HiFiMan Susvara
May 12, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #3,676 of 25,599
Let the showdown begin!

q9FAID4.jpg

Doh! Stop teasing us! Share all. I'd like some independent thoughts on this before dishing out $3-6K. Looks so nice. You should keep everything :)

May 12, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #3,677 of 25,599
Doh! Stop teasing us! Share all. I'd like some independent thoughts on this before dishing out $3-6K. Looks so nice. You should keep everything :)

Based on your user name................are you planning on driving the Susvara with vintage speaker amps? Straight from the taps? Do tell.............I'm a huge vintage fan with 8 systems in use and run the HE-6SE from speaker taps of a Pioneer Spec system from 1978 and it rocks.................

May 12, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #3,678 of 25,599
Based on your user name................are you planning on driving the Susvara with vintage speaker amps? Straight from the taps? Do tell.............I'm a huge vintage fan with 8 systems in use and run the HE-6SE from speaker taps of a Pioneer Spec system from 1978 and it rocks.................

Oregonian,

I have tried the Susvara on a budget NAD C315BEE and they sounded great. Although I was not directly A/B testing, based off of memory between a walk to my friends place and my apartment, I could discern no significant difference running off of speaker tabs between the NAD and $15-20K full PS Audio stack off of speaker taps.

I also tried the Susvara's off of a Marantz 2245 speaker taps, but did not find it very impressive or impressionable. It was a little bit awkward testing this because the of the spring clips on the back of the Marantz and I had to hack an adapter to go from bare wire to banana pins. In all fairness, this could be the reason why it didn't sound great. I abandoned this pretty quickly just because of the hassle.

I'm eagerly awaiting Koven's thoughts and hoping the Bakoon can really squeeze out more sound quality from the Susvaras.

May 13, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #3,679 of 25,599
Oooh very nice! Let us know your thoughts on the bakoon!
I'm eager to get one, but Holo May is first on my list

Haven't seen many impressions of Holo May yet, looks killer though.

I'm eagerly awaiting Koven's thoughts and hoping the Bakoon can really squeeze out more sound quality from the Susvaras.

Well here's some off the cuff jargon after 6~7 hours of A/B listening. First of all, both have enough power for Susvara and an incredibly low noise floor. All in all I'm not hearing a night and day difference by any means, right off the bat I actually thought they sounded nearly identical. I don't see that as a ding on the Bakoon but more a testament to how good the HPA4 is. If you're after bang for buck, I'd call it a day w/ the Benchmark and know you're near or at recognizing Susvara's full potential. However, if you're into splitting hairs and realizing that last x%, then read on I suppose. As time passed w/ the Bakoon, I began to perceive granular differences which I think any discerning audiophile would also pick up. Most remarkably I'm noticing the Bakoon is rather euphonic for an SS amp, almost reminds me of a tube/SET sound but w/o the distortion and floppy bass. I'd never describe the Benchmark as dry, but the Bakoon sounds relatively more analog and organic. In other words, the Bakoon seems 'warm' for an SS. Most SS I've used are either neutral or cold/analytical. There are only two SS (headphone) amps I'd classify, from experience, as warm - Liquid Gold and V281. Bakoon reminds me of both except w/ extra notches of refinement. V281 is a strong performer but it's no poster boy for micro-detail. Liquid Gold is much more reference than V281 but I digress; back to Bakoon... one aspect Bakoon specifically excels is female vocals, the HPA4 comes across a touch etched at times especially on higher notes but the Bakoon stays silky smooth through and through, truly exemplary treble performance. Midrange is a coin flip to me, I test jazz/sax here and both feel closely realistic on instrument decay and timbre. For bass and dynamics I turn to EDM, Bakoon slightly edges ahead on impact and texture but it conveys perceptible contrast on transients and dynamics - it is quite apparent on complex passages where the musicality of the Bakoon shines compared to a flatter delivery from HPA4. Lastly, layering is equally excellent on both and imaging is a toss-up, kind of, this was tougher to distinguish and I only noticed a minor divergence on some tracks where Bakoon seemingly portrayed a more holographic stage w/ better Z-axis depth but ultimately I think it's too close to call.

To conclude, of course please take these impressions for what it's worth, when subjectively comparing S-tier products it's surely going to be sprinkled w/ hyperbolic commentary to tease out minute disparities. Bottom line, is the Bakoon a better amp to me? Yes, it's more liquid and grainless, cost aside I'd take it in a heartbeat. Is it worth double the price of HPA4 to me? I'm not sure. If I had efficient speakers to use alongside, I could easily convince myself, but I don't. On one hand, the Bakoon is handily the best SS amp (w/ headphone out) that I've had the pleasure of trying, on the other hand this exercise also reaffirmed for me the value proposition of the HPA4; something something diminishing returns. I'm currently uncertain on upgrading to the Bakoon (this was kindly loaned to me as a demo). I have a new DAC arriving (Rockna Wavelight) next week and would like to try the synergy w/ both before deciding.

