HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #8,296 of 25,603
I have the opportunity to get either:
A) Susvara (to be driven via TT2 balanced XLR out or speaker amp) or,
B) M-Scaler
What type of music do you listen to? I do not own M-Scaler nor Susvara, so not the best person to ask. However, I have been reading a lot and asking even more, and people are telling me that M-Scaler adds to your music enjoyment, but with some genres more than others. For example, my EDM listening may improve less, than yours if you are into classical, if you know what I mean. With that logic, Susvara would be a better investment, as long as HTT2 can drive it sufficiently enough, which I believe people said it is serviceable until you get a speaker amp. Just my two cents.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #8,297 of 25,603
What type of music do you listen to? I do not own M-Scaler nor Susvara, so not the best person to ask. However, I have been reading a lot and asking even more, and people are telling me that M-Scaler adds to your music enjoyment, but with some genres more than others. For example, my EDM listening may improve less, than yours if you are into classical, if you know what I mean. With that logic, Susvara would be a better investment, as long as HTT2 can drive it sufficiently enough, which I believe people said it is serviceable until you get a speaker amp. Just my two cents.
I listen to a variety from baleatric electronica and trip hop, big movie scores, modern pop, blues, acoustic, 70s acid etc. I am now gravitating towards going with the Susvara first, also considering that I do have HQPlayer as well (with Sync-M and Sync-L doing a decent approximation of M-Scaler, to taste). Thanks for your two cents!

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #8,298 of 25,603
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/funk/

Does this not seem like such a good match to Susvara, in theory? I really hope someone has had a chance to experiment and post impressions. It’s very versatile and powerful in such a good-looking small footprint package.

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #8,299 of 25,603
Hi, everyone. Let me start by apologizing for the long post, but I could use your advice if you've had both the HE1000se and Susvara. I'm getting ready to replace my HE1000se with the Susvara, hoping I don't lose anything in technicalities but get a more appealing (to me) treble frequency without the need for eq. The only reason I'm worried about losing technicalities is that the HE1000se is a newer model, and I haven't seen anyone comparing the distortion number for the two headphones, not that I would know how to interpret them if I saw them anyway.

I'm back from a few years of audio rehab and updating my home rig. The household is not speaker-friendly, so this is my music nirvana. My old rig was Ayre QB-9 DSD --> Simaudio 430HA --> HE1000v1. I've replaced the QB-9 with an RME-ADI-2 FS and the HE1000 with an HE1000se. I cannot audition the Susvara before I buy, and the HE1000se has to go first, so once I pull the trigger, I can't unravel the transaction. I have a ZMF Verite Closed on the way to complement the Susvara.

I loved the HE1000v1 at first sight and kept them for years, but I always thought I was missing something in the treble. My old ears never heard the brightness some folks complained about, but I'm sensitive to bright. The HD800's didn't last a week. At first, I thought I made a mistake with the HE1000se because my ears were hearing some glare. So I explored the world of eq for the first time, making adjustments at 3.5K and 7K, and all is good.

I'm not planning on changing the 430HA. From what I can tell, with 8Ws at 50 ohms, it should have enough power to drive the Susvara. So I"m looking at a RME-ADI-2 --> Simaudio 430HA --> Susvara setup.

Any input?

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #8,300 of 25,603
Such bass and slam on the R10P.

73291A48-7D8F-4B63-9FF8-1751B5F0BB27.jpeg

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #8,301 of 25,603
Apr 30, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #8,302 of 25,603
Such bass and slam on the R10P.

73291A48-7D8F-4B63-9FF8-1751B5F0BB27.jpeg
About time!
What do you use to power them?

Can you comfortably use thr Pass combo, or does that have some noise on the R10P?

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #8,304 of 25,603
I have an opportunity to move from Meze Empyrean headphones to Susvara, would anyone be able to tell me what difference I could expect?

Also, in particular how it performs with a Chord Hugo TT2?

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #8,305 of 25,603
I have an opportunity to move from Meze Empyrean headphones to Susvara, would anyone be able to tell me what difference I could expect?

You can expect a more detailed presentation, better layering, less Bass quantity, especially if you don't have a speaker amp.

The Susvara is still very musical but less so than the Empyrean.
While the Susvara is still comfortable it's less than the Empyrean.

Disclaimer: The Empyrean is my absolute favourite headphone and I like slightly elevated bass which many describe as weakness. Therefore keep this in mind.

