HiFiMan Susvara
May 19, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #3,706 of 25,603
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on Susvara.. I had the 009 and BHSE for a while last year, I think Susvara comes closest to 009 out of all non-electrostats, it's a similarly ethereal Stax experience to me except coupled w/ planar bass.

That's exactly my impression thus far. I was actually really surprised at how close it comes to "goodness" of the HE60 and 009, and really the 009 in particular. More so than the TC or anything else I've heard. And the added bass is much appreciated. Stats are still more surreal and have a bit more magic, but the gap is not as wide as with other non-stats at all.

Likewise! Versus 009? Why not! That Stax should be airier and tonally lighter I imagine :)

Also agree here. The 009 is airier, slightly more transparent and the midrange is just better (although the midrange on the Susvara is really good).

I do have to say that at the moment I would prefer to keep both. I keep looking for reasons to downsize and retire the stats and it's frustrating that I can't come to that conclusion lol. That said, I'm really liking the Susvara..it's downright preferable with some music given the bass/impact. Full impressions after the WA33 arrives! :)

May 19, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #3,707 of 25,603
Also agree here. The 009 is airier, slightly more transparent and the midrange is just better (although the midrange on the Susvara is really good).

I do have to say that at the moment I would prefer to keep both. I keep looking for reasons to downsize and retire the stats and it's frustrating that I can't come to that conclusion lol. That said, I'm really liking the Susvara..it's downright preferable with some music given the bass/impact. Full impressions after the WA33 arrives! :)

Thanks! If you can afford keeping both, I would. Just to have something estat around :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 19, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3,708 of 25,603
That's exactly my impression thus far. I was actually really surprised at how close it comes to "goodness" of the HE60 and 009, and really the 009 in particular. More so than the TC or anything else I've heard. And the added bass is much appreciated. Stats are still more surreal and have a bit more magic, but the gap is not as wide as with other non-stats at all.

Uh oh, you guys are scaring me as I have no love for the 009 at all, for me it is too bright and thin sounding. 007 maybe? Much prefer the tonality of the Susvara also the added bass response too.

May 19, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #3,709 of 25,603
Thanks! If you can afford keeping both, I would. Just to have something estat around :ksc75smile:

Yea for now, I just can't get rid of the HE60/009. So for now I definitely am!

Uh oh, you guys are scaring me as I have no love for the 009 at all, for me it is too bright and thin sounding. 007 maybe? Much prefer the tonality of the Susvara also the added bass response too.

Nothing to worry about, the Susvara is definitely warmer in tonality and there isn't a single issue with the highs like there sometimes is with the 009. The similarities are more regarding detail retrieval, speed, imaging, and the overall surreal nature of the sound.

What did you power the 009 with? Out of the BHSE the initial sense is that they are slightly less than full sounding, at least vs. the Woo Audio WES.. however, once you mentally acclimate the openness, transparency and midrange are just unmatched (at least to me). However, for ppl that the 009 just doesn't work for, the 007 MK1 is an excellent alternative. My 007 MK1's have been repaired and I'll have them back soon.. I actually really loved them, but I'll have to wait until they're back to confirm impressions vs. the Susvara.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #3,710 of 25,603
Yea for now, I just can't get rid of the HE60/009. So for now I definitely am!

Nothing to worry about, the Susvara is definitely warmer in tonality and there isn't a single issue with the highs like there sometimes is with the 009. The similarities are more regarding detail retrieval, speed, and the overall surreal nature of the sound.

What did you power the 009 with? Out of the BHSE the initial sense is that they are slightly less than full sounding, at least vs. the Woo Audio WES.. however, once you mentally acclimate the openness, transparency and midrange are just unmatched (at least to me). However, for ppl that the 009 just doesn't work for, the 007 MK1 is an excellent alternative. My 007 MK1's have been repaired and I'll have them back soon.. I actually really loved them, but I'll have to wait until they're back to confirm impressions vs. the Susvara.
Heard the 009 on both the Woo and BHSE. Preferred the Woo. Actually come to think of it the 007 seemed to match the tonality of the Susvara more than the 009.

Anyway, I was just in the TC thread and @koven joked ‘they say that Hifiman has QC issues’. They are going back and forth over bad O rings and Joe stepped in and asked if they lost their GD minds? I don’t know guys, you gotta pick it up over here to match the good entertainment of the TC thread!

May 19, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #3,711 of 25,603
Anyway, I was just in the TC thread and @koven joked ‘they say that Hifiman has QC issues’. They are going back and forth over bad O rings and Joe stepped in and asked if they lost their GD minds? I don’t know guys, you gotta pick it up over here to match the good entertainment of the TC thread!

