HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 13, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3,167 of 25,670
Are there any differences from the sound perspective?

From what we can tell, no sonic differences, but not sure about finishes in early Susvara versus this year's units.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #3,168 of 25,670
cable connector in the 2019 version still 2.5mm ?

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #3,170 of 25,670
can you share a link for both headphones
23A08B5E-BB81-4736-8CDF-55B3D9310B7F.jpeg
5256627B-B128-42B8-AE53-F2AF3A9D4964.jpeg

Attachments

• E913CE5F-C3FE-4CCF-8993-62B9877F4D47.jpeg
    E913CE5F-C3FE-4CCF-8993-62B9877F4D47.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CD553ACA-F3DA-4676-B115-50EF7F69255B.jpeg
    CD553ACA-F3DA-4676-B115-50EF7F69255B.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #3,172 of 25,670
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #3,173 of 25,670
Pete having the SE and just hearing the Susvara side by side at a meet last weekend, I would say if you have the amp and the funds, get the Susvara. I was planing on doing so, but now with the mention of a Susvara Jr, I think I will wait until at least Can Jam to see if HM announces it then.
If it’s the Deva I don’t think it’s the Susvara JR. That’s a Bluetooth headphone.

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #3,175 of 25,670
If it’s the Deva I don’t think it’s the Susvara JR. That’s a Bluetooth headphone.
Even if that's not it, I may as well wait until Can Jam....2 months. At the cost of the Susvara, I guess two months is a smaller price to pay.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #3,176 of 25,670

Actually, the Deva is both a Bluetooth and wired headphone. The bluetooth module is detachable, if I'm understanding the translation. I think that is a really great idea. I'm pretty sure it is the headphone that people have been calling the Susvara JR. (Although if the $300 price is true, then I'm probably wrong.)

It is supposed to have a driver similar to the Susvara, but using different materials. Also, it must be far more sensitive for the Bluetooth module to be able to drive it. So we will have to wait to hear if it really sounds good enough to be considered a Susvara JR or not.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #3,177 of 25,670
Even if that's not it, I may as well wait until Can Jam....2 months. At the cost of the Susvara, I guess two months is a smaller price to pay.
Very true, brother. I was also thinking of that too. But, if those tariffs go through for Chinese products we may be looking at an increase.

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #3,178 of 25,670
Pete having the SE and just hearing the Susvara side by side at a meet last weekend, I would say if you have the amp and the funds, get the Susvara. I was planing on doing so, but now with the mention of a Susvara Jr, I think I will wait until at least Can Jam to see if HM announces it then.

Might I read this as an interesting way of saying you're now a Susvara convert? If so, why don't you kindly go on to describe how much better you found the Susvara to sound, as compared to the SE? I have been waiting for such comparative impressions for a while now, especially having heard at least once that the SE might be an easier to drive Susvara. From what you're saying, I take it that you do not necessarily share this latter view, right?

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #3,179 of 25,670
Might I read this as an interesting way of saying you're now a Susvara convert? If so, why don't you kindly go on to describe how much better you found the Susvara to sound, as compared to the SE? I have been waiting for such comparative impressions for a while now, especially having heard at least once that the SE might be an easier to drive Susvara. From what you're saying, I take it that you do not necessarily share this latter view, right?
I was actually always into the Susvara, but hearing from this thread, many here made it sound impossible to drive. As I mentioned earlier, I recently heard it driven by the THX 789 and it was still the best HP in the room, including an LCD 4, SE and Verite. not saying that the THX is anywhere near the ideal amp to run them, but it just proves that you don NEED a super high power amp or a speaker amp for them to sound great.

The Susvara sounded more balanced, warmer, with more full bass and superb resolution. It also has excellent imaging perhaps more 3D sounding too. The real difference between the SE and Susvara would be the tonality, with the Susvara being less bright and more "tubelike" in its sound. I would imagine the Susvara will absolutely scale better too as you add more power and a better amp. The SE is easier to drive and that is a big plus for it. This is actually the main reason I have stayed with the SE as I can use it on my portable rig too. Now the SE and Sus have the family Hifiman sound and in no way does the Susvara blow away the SE. It is better though and whether that is worth the extra dough, is down to personal taste and of course funds.

Oh and to throw this in, I do also prefer the Susvara over the RAAL. Definitely more full sounding and better tonality for me.

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #3,180 of 25,670
I was actually always into the Susvara, but hearing from this thread, many here made it sound impossible to drive. As I mentioned earlier, I recently heard it driven by the THX 789 and it was still the best HP in the room, including an LCD 4, SE and Verite. not saying that the THX is anywhere near the ideal amp to run them, but it just proves that you don NEED a super high power amp or a speaker amp for them to sound great.

The Susvara sounded more balanced, warmer, with more full bass and superb resolution. It also has excellent imaging perhaps more 3D sounding too. The real difference between the SE and Susvara would be the tonality, with the Susvara being less bright and more "tubelike" in its sound. I would imagine the Susvara will absolutely scale better too as you add more power and a better amp. The SE is easier to drive and that is a big plus for it. This is actually the main reason I have stayed with the SE as I can use it on my portable rig too. Now the SE and Sus have the family Hifiman sound and in no way does the Susvara blow away the SE. It is better though and whether that is worth the extra dough, is down to personal taste and of course funds.

Oh and to throw this in, I do also prefer the Susvara over the RAAL. Definitely more full sounding and better tonality for me.
Nice write-up. I share a lot of the same views on the Susvara’s. The RAAL’s in comparison sound thin next to the Susvara’s. I didn’t like their sound at all. The Susvara’s just do so many things well and is easily the best headphone in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back