HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 16, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #3,181 of 25,674
Anyone driving them directly from a pair of schiit aegir monoblocks?

Considering the aegir for the sr1a as well. Will be nice to have a single solution for both headphones.

A pair of schiit vidar monoblocks might blow up the susvara i think?

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #3,182 of 25,674
I was actually always into the Susvara, but hearing from this thread, many here made it sound impossible to drive.

Susvaras ain't this bad. They'll go loud from many headphone amps and will sound OK. It's just that there's a significant difference in how they perform if connected to something suitable for their power hunger.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #3,183 of 25,674
Nice write-up. I share a lot of the same views on the Susvara’s. The RAAL’s in comparison sound thin next to the Susvara’s. I didn’t like their sound at all. The Susvara’s just do so many things well and is easily the best headphone in my collection.
I agree and the Susvara feels like a more natural fit too.

Susvaras ain't this bad. They'll go loud from many headphone amps and will sound OK. It's just that there's a significant difference in how they perform if connected to something suitable for their power hunger.
I am sure they scale very well with better amplification, but I think we all knew that. My point was/is that they still sound good, maybe not ideal, with modest amplification too. This is what I am sure has scared a lot of people away from considering the Susvara at all and just parked it at the SE.

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #3,185 of 25,674
Hey guys I am moving in the direction of 2 channel audio but would still be able to occasionally listen to headphones. I have 2 questions if anyone knows the answers.

1. Does the Hifiman HE adapter take anything away from the sound quality? I know its not required to use one, but I like the idea of being able to mount it to my stand permanently for aesthetics and overall cable protection with limited movement.

2. The amp I am currently looking at which has been generating some fantastic reviews is the Cambridge Audio CXA81. Anyone tried the Susvara with a Cambridge amp? Any better recommendations in that price point ($1299)?

Thanks

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #3,186 of 25,674
Has anybody compared the Prion4 to the Danacables Lazuli Nirvana (or other high-end cables)? I'm tired of the stock Susvara cable, and I want to get a better one.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #3,187 of 25,674
I'm tired of the stock Susvara cable, and I want to get a better one.

:ksc75smile:

Regardless of your aftermarket cable manufacturer choice, the Susvara cable has to go away. The more I have those cans, the more impressed I am by how much extra performance can be squeezed out of them. Not only by cable, but everything in the chain.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #3,188 of 25,674
:ksc75smile:

Regardless of your aftermarket cable manufacturer choice, the Susvara cable has to go away. The more I have those cans, the more impressed I am by how much extra performance can be squeezed out of them. Not only by cable, but everything in the chain.
Can’t be worst than the Shangri-La Jr cable right?

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #3,190 of 25,674
I take it this means none of yall have used a cambridge amp for the susvaras? Will any stereo amp work so long as the connections fit?

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #3,191 of 25,674
So here's a little shocker that I didn't expect. I'm actually able to drive my Susvara with my Cypher Labs Duet (actually it's part of my Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo -dB + Duet set). I've got it on high gain naturally and have gone up only approx 12 o'clock on the volume with still plenty of volume to spare. I have to say that it drives it well too without the Susvara sounding strained. I'm trying it single ended for the moment, but if I can come up with the right adapters soldered up, I'm gonna try it off fully balanced via the kobiconn connector, and I've just found some adapters to go from 4.4mm -> 2.5mm -> Kobiconn. Whilst not ideal, the Susvara is being driven nicely fully balanced by The Duet.

This means I'm truly able to have a portable setup with the Susvaras. Granted the CLAS -dB doesn't do DSD/DoP but that's fine.

PC190006.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #3,192 of 25,674
Apparently from the loaner tour I am next inline with the Susvara! Going to be nice. I will be driving it from my speaker tap cable and my NAD M3 which has been the only way to go for me for years. It has a dual mono design with two beefy power supplies that allow the amp to stay rock solid stable even into 4ohm loads so this will be a treat. I own the Edition X V2 and I suspect there will be a family sound very evident, but I can only guess that the Susvara will reveal an extra level of dynamics and low end prowess. I really like my HEX2 but if this impresses me it may be the next treat I allow myself to get, assuming I find work once school is finally done in the summer of 2020. I will report back to the thread after receiving and listening to this I am sure glorious sounding headphone.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #3,193 of 25,674
So here's a little shocker that I didn't expect. I'm actually able to drive my Susvara with my Cypher Labs Duet (actually it's part of my Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo -dB + Duet set). I've got it on high gain naturally and have gone up only approx 12 o'clock on the volume with still plenty of volume to spare. I have to say that it drives it well too without the Susvara sounding strained. I'm trying it single ended for the moment, but if I can come up with the right adapters soldered up, I'm gonna try it off fully balanced via the kobiconn connector, and I've just found some adapters to go from 4.4mm -> 2.5mm -> Kobiconn. Whilst not ideal, the Susvara is being driven nicely fully balanced by The Duet.

This means I'm truly able to have a portable setup with the Susvaras. Granted the CLAS -dB doesn't do DSD/DoP but that's fine.

Portable as in used portable at home, or will you take Susvaras outdoor:)?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 19, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #3,194 of 25,674
Apparently from the loaner tour I am next inline with the Susvara! Going to be nice. I will be driving it from my speaker tap cable and my NAD M3 which has been the only way to go for me for years. It has a dual mono design with two beefy power supplies that allow the amp to stay rock solid stable even into 4ohm loads so this will be a treat. I own the Edition X V2 and I suspect there will be a family sound very evident, but I can only guess that the Susvara will reveal an extra level of dynamics and low end prowess. I really like my HEX2 but if this impresses me it may be the next treat I allow myself to get, assuming I find work once school is finally done in the summer of 2020. I will report back to the thread after receiving and listening to this I am sure glorious sounding headphone.
If you're running of speaker taps, will Hifiman provide the HE-Adapter too?

Portable as in used portable at home, or will you take Susvaras outdoor:)?
Kinda both! Outside in my garden at home lying down on a recliner :D.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #3,195 of 25,674
If you're running of speaker taps, will Hifiman provide the HE-Adapter too?
No need for an adapter at all, I have been running headphones for years right from the speaker tap cable that Trevor over at Norne Audio made for me. I have driven so many different headphones with it including the HE560/400i and my current Edition X V2. You just need to use common sense and keep the volume low and adjust up. I have a system that hasn't failed to keep a headphone safe for almost 5 years now. I have even used 16ohm headphones with the M3. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back