Never heard of a Susvara headband snapping, just sayin'.... :D

May 19, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #3,712 of 25,603

009 is on the leaner side relative to many other headphones but it had enough meat on the bone for me personally... truly thin and bright to me would be like the SR1A and HD800.

May 19, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #3,713 of 25,603
009 is on the leaner side relative to many other headphones but it had enough meat on the bone for me personally... truly thin and bright to me would be like the SR1A and HD800.
I can take the HD800. SR1, absolutely not. 009 meh. 007 with the right amp like the Woo, good. For me the Susvara and the TC are about the best.

May 19, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #3,714 of 25,603
I have 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon, Sr1a by Jot R and Hd 800s.

After having Freya fitted with Nos tube between Dave and headphone amp, all of them sound natural and refined not thin.

But without Freya, Sr1a sound thin or too hot

I had considered adding 1266 TC to my collection of headphones but I will put if off until next year since I had been happy with 009s, Sr1a and hd800s after addition of Freya.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #3,715 of 25,603
Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 20, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #3,716 of 25,603
@koven - thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts re: the Bakoon vs HPA4. Unfortunately, I don't own a pair of Susvara's yet but your content is as relevant for Abyss owners IMHO.

My budget is limited to $AU10K/$US7K which prices out the likes of Aries Cerat when postage and duty is bought into the equation. There's a Viva Egoista about to become available locally, unfortunately, they don't seem to have a local dealer anymore. Whereas Bakoon has great representation down-under. All important points to consider.

As an aside, @VintageAudio - I ran a pair of special edition PE3SR's many moons ago in near-field setup via vintage integrated, the excellent Sansui AU-717. Having not heard any of Voxactiv's no doubt excellent offerings I found the PE3SR's excelled as nearfield monitors. There's was soundstage depth and width, with exceptional placement. Quite the surreal experience to be honest. Here's a picture of that setup (it was also my Headfi Station w/the OG Abyss. The DAC & Streamer was the excellent MSB Analog DAC + Powerbase and Aurenders N100H:

c531d1c3-2f89-43a9-a9bc-63bcb43ec2af.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #3,717 of 25,603
@koven - thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts re: the Bakoon vs HPA4. Unfortunately, I don't own a pair of Susvara's yet but your content is as relevant for Abyss owners IMHO.

My budget is limited to $AU10K/$US7K which prices out the likes of Aries Cerat when postage and duty is bought into the equation. There's a Viva Egoista about to become available locally, unfortunately, they don't seem to have a local dealer anymore. Whereas Bakoon has great representation down-under. All important points to consider.

As an aside, @VintageAudio - I ran a pair of special edition PE3SR's many moons ago in near-field setup via vintage integrated, the excellent Sansui AU-717. Having not heard any of Voxactiv's no doubt excellent offerings I found the PE3SR's excelled as nearfield monitors. There's was soundstage depth and width, with exceptional placement. Quite the surreal experience to be honest. Here's a picture of that setup (it was also my Headfi Station w/the OG Abyss. The DAC & Streamer was the excellent MSB Analog DAC + Powerbase and Aurenders N100H:

c531d1c3-2f89-43a9-a9bc-63bcb43ec2af.jpg

May 20, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,718 of 25,603
Thanks Galacticsoap! I've already placed my deposit on the Bakoon AMP-13R and will grab a set of the Harbeth P3ESR Anniversary next.

Its comforting to hear you found they excelled at near field. Really looking forward to putting them through their paces and owning such a well regarded brand that's stood the test of time.

May 20, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,719 of 25,603
Thanks Galacticsoap! I've already placed my deposit on the Bakoon AMP-13R and will grab a set of the Harbeth P3ESR Anniversary next.

Its comforting to hear you found they excelled at near field. Really looking forward to putting them through their paces and owning such a well regarded brand that's stood the test of time.

Exciting, look forward to your impressions on the Bakoon.

Sweet desktop setup. And yes I'm highly curious how well the Bakoon would perform w/ the TC, it's too bad I don't have one.. maybe in the near future I'll be tempted enough.

May 20, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #3,720 of 25,603
@koven

Thank you! I'm still running a quasi near-field system in a less than ideal room these days however many of the components have changed. TAD's CR-1's have replaced the Harbeths, and Tube Pre from Line Magnetic alongside Hypex NC1200 Class D mono's have replaced the vintage Sansui. The room is also my headphone space. I'm tempted to get a 2 channel class D amplifier and be done with it, and had I only owned a pair of class TC's I may have done that but the recent acquisition of a pair TH900's dictates the acquisition of a proper headphone amplifier.

My listening room now looks like this:

20200327_153052.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back