HiFiMan Susvara
May 14, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #3,691 of 25,603
That would indeed be a pretty ultimate desktop setup. What other nearfield monitors have you considered which may work well w/ the Bakoon? I imagine you cannot go wrong w/ P3ESR but there are some options from ProAc, Omega, Voxativ, etc.

I was considering the Buchardt S400s. For me, audio gear has to look good as well as sound good. However, I abandoned the idea Burchardts because I heard that they did not work well in nearfield. They need breathing room. Desktop, nearfield, close to a wall limits my options quite a bit.

One reason I went with KEF Q100s was because of looks, size and they are front ported. I understand the Harbeths have no ports at all. I have heard of the ProAc but not the other models you mentioned.

Will do some googling, however I am partial to the Harbeths due to resale and their history.

May 14, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #3,692 of 25,603
I was considering the Buchardt S400s. For me, audio gear has to look good as well as sound good. However, I abandoned the idea Burchardts because I heard that they did not work well in nearfield. They need breathing room. Desktop, nearfield, close to a wall limits my options quite a bit.

One reason I went with KEF Q100s was because of looks, size and they are front ported. I understand the Harbeths have no ports at all. I have heard of the ProAc but not the other models you mentioned.

Will do some googling, however I am partial to the Harbeths due to resale and their history.

Yes the S400 would need some space, also a much bigger footprint than the Harbeth/ProAc. I think the P3ESR and Tab 10 are basically direct competitors. Both similarly small and sealed so can go up against a wall. The impressions I've read are nearly split 50/50 on preference. I currently use the KEF LSX but I'm sure either would be an upgrade.

May 15, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #3,693 of 25,603
Good to know on the Voxativ, thanks. Are you still using the Bakoon yourself?

Voxativ and many other widebanders too. The rough guideline is the same. Many people think this driver type needs one magic super-synergistic amp, but in reality it all comes down to a simple DF ratio. Even a transistor will do, but it has to have SET alike DF. We're talking 8 or 16 and not i.e. 500 or 1000.

Yup, Bakoon isn't going anywhere.

Interesting. Off topic but do you find single driver speakers have weak bass and low dynamics / power handling?

Nope, not at all. Full-range drivers simply don't like to be pressed by amps, it limits them. On bass they're not as good as say active isobaric subs, but can be respectable.

Widebanders on dynamics are actually superior over many regular drivers. I mean, immediacy and snap you can get with widebanders, that's addictive. That's what happens when you don't have a crossover. Each time after hearing a full-range for several days, everything else seems slow, veiled and distant.

They need breathing room. Desktop, nearfield, close to a wall limits my options quite a bit.

Can't agree with that in 100%, sorry! I had the s400 at my place and they actually NEED to be close to the wall. Passive membranes have to be coupled with flat surfaces, otherwise the best thing about them (that would be tectonic bass slam which would make many floorstanders to blush) is gone.

Buchards make large sonic image and volume, so they wouldn't be my top choice for nearfields. But if I had to put them in a room, defo close to a wall.

Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,694 of 25,603
Voxativ and many other widebanders too. The rough guideline is the same. Many people think this driver type needs one magic super-synergistic amp, but in reality it all comes down to a simple DF ratio. Even a transistor will do, but it has to have SET alike DF. We're talking 8 or 16 and not i.e. 500 or 1000.

Nope, not at all. Full-range drivers simply don't like to be pressed by amps, it limits them. On bass they're not as good as say active isobaric subs, but can be respectable.

Widebanders on dynamics are actually superior over many regular drivers. I mean, immediacy and snap you can get with widebanders, that's addictive. That's what happens when you don't have a crossover. Each time after hearing a full-range for several days, everything else seems slow, veiled and distant.

Can't agree with that in 100%, sorry! I had the s400 at my place and they actually NEED to be close to the wall. Passive membranes have to be coupled with flat surfaces, otherwise the best thing about them (that would be tectonic bass slam which would make many floorstanders to blush) is gone.

Buchards make large sonic image and volume, so they wouldn't be my top choice for nearfields. But if I had to put them in a room, defo close to a wall.

Great info. Do you have a personal recommendation for a nearfield monitor that would work well with Bakoon?

May 15, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #3,697 of 25,603
In case anyone is curious, Bakoon recommended the Soundkaos Vox 3, the designer uses Bakoon as reference in development.

Looks beautiful, and compact. 6K EUR.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/soundkaos3/

1589580183487.png

Found a video as well.. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #3,698 of 25,603

Buchardts make large sonic image and volume, so they wouldn't be my top choice for nearfields. But if I had to put them in a room, defo close to a wall.

Given your info on the Buchardts, maybe I'll still pick up a set, just not for nearfield. :)

Great info Matez!

Will look into the SoundKaos3 as well, although I'm close to pulling trigger on Harbeths. The cabinet on the Proacs are even more shallow than the Harbeths and I did like the greater choice in finishes.

May 16, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #3,699 of 25,603
Soundkaos Vox 3,

Was going to mention this one. It's considered as a step up over the already bonkers Boenicke W5. Plus Vox3 is easier on amps, so in this regard it's a better match for the Bakoon.

Will look into the SoundKaos3 as well, although I'm close to pulling trigger on Harbeths.

I'm about 99,9999% positive that these Harbeths are nowhere near what Vox3 does.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 17, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3,701 of 25,603
May 18, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #3,703 of 25,603
I've spent the past five days with the Susvara, liking a lot about it. Need to give it some more time but I'll update with some 009/Susvara impressions. It's quite an interesting matchup, they have a somewhat similar tonality/style with the 009 winning in some areas and the Susvara in others. Also should have the Woo WA33 on hand soon, and I'll update on that combo as well.

May 19, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #3,704 of 25,603
I've spent the past five days with the Susvara, liking a lot about it. Need to give it some more time but I'll update with some 009/Susvara impressions. It's quite an interesting matchup, they have a somewhat similar tonality/style with the 009 winning in some areas and the Susvara in others. Also should have the Woo WA33 on hand soon, and I'll update on that combo as well.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on Susvara.. I had the 009 and BHSE for a while last year, I think Susvara comes closest to 009 out of all non-electrostats, it's a similarly ethereal Stax experience to me except coupled w/ planar bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back