If you crave more detail the Susvara is a great Alternative. If the Empyrean offers enough detail retrieval for you, you might even prefer it.

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #8,306 of 25,603
Hi, everyone. Let me start by apologizing for the long post, but I could use your advice if you've had both the HE1000se and Susvara. I'm getting ready to replace my HE1000se with the Susvara, hoping I don't lose anything in technicalities but get a more appealing (to me) treble frequency without the need for eq. The only reason I'm worried about losing technicalities is that the HE1000se is a newer model, and I haven't seen anyone comparing the distortion number for the two headphones, not that I would know how to interpret them if I saw them anyway.

I'm back from a few years of audio rehab and updating my home rig. The household is not speaker-friendly, so this is my music nirvana. My old rig was Ayre QB-9 DSD --> Simaudio 430HA --> HE1000v1. I've replaced the QB-9 with an RME-ADI-2 FS and the HE1000 with an HE1000se. I cannot audition the Susvara before I buy, and the HE1000se has to go first, so once I pull the trigger, I can't unravel the transaction. I have a ZMF Verite Closed on the way to complement the Susvara.

I loved the HE1000v1 at first sight and kept them for years, but I always thought I was missing something in the treble. My old ears never heard the brightness some folks complained about, but I'm sensitive to bright. The HD800's didn't last a week. At first, I thought I made a mistake with the HE1000se because my ears were hearing some glare. So I explored the world of eq for the first time, making adjustments at 3.5K and 7K, and all is good.

I'm not planning on changing the 430HA. From what I can tell, with 8Ws at 50 ohms, it should have enough power to drive the Susvara. So I"m looking at a RME-ADI-2 --> Simaudio 430HA --> Susvara setup.

Any input?
A few years i demoed the susvara with 430had. Transparency is the description. Very transparent.
no issue with treble.
i never demoed the hekse with the moon dac amp.

my views are in many previous posts so in summary

i own the hekse and susvara.
the hekse is a fantastic hp driven well by anything and scales up.
the susvara is even better but must be
driven well and can sound very magical or you’ll be short changed.

though some are critical of the moon amp and may call it as lacking dynamics, if you are enjoying it then the susvara will have another level of transparency/naturalness above the hekse

Another way to put it: my hekse is up for sale. After owning the susvara for 4 months i have accepted the fact that i keep reaching for the susvara over the hekse, essentially, everytime that i am at my headphone desktop setup.

if i was wanting to hear more music when i was sitting on my couch, eg out of my iphone or iPad then i would keep the hekse and would not grab any other open headphone

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #8,307 of 25,603
You can expect a more detailed presentation, better layering, less Bass quantity, especially if you don't have a speaker amp.

Disclaimer: The Empyrean is my absolute favourite headphone and I like slightly elevated bass which many describe as weakness. Therefore keep this in mind.

If you crave more detail the Susvara is a great Alternative. If the Empyrean offers enough detail retrieval for you, you might even prefer it.

Thats is very interesting and does make me rethink, as I enjoy bass driven music primarily so perhaps this isn't a good fit for me after all if it is less so than the Empyrean.

The Meze's are wonderfully comfortable, much as I would expect the Susvaras to be.

I thought of looking into the Abyss, but the size/weight and form factor is somewhat off-putting.

With no burning reason to change from the Empyreans, it could be best that I stay as I am.

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #8,308 of 25,603

I have not heard the susvara out of the hugo tt2

i own the susvara.
I sold the empyrean to buy the susvara.

i sometines miss the empyreans though i know i would use the susvara more if i had both.

for me both are very comfortable.
for me the empys are not as exceptionally as comfortable as others find them but they are comfortable.

Susvara detail is two levels higher than the empys.
susvaras are very transparent.
empys have a great rich /warm/lush tone in the lower end and lower mids that are really enjoyable if that suits you.

that’s how i found them

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #8,309 of 25,603

Like thanatos how finds the empys idela for him, i find the susvaras (pretty much) ideal for me in one hp

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #8,310 of 25,603
There is no better headphone out there Susvara is KING! Utopia to narrow metallic. Abyss TC recessed mids. LCD-4 no highs.
This is the only TOTL headphones without flaws! Beats even my reference for years the SR007 MK2 bass port mod + KGSSHv Carbon.
Great with V281 and even with my Shanling M8 amazing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back