HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #24,828 of 25,671
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #24,829 of 25,671
I don't agree lol the HM1 smokes the 23R and it's not even close. I've owned both as well.

In the detail retrieval and refinement and driver grip it does smoke the 23R. I’d still put the 23R above the some 1-3K amps on holography and “fullness” though

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #24,830 of 25,671
Thinking of buying a TOTL cable for the Susvara, something Prion4 / Chimera / Lazuli Reference like.
If you want to sell one (because you're jumping on the Voila or so) and are inside the EU, pm me.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #24,831 of 25,671
Some summarizing observations - maybe helpful for folks recently joining this thread.
1) There is a wide spectrum of SQ preferences represented in this thread re how Susvara can and should sound. Identifying where one stands in terms of expectations and desires both in terms of FR and technicalities or dynamics and soundstage seems important to avoid over-investing in a direction that will please others but maybe not you.
2) Susvara is very responsive to being driven by topologies that deliver higher current due to its low sensitivity/mid-high impedance. This can be delivered in different ways, but the general notion is that Susvara ‘scales up’ nearly infinitely as one invests more on increasingly expensive/refined amps.
3) Arguments can and have been made that any/different elements of the audio chain matter in seeking better SQ from the Susvara.
4) There does seem to be a threshold beyond which there is general consensus that optimal SQ is achievable, at least in terms of a given group of SQ preferences, eg Feliks Envy users with ER300b upgrade tubes affirm great satisfaction and enjoyment with that set up. Similar to users of Hifiman EF1000, users of Riviera AIC. It is somewhat /sometimes difficult to know (for me, YMMV) if users in each of these groups are describing a similar SQ experience or preference
5) There is much debate re: the capacity of less expensive set-ups to produce SQ which approaches optimal SQ with less investment, using different topologies. Here I observe are users of speaker amps fed by tube pre-amps, and other topologies that seem to work well eg Schiit Mjolnir 3, but that users described in point 4 above seem to consider ‘good but not as good’ in terms of their sonic preference.
6) Some users provide A/B, back to back comparisons between different gears that provide comparisons in terms of FR, timbre, technical performance and other intangibles. A large number of gears of all types have been reported on the thread. Use of the ‘search’ bar at the top to search for these in the thread can help identify information about devices that have been ‘out there’ for a while.

As a fellow Susvara user, I appreciate all of these, though as one of somewhat limited means I find myself more under point 5 than 4. I very much appreciate and am more influenced by and would like to advocate for more A/B comparisons. But this is meant to be a safe space for all, so I enjoy and welcome all honestly and generously expressed opinions. No criticisms are intended by any of this. This is a very active thread, so there are a lot of opinions expressed just as there are a lot of preferences. Newer users/posters pls be reminded that the only person who needs to be happy and satisfied with your system and chain is you. I know this goes without saying, but I have often had to remind myself of it, so periodically it seems important to reassert on the Forum.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #24,832 of 25,671
Too warm and too soft trying to sound like a tube amp, lacking midrange and too expensive. Build quality was good though. Oor and hypsos is half the price and much prefer it but of course this is just my opinion, plenty of people love the 23R. I also prefer a more solid state sound with susvara , don't like alot of 2nd harmonics with it.
Interesting, I don't hear it being overly warm or soft, but our chains are different. Thank you.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #24,833 of 25,671
Agreed. And then you can put a 300B or 2A3 pre to it later and make it sound even better. The WA33 EE JPS or 3ES Elite as a pre to the CFA3 is a great combo, but of course it costs a ton more. Still even with the tube pre, I prefer a powerful tube amp solo over the CFA3. But, if you don't want to spend that kind of money, the CFA3 is probably the best cost/benefit ratio of any of the amps
I couldnt find a cfa3 in EU

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #24,834 of 25,671
i dont know which tier, but im enjoying a lot the burson gt with the balanced output. Now i can reach my heavy desired volume even with the quiet recordings. Soundstage has improved and when its loud it is really big, even in depth. The bass and the slam are very nice too. Maybe i ll buy an envy because i need a second amp for the summer (had a topping which was meh with arya and bad with susvara) and i would leave the burson in that house. But i could leave with only the gt very happily.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #24,836 of 25,671
Interesting, I don't hear it being overly warm or soft, but our chains are different. Thank you.
This is why when people give opinions they should always say it's their opinion and not fact as chain and synergies play such a huge role in the final sound of what your hear plus we are all using different dacs, different headphones, have different expectations and all have different ears and preferences.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #24,837 of 25,671
This is why when people give opinions they should always say it's their opinion and not fact as chain and synergies play such a huge role in the final sound of what your hear plus we are all using different dacs, different headphones, have different expectations and all have different ears and preferences.
That's why I mentioned that our chains are different. I guess we're in agreement there?

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #24,838 of 25,671
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #24,839 of 25,671
But maybe you would listen to my chain and agree im right when i say mine is the best? ... And if I just happen to be right, wouldnt there be a chance everyone else was right too :) Then you would be the minority :) :p

All joking aside, we have to give credence to those who have played summit fi... They might have owned most mentioned and be commenting on the cheapest way to get to 90% of summit-fi. Which is good enough for me. I think we all accept that its subjective opinion.

Of course, they would all agree when i say Elrog and CV6 are untouchable, 'innit eh?

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #24,840 of 25,671
I would add the Trafomatic Primavera to the 'God tier' as well.
I’m not sure if this is a long shot, but has anyone had the luxury of listening to both the Feliks Audio Envy and the Hifiman EF1000 with the Susvara?

I was originally set on the Envy after reading the nearly unanimous glowing reviews with upgraded tubes. However, now I’m pondering a bit about the EF1000. Thanks Head-Fi!

Envy performance walnut ($9000) + WE 300b ($1500) + Elrog 300b-Mo ($3000) + Hifiman Susvara open box ($4500) = $18000 USD

Hifiman EF1000 + Susvara combo = $18000 USD

I’d appreciate any input. Otherwise, I’ll probably end up “playing it safe” and getting the Envy given all the positive feedback on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back