HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #24,856 of 25,580
I think he means the original EF1000 (which IIRC was never officially released) which was created for the HE1000. There is now the EF1000DAC, which is still powerful, but not as powerful an amp as the EF1000 amp, but also features the Hifiman Hymalaya DAC modules. Couple photos of the pre revision EF1000 are below, it was then changed and updated to be the Hifiman solution for the susvara.

P1073856.jpg
Hi-Fi Man Prototype.jpg

Below is the EF1000DAC (which does 13.7w at 32ohms, vs the EF1000 amp which does 20w at 32ohms.)

HIFIMAN-EF1000DAC-3-e1682694830214.jpg
Thank you 'ufospls2' for the post with excellent photos and explanation to the original EF1000 and the now todays one we see advertised.

Yes, the 'pure' EF1000 has a separate power supply to provide pure DC linear power to the main Unit.

The recently launched EF1000DAC doesn't have a separate power supply, and has a different pre and power amp to the EF1000 and not as powerful.

My thinking between the EF1000 and the EF1000DAC is if you are going to spend this kind of big money on a TOTL Headphone System based on the Susvara, I would buy the EF1000 knowing you have a top TOTL Amp specifically for the Susvara and then buy a TOTL DAC to feed it !

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #24,857 of 25,580
What are you comparing it to, and what tube is in it?

I have one on loan this week (Tele G73 in it) as well and while I think it's a stellar amp, I'd put it in the top 2 or 3 headphone amps I've heard.
It certainly has excellent control over the Susvara drivers, possibly the most articulate mid bass I've heard from an amp.
It's just a bit too laid back, smooth and relaxed for my preferences, that could just be the tube and I do need to try it with my other DAC.
But right now I'd pretty easily take the Egoista 845 with Elrogs over it for the Susvara.
I have a G73R in it as well. What dac are you using?

For me its very engaging and vivid/lush. It has the 2nd best mid range I've heard on any amp with red october being the best and yes i agree about mid bass. Super textured

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #24,858 of 25,580
What are you comparing it to, and what tube is in it?

I have one on loan this week (Tele G73 in it) as well and while I think it's a stellar amp, I'd put it in the top 2 or 3 headphone amps I've heard.
It certainly has excellent control over the Susvara drivers, possibly the most articulate mid bass I've heard from an amp.
It's just a bit too laid back, smooth and relaxed for my preferences, that could just be the tube and I do need to try it with my other DAC.
But right now I'd pretty easily take the Egoista 845 with Elrogs over it for the Susvara.
A G73 is probably the most technically proficient and accurate tube you could put in there. If you want more bright and bite an Amperex 12AU would do that.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #24,859 of 25,580
I have a G73R in it as well. What dac are you using?
Lampizator Pacific with C3G's/242's in it, which is generally a very dynamic clean combination.
I'll move it to my other system with the TotalDAC in it for tomorrow to confirm it's not just a component mismatch issue. It shouldn't be, while Lampizator DAC's don't always like amps with low input impedance the AIC is well outside that range.

For me its very engaging and vivid/lush.
Lush I'd agree with, vivid less so.
It has good clarity for certain, but I find the relaxed nature tends to take the edge off things a bit too much, snare drums can lack snap, some male vocals can come across overly smooth for my tastes.
It's been an interest week with it, I can appreciate it for what it does, there is a lot to like.
But as of right now I'd pretty easily take the Viva in preference.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #24,861 of 25,580
Lampizator Pacific with C3G's/242's in it, which is generally a very dynamic clean combination.
I'll move it to my other system with the TotalDAC in it for tomorrow to confirm it's not just a component mismatch issue. It shouldn't be, while Lampizator DAC's don't always like amps with low input impedance the AIC is well outside that range.

Lush I'd agree with, vivid less so.
It has good clarity for certain, but I find the relaxed nature tends to take the edge off things a bit too much, snare drums can lack snap, some male vocals can come across overly smooth for my tastes.
It's been an interest week with it, I can appreciate it for what it does, there is a lot to like.
But as of right now I'd pretty easily take the Viva in preference.
This is where we differ. I don't find it relaxed..the midrange is aggressive and I used the word vivid and exciting. it is not a laid back relaxing listen on my chain, it's the opposite.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #24,862 of 25,580
This is where we differ. I don't find it relaxed..the midrange is aggressive and I used the word vivid and exciting. it is not a laid back relaxing listen on my chain, it's the opposite.
You guys seem to be describing some qualities of the DACs you use. I've neve heard a laid back sound from a DCS, and Lampizator can be a bit inherently lush.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #24,863 of 25,580
Mar 27, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #24,864 of 25,580
Lampizator can be a bit inherently lush.