I listened to both through a Lumin streamer to DAC3. XLR out to HPA4, RCA out to Bakoon, unscientifically volume matched w/ a cheap SPL meter. Some local FLAC, but mostly Tidal via Roon. If anyone is curious on genre, below is my top 20 most played which I primarily used for familiarity.

1589350066400.png

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #3,680 of 25,599

Well here's some off the cuff jargon after 6~7 hours of A/B listening. First of all, both have enough power for Susvara and an incredibly low noise floor. All in all I'm not hearing a night and day difference by any means, right off the bat I actually thought they sounded nearly identical. I don't see that as a ding on the Bakoon but more a testament to how good the HPA4 is. If you're after bang for buck, I'd call it a day w/ the Benchmark and know you're near or at recognizing Susvara's full potential. However, if you're into splitting hairs and realizing that last x%, then read on I suppose. As time passed w/ the Bakoon, I began to perceive granular differences which I think any discerning audiophile would also pick up. Most remarkably I'm noticing the Bakoon is rather euphonic for an SS amp, almost reminds me of a tube/SET sound but w/o the distortion and floppy bass. I'd never describe the Benchmark as dry, but the Bakoon sounds relatively more analog and organic. In other words, the Bakoon seems 'warm' for an SS. Most SS I've used are either neutral or cold/analytical. There are only two SS (headphone) amps I'd classify, from experience, as warm - Liquid Gold and V281. Bakoon reminds me of both except w/ extra notches of refinement. V281 is a strong performer but it's no poster boy for micro-detail. Liquid Gold is much more reference than V281 but I digress; back to Bakoon... one aspect Bakoon specifically excels is female vocals, the HPA4 comes across a touch etched at times especially on higher notes but the Bakoon stays silky smooth through and through, truly exemplary treble performance. Midrange is a coin flip to me, I test jazz/sax here and both feel closely realistic on instrument decay and timbre. For bass and dynamics I turn to EDM, Bakoon slightly edges ahead on impact and texture but it conveys perceptible contrast on transients and dynamics - it is quite apparent on complex passages where the musicality of the Bakoon shines compared to a flatter delivery from HPA4. Lastly, layering is equally excellent on both and imaging is a toss-up, kind of, this was tougher to distinguish and I only noticed a minor divergence on some tracks where Bakoon seemingly portrayed a more holographic stage w/ better Z-axis depth but ultimately I think it's too close to call.

To conclude, of course please take these impressions for what it's worth, when subjectively comparing S-tier products it's surely going to be sprinkled w/ hyperbolic commentary to tease out minute disparities. Bottom line, is the Bakoon a better amp to me? Yes, it's more liquid and grainless, cost aside I'd take it in a heartbeat. Is it worth double the price of HPA4 to me? I'm not sure. If I had efficient speakers to use alongside, I could easily convince myself, but I don't. On one hand, the Bakoon is handily the best SS amp (w/ headphone out) that I've had the pleasure of trying, on the other hand this exercise also reaffirmed for me the value proposition of the HPA4; something something diminishing returns. I'm currently uncertain on upgrading to the Bakoon (this was kindly loaned to me as a demo). I have a new DAC arriving (Rockna Wavelight) next week and would like to try the synergy w/ both before deciding.

I listened to both through a Lumin streamer to DAC3. XLR out to HPA4, RCA out to Bakoon, unscientifically volume matched w/ a cheap SPL meter. Some local FLAC, but mostly Tidal via Roon. If anyone is curious on genre, below is my top 20 most played which I primarily used for familiarity.

1589350066400.png

Wow, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on your listening experience thus far. I think I will take the plunge. It's seems like the best option I could have for a minimalist desktop that let me enjoy Susvara to full potential and double as a nearfield speaker amp. I like the design, size and dual feature set. Let us know how the Rockna tests go!

I'll still be on the hunt for a suitable dac to match with the Susvara and Bakoon :)

May 13, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #3,681 of 25,599
If You are looking for the best HP amp and efficient speaker amp in the world wrapped in the smallest package.... there is nothing that comes close to this in existence today... one hell of a desktop or minimalist setup... as koven mentioned... same result vs tt2... grainy treble disappeared with Bakoon. I really need to try it with audeze lcd4z. Based on the 6 moons reviews and the comps myself and koven did... this is probably the best HP/Speaker amp Combo today. Grail for desktop Near field and HP. I will report back when I have both 2channel and audeze impressions.
Wow, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on your listening experience thus far. I think I will take the plunge. It's seems like the best option I could have for a minimalist desktop that let me enjoy Susvara to full potential and double as a nearfield speaker amp. I like the design, size and dual feature set. Let us know how the Rockna tests go!

