HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 10, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #10,426 of 25,599
Is $4380 USD a good price for new Susvara's?

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #10,428 of 25,599
+/- 3yrs ago I paid $3750.00

Supposedly dealer cost has gone up (as has every cost lately it seems, covid I suppose) so perhaps 4350 is more in line with current "good" pricing. Not sure.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #10,430 of 25,599
I agree that prices have gone up on everything, but I do think the Susvara could be had for less.

But as the dealer cost on the Susvara in particular has gone up (that was my point) then $4350 may be about as low as you can go nowadays. Unless the dealer is losing money, which dealers wont do.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #10,432 of 25,599
Ok, went through the search function and read everything regarding the TT2. I didn't get a clear answer.

Is the rear XLR for the TT2 enough to power the Susvara to their potential? If not, does it get 90% there? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #10,434 of 25,599
The Susvaras arrived today and I am really, really enjoying them. Despite the steep price, I have no regrets with this purchase. There have been many comparisons of the sound characteristics between the Susvaras and the 1266s. I don’t have unique impressions to contribute to those comparisons, but I will add a metaphor (or simile) to the mix.

If these two headphones were vehicles parked in my garage, I would describe them in the following way…They are both fast. They both handle incredibly well. I really enjoy driving each of them, but I like to drive them for very different reasons.

The 1266s, to me, are a bit like a Ducati. If I were going on a short trip, perhaps Highway 1 from Carmel to Big Sur and back, then I’d want to be driving the 1266s. Just starting the engine causes an emotional and visceral reaction. The 1266s handle like a sport bike on a twisty road. There is enough power to quickly and confidently pass a slow-moving RV. I can feel every groove in the pavement. The fun-factor dial goes to 11. They have a very forward-leaning and aggressive riding position. However, riding these things for more than half a day gets uncomfortable and a bit tiring.

The Susvaras, to me, are more like a Porsche 911 Cabriolet. They are fast and they handle well. You still get wind in your hair. However, they are more refined. They allow for lean-back driving experience. While not quite as fun as the Ducati on each curve, the 911 is more enjoyable for a long drive. if I were going on a three-day trip through the mountains, I’d want to be driving the Susvaras.

For Head-fiers not familiar with this portion of the Pacific Coast Highway, I apologize for the hyper-local reference. It is an awesome stretch of pavement. I’ll also confess that I hesitated to use this metaphor as I’m sure that many of you will have different thoughts on cars and motorcycles which, to you, might be more analogous to these headphones. :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #10,435 of 25,599
This might be stretching the metaphor a bit too far…… but if headphone cables were like tires, Porsche would get serious demerits for shipping these stock tires. I don’t like the feel of this rubber.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #10,437 of 25,599
This might be stretching the metaphor a bit too far…… but if headphone cables were like tires, Porsche would get serious demerits for shipping these stock tires. I don’t like the feel of this rubber.
I would even say that the stock cable can be equated to you getting that porsche from a heroine dealer who forgot his needles and rubber cord (used to wrap around your limb before inserting the needle). Susvara stock cable is that rubber cord.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #10,438 of 25,599
Looks like this could possibly be a fun/worthwhile/surprising consideration?

SMSL VMV A1 class A amplifier

Specs:
5AECA5FB-21AA-41A5-9729-3598C7E9D328.jpeg

It looks like there is a headphone output at the back, labeled at 32ohm that seems like it’s for headphones like TC and Susvara without the need for speaker terminal adapters…

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #10,439 of 25,599
The Susvaras, to me, are more like a Porsche 911 Cabriolet. They are fast and they handle well. You still get wind in your hair. However, they are more refined. They allow for lean-back driving experience. While not quite as fun as the Ducati on each curve, the 911 is more enjoyable for a long drive. if I were going on a three-day trip through the mountains, I’d want to be driving the Susvaras.

For Head-fiers not familiar with this portion of the Pacific Coast Highway, I apologize for the hyper-local reference. It is an awesome stretch of pavement. I’ll also confess that I hesitated to use this metaphor as I’m sure that many of you will have different thoughts on cars and motorcycles which, to you, might be more analogous to these headphones. :)

Hmm I have a 911 and prefer Susvara over TC so your analogy was a bit.. uncanny.. to me. :) I also enjoyed your reference as a local, that stretch around Big Sur is one of the most scenic drives in the US.

P.S. Coincidentally Porsche does ship their Carreras w/ pretty mediocre tires, though not as bad in magnitude as stock Susvara cables.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #10,440 of 25,599
Hmm I have a 911 and prefer Susvara over TC so your analogy was a bit.. uncanny.. to me. :) I also enjoyed your reference as a local, that stretch around Big Sur is one of the most scenic drives in the US.

P.S. Coincidentally Porsche does ship their Carreras w/ pretty mediocre tires, though not as bad in magnitude as stock Susvara cables.
Thanks for this post @koven . Amusingly, when I slipped the Susvaras on today for the first time the smell of the ear pads reminded me exactly of the new car smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

• dkar
Back