not to share their opinions so openly. I would respect them all equally, and again, take all of them with a grain of salt.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #10,402 of 25,592
So, I am considering getting a Susvara, but I would like to know if it would work with my headphone amp. I would like to use the GS-x mini with the Susvara, but there seems to be conflicting accounts whether or not the GS-X mini can adequately drive the Susvara's.

It can drive the Susvara pretty well, but I would say it's more of an entry level amp for it. I actually still have mine, have been meaning to sell it but just haven't. Not too long ago I compared it against the WA33 and I was pretty impressed at just how well it drove them. But the other 3 or so amps I have do all drive them noticeably better--bit fuller and refined sound. If you already have it, I don't see a reason to not give it a go, while being open to upgrading your amp in the future.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #10,403 of 25,592
A little off topic but is the AFC-10 the exact same spec (in regards to the headphone output) as the AIC-10 without volume control? 10w into 8 ohms?

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #10,404 of 25,592
It can drive the Susvara pretty well, but I would say it's more of an entry level amp for it. I actually still have mine, have been meaning to sell it but just haven't. Not too long ago I compared it against the WA33 and I was pretty impressed how at just how well it drove them. But the other 3 or so amps I have do all drive them noticeably better--bit fuller and refined sound. If you already have it, I don't see a reason to not give it a go, while being open to upgrading your amp in the future.
So, is it safe to say that the GS-X mini won't drive the Susvara to its full potential?

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #10,405 of 25,592
To play devils advocate here - how do we know that Abyss did not develop that special WA33 in collaboration to make their headphones sound the best? We are all assuming here that they must be promoting it because they have a business relationship with them (same with XI Audio). But is it possible that they established those relationships because they believed those amps sound the best? Kinda "chicken-egg" problem, here.

Do they have a power to affect viewers' minds on what amp to buy? Yes, of course. They are the manufacturer of said headphone, hence (some) viewers will take their opinion on what to buy, or where to look first. This being said, from talking to other head-fiers, I get the feeling that everyone here is an intelligent individual, who can make their own mind about a product they want to try, no?

I never understood why do people get so upset about Abyss making an amp comparison video. It is in the end their opinion, isn't it? Or, are they breaking some consumer protection laws I am not aware of? I for one try to establish a baseline for a reviewer based on their opinions of gear I know well, and then based on that I try to take their advice on stuff I haven't heard. There is no substitute for trying yourself, demoing units and trying them for a week or two at least. With this level of gear, no one should be buying blindly. I know a lot of this stuff is built to order, so some of you are actually buying blindly, but I hope you have enough cash to sell and survive the re-sale blow, and call it a "journey" or an experiment.

For example, there is no single Youtube reviewer, nor a head-fier I agree on all points. Everyone has different ears, expectations, and likes different music. I think 1266 has issues with mids, even if Abyss claims it's all perfect. However, I still want to hear what Abyss guys have to say. I would also like to hear Audeze engineers, and Hifiman, and Focal, it's just they decided not to share their opinions so openly. I would respect them all equally, and again, take all of them with a grain of salt.
They are just promotional videos at the end of the day. They sell headphones and have an interest in selling Eleven audio.

I dunno if you were directly referring to me as upset but im not.....whether or not they are telling you they love the WA33 JPS edition or the eleven audio is irrelevant we all know they're good amplifiers. They are just also running a business and have an interest in selling certain stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #10,406 of 25,592
So, is it safe to say that the GS-X mini won't drive the Susvara to its full potential?

Yes, I would say that's an accurate statement. Although they sound really good and it drives them adequately, it wouldn't be a top 5 choice for me for example.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #10,407 of 25,592
works fine

most will tell you that you need something more powerful and there are a ton of options but if your budget is small the GSX mini is great.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #10,408 of 25,592
They are just promotional videos at the end of the day. They sell headphones and have an interest in selling Eleven audio.

I dunno if you were directly referring to me as upset but im not.....whether or not they are telling you they love the WA33 JPS edition or the eleven audio is irrelevant we all know they're good amplifiers. They are just also running a business and have an interest in selling certain stuff.
Was not pointing a finger at you, sorry if my message came across like that.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #10,409 of 25,592
So right now, I'm considering purchasing the holo may kte dac and a pair of focal utopias to go with my gs-x mini or the Susvara with possibly the bakoon amp 13r to go with my entry-mid level r2r dac (musician pegasus). What do you guys think would be the best upgrade route?

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #10,410 of 25,592
So right now, I'm considering purchasing the holo may kte dac and a pair of focal utopias to go with my gs-x mini or the Susvara with possibly the bakoon amp 13r to go with my entry-mid level r2r dac (musician pegasus). What do you guys think would be the best upgrade route?
Get that Susvara + Bakoon and upgrade your source later (if ever).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back