While older lampizators could be a bit lush, The pacific isn’t that, and with the tubes I have in it, it skewed very much towards dynamics.
I really can’t stomach anything overly lush or warm.

Having said that, after reading the last response from DJJEZ, I just moved the amp to my other system, and it’s a completely different character, there is clearly some sort of impedance mismatch with the lampizator, or something else going on. It’s not just a bit softer it’s a different amp.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #24,865 of 25,580
While older lampizators could be a bit lush, The pacific isn’t that, and with the tubes I have in it, it skewed very much towards dynamics.
I really can’t stomach anything overly lush or warm.

Having said that, after reading the last response from DJJEZ, I just moved the amp to my other system, and it’s a completely different character, there is clearly some sort of impedance mismatch with the lampizator, or something else going on. It’s not just a bit softer it’s a different amp.
How does it sound now on ur other chain and what dac?

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #24,866 of 25,580
How does it sound now on ur other chain and what dac?

Using a TotalDAC D1 Unity in this system.
It’s very much all the strengths, I’d already noted, but without the dynamic compromises.
I’ll have to listen more, but it’s certainly top 2 headphone amps with the Viva, I probably still prefer the Viva, but I need to go back and listen to it, when I test new gear my process is very much listen to it exclusively then swap back and see what you miss. Let’s just say prior to the swap I really missed listening to the Viva, much less so now.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #24,867 of 25,580
I'm probably gonna buy this Voila cable. It gives that extra something to the Nirvana sound. That new Mannequin Pu$$y sounds so good with it. :metal: :pill:

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #24,868 of 25,580
If you’re going to drop $18,000 on a system, why not make a weekend of it and take a friend/partner with you to a city you can hear both? Then you’ll know which you like better and you will have had a lovely experience, too.
I appreciate this feedback, and I'm sure that's a good idea. Maybe I will call around to some local(ish) dealers to see if anyone has these amps on hand to try out. I could think of far worse ways to spend a day!
I have owned the EF1000 for over 2.5 years with the Susvara. I heard the Envy last September with the Susvara for just 10mins (it was a enough time for me) both connected to a Chord DAVE (that I also own). I believe the Envy was fitted with stock tubes. Both had the stock Susvara headphone cable.

To my ears, the EF1000 (with stock tubes) is far superior to the Envy (with stock tubes). The EF1000 is also a very good speaker amp too when connected to medium to high sensitivity speakers i.e. 90+ dB.
Note that the updated EF1000 was specifically re-designed and re-built for the Susvara to sound it's best by Hifiman !

If you decide to buy an EF1000, I'm sure you will be in audio nirvana with using it with the Susvara as long as you also have a very good to excellent source input to it.
The combination of the EF1000 and Susvara has an amazing scaling up ability as you go up the quality of the source input chain.

I have never tried my EF1000 with another headphone i.e. an Abyss 1266 TC for instance as never felt the need to as I am so very happy with the Susvara !
This is awesome to hear. Thanks for sharing. Looking at some of your other posts, you've provided some great thoughts on the EF1000 over the past couple of years. My other lingering question was how well the EF1000 paired with some of the other potential "end-game" headphones I've been looking at (e.g. Abyss 1266 TC, ZMF Caldera, Focal Utopia, etc). I imagine the dial on the EF1000 wouldn't be able to pass 9 o'clock with some of the more sensitive headphones, though I'm not sure if that would potentially limit their dynamics/sound?

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #24,869 of 25,580
lets stipulate the amps we are debating are all so good that it comes down to subjective judgment...I think it is safe to say if one has the envy with elrog or WE tubes it may sound different than say the Wa33 or the EF1000 etc but one is not better or worse...we are at a level where it is all great stuff..if you do not need to use speakers the new Hifiman DAC/amp is more than ample to drive the susvara I heard it for a bit at canjam

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #24,870 of 25,580
Stellaris is currently the second best 2A3 to the Studio T. Neither are ideal with planars.
"Not ideal" I would agree with - ideally I would like to have more headroom on the volume. But I still fail to hear the "weakness" or "bloat" others insist are there, it sounds very nearly as clean & controlled as it does on Bliss, but with that tubey magic on top.

Anyway, I'm just glad I don't hear the weakness in it that others do. Saves me from feeling any need to seek something "better." For now. :wink:

p.s. I do not agree to accept Stellaris as "second best" to anything, but since I can't readily get my hands on a Studio T we'll just have to agree to disagree. :wink:lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back