HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #8,266 of 25,603
It's interesting that the Etude is making a pretty undeniable difference with the Susvara's bass quantity, but not as much with the Abyss. It's like the Susvara isn't restrained at all with sub-bass, seems to extend as low but with more quantity instead of rolling off like it used to. I might be leaning towards driving the Susvara from the Etude and driving the Abyss TC directly from the TT2. Will write more as I listen, but I like the effect it's having on the Susvara more than the Abyss. The Susvara just soaks up the power like a sponge.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #8,267 of 25,603
The reason I ask is because the Susvara apparently requires only 3.49 Vrms (=159mW with its 60 ohm load) to output 105 dB (calculator). The KANN Alpha does 12 Vrms, so I was thinking it would be way overkill.

I am actually very confused by everyone recommending what seem to be very overkill amps. If the 83 dB/mW figure is right, you all should be blowing out your ears well before utilizing the full range of the amp. This clearly isn’t the case, so I’m wondering where the calculations are wrong. How are you guys managing to utilize even a fraction of say, the Bakoon or speaker amps’ output? When buying an amp for the Susvara, what specs did you look at to determine if it would be sufficient?

Either Hifiman put down incorrect specs for their $6k headphone, or something else is going on here, but I can’t put my finger on it.

Yes it can be hard to believe, and many have questioning the advantages of the use of a very powerful amplifier to drive Susvara. Many who actually tried many different amps have experienced that both HE6 and Susvara sound clearly better driven by a powerful quality amplifier.

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #8,269 of 25,603
79AE20CB-A361-4222-A8BA-EE166E566D32.jpeg

The Kann Alpha is a pretty sweet DAP. But the O/S, in my opinion, is terrible. Tidal crashes often and I think a bunch of AK users are waiting for an update or some such thing to be able to use Tidal more smoothly.

It is a powerful DAP. Has good synergy with Focal Headphones. The Diana V2 also sounded really good off this DAP.

You can listen to the Sus off this DAP and you will enjoy the experience, but the Sus won’t sound the way it does on my Accuphase e380 stereo amp (which I prefer to my Pass XA25, these days). To be precise, the staging, speed and dynamics are superior on a stereo amp than on the Alpha (unsurprising?).

Overall, it is a more visceral and lifelike experience on a speaker amp, if you ask me.
@tusing

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #8,271 of 25,603
Man, the 13R is just so sexy! The WA33 beckons me from the tube world and this amp beckons me from the SS realm. And, then, there's the new Wells Audio Dragon from the hybrid side. I've developed an incurable amp lust. :smiling_imp:
“Amp lust” lol. Been there. I imagine this particular vice is common among Susvara owners - at least until you find a keeper or two (or three).

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #8,272 of 25,603
Heared the new Evergrey Album on the M8 with the Susvara. Gives me tons of details and great visceral impact. Really loosing maybe the last word in staging and punch vs V281.
This album is great on almost everything.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #8,273 of 25,603
I purchased Dekoni sheepskin pads for my susvara and returned a few months ago since they had a pungent strong odor that transfered to my ears and cheeks. I did hear a difference and decided to try again, this time with the fenestrated sheepskin version bought using Drop

The FSS pads get very good feedback from several members on this forum. This pair is better but still have the distinctive smell but to a lesser degree. Am I just unlucky and have received 2 sets that are a bit smelly or have others also received Dekoni pads with a not so pleasant odor?
This is not a classic leather smell.

I may return these and chalk it up to these pads are not working for me and simply enjoy the OEM pads.

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #8,274 of 25,603
I purchased Dekoni sheepskin pads for my susvara and returned a few months ago since they had a pungent strong odor that transfered to my ears and cheeks. I did hear a difference and decided to try again, this time with the fenestrated sheepskin version bought using Drop

The FSS pads get very good feedback from several members on this forum. This pair is better but still have the distinctive smell but to a lesser degree. Am I just unlucky and have received 2 sets that are a bit smelly or have others also received Dekoni pads with a not so pleasant odor?

I may return these and chalk it up to these pads are not working for me and simply enjoy the OEM pads.
I have the FSS and just verified that I have to put my nose right up to them to detect any aroma at all. When I did, they smelled like... leather.

Maybe you have a more advanced olfactory sense than I. (?)

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #8,275 of 25,603
Man, the 13R is just so sexy! The WA33 beckons me from the tube world and this amp beckons me from the SS realm. And, then, there's the new Wells Audio Dragon from the hybrid side. I've developed an incurable amp lust. :smiling_imp:

Of the three I dig that Bakoon's look the most :)

WA33 reminds me about RSA amps and that's also something super cool.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #8,276 of 25,603
Of the three I dig that Bakoon's look the most :)

WA33 reminds me about RSA amps and that's also something super cool.
The feet on the bottom are super unique for sure

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #8,278 of 25,603

The smell will probably wear off after a week or so. The sheep they were made from hadn't bathed in a while, that's all. The FSS are worth it, they are my default pads now for the Susvara.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #8,280 of 25,603
The smell will probably wear off after a week or so. The sheep they were made from hadn't bathed in a while, that's all. The FSS are worth it, they are my default pads now for the Susvara.
Do you get a free pair of wellies (wellington boots) when you buy the Dekoni Sheep skin pads ? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back