I'll still be on the hunt for a suitable dac to match with the Susvara and Bakoon :)

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #3,682 of 25,599
If You are looking for the best HP amp and efficient speaker amp in the world wrapped in the smallest package.... there is nothing that comes close to this in existence today... one hell of a desktop or minimalist setup... as koven mentioned... same result vs tt2... grainy treble disappeared with Bakoon. I really need to try it with audeze lcd4z. Based on the 6 moons reviews and the comps myself and koven did... this is probably the best HP/Speaker amp Combo today. Grail for desktop Near field and HP. I will report back when I have both 2channel and audeze impressions.

Radnor - thanks so much for this insight. It gives me more confidence hearing this from publications as well as end-users like yourself and Koven.

Right now for near-field I just have budget KEF Q100's. I liked the their look, size and sound quality for the price. When I upgrade to the Bakoon, I'll of course have to upgrade the speakers too (with Susvara's I'm all set). I'm heavily leaning towards the Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary Edition. I've only heard good things about its near-field capability, size-wise they will take up even less space than the KEF 100s. As long as power will not be an issue, I'm drooling at the prospect of sound stage, imaging and holographic sound I'm imagining the pairing could provide.

Bakoon's current based implementation must be really, really good, if even through lower voltage RCA inputs, it's providing clean gain.

I just wish the BNC Satri connection was not proprietary. I may investigate if I can build a Raspberry PI streamer with a BNC output that I could use to feed the Bakoon.

I think Bakoon, Susvara, Adi-2, Ares II & Harbeth will make for an amazing desktop setup.

May 13, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #3,683 of 25,599
Radnor - thanks so much for this insight. It gives me more confidence hearing this from publications as well as end-users like yourself and Koven.

Right now for near-field I just have budget KEF Q100's. I liked the their look, size and sound quality for the price. When I upgrade to the Bakoon, I'll of course have to upgrade the speakers too (with Susvara's I'm all set). I'm heavily leaning towards the Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary Edition. I've only heard good things about its near-field capability, size-wise they will take up even less space than the KEF 100s. As long as power will not be an issue, I'm drooling at the prospect of sound stage, imaging and holographic sound I'm imagining the pairing could provide.

Bakoon's current based implementation must be really, really good, if even through lower voltage RCA inputs, it's providing clean gain.

I just wish the BNC Satri connection was not proprietary. I may investigate if I can build a Raspberry PI streamer with a BNC output that I could use to feed the Bakoon.

I think Bakoon, Susvara, Adi-2, Ares II & Harbeth will make for an amazing desktop setup.

That would indeed be a pretty ultimate desktop setup. What other nearfield monitors have you considered which may work well w/ the Bakoon? I imagine you cannot go wrong w/ P3ESR but there are some options from ProAc, Omega, Voxativ, etc.

May 13, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #3,684 of 25,599
If You are looking for the best HP amp and efficient speaker amp in the world wrapped in the smallest package.... there is nothing that comes close to this in existence today... one hell of a desktop or minimalist setup... as koven mentioned... same result vs tt2... grainy treble disappeared with Bakoon. I really need to try it with audeze lcd4z.

sounds like a great combo! expect some bakoon surprises for the Satri BNC connection in the future!

May 14, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #3,685 of 25,599
Voxativ, etc.

Full-range drives don't like high DF. No bass with Bakoon and alike. Over the years I had three different Voxativ applications at my workshop and no transistor worked well with them. Just the nature of the beast.

That's a very cool and accurate comparison you did btw. Thanks!

That's close to 20K worth of equipment. Insane yet clean.

The D/A at my office is 30k and you could easily spend twice as much. Audio is kinda crazy :)

Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 14, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #3,686 of 25,599
Full-range drives don't like high DF. No bass with Bakoon and alike. Over the years I had three different Voxativ applications at my workshop and no transistor worked well with them. Just the nature of the beast.

That's a very cool and accurate comparison you did btw. Thanks!

The D/A at my office is 30k and you could easily spend twice as much. Audio is kinda crazy :)

Good to know on the Voxativ, thanks. Are you still using the Bakoon yourself?

May 14, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3,687 of 25,599
Formula S and Powerman should also be a contender.

May 14, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #3,688 of 25,599
Interesting. Off topic but do you find single driver speakers have weak bass and low dynamics / power handling?

May 14, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #3,689 of 25,599
Formula S and Powerman should also be a contender.

I am using the formula s/powerman combo with both my abyss tc and my susvara and in both cases it is wonderful

May 14, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #3,690 of 25,599

1589350066400.png

Really nice impressions. Also good to see reinforcement on the fact that the HPA4 really does well with the Susvara from a power standpoint. Mine are arriving today and I have the GSX Mini with similar power. Snagged a vintage AKG K1000 so I will likely have to upgrade soon, the Bakoon looks like a good option in addition to the WA33 I've been looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back