HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #22,366 of 25,728
Hey everyone, I have discovered in the past week that I prefer the HE1000SE over my Susvara! (yet I think Susvara is still a "better" headphone)

So let's go over what I have discovered, comparing HEKSE and Susvara, and those two with other headphones I own! (and hopefully help others with their purchasing decisions)

Chain: line out from dx320 ROHM DAC (using modded amp12exn-s) -> iFi iCan Signature (the "low end" not "upper end" for Susvara) -> stock cable (just for testing)
Sonic preferences: I like the instruments and vocals to shine, but really need a strong yet tight bass punch. I am not a Harman adherer, but I find it works well for my taste. Mostly listen to pop, hiphop, & soundtracks in JP>KR>EN>ZH>ES>HI.

Use case: This is my WFH setup, where music helps me get work done, aka I don't want a headphone just good for critical listening (if only I could make time for that haha). Needs to be comfortable enough that I can work with it all day, every day of the week!

Note about EQ: I prefer not to EQ, less changing of sound the better IMO. But, at least for HEKSE, it does seem to unlock huge latent potential as we will see later.

Comfort: For me, Susvara is slightly more comfortable, since the HEKSE cup reaches to my jaw. Also note that I had to add a ZMF pad to my HEKSE since the smallest head notch wasn't small enough for me... (Susvara smallest notch was just small enough)

And finally the sound discussion, I will break it down into 3 parts:
No EQ:
-Let me get this out of the way first: without EQ, I 100% always prefer Susvara over HEKSE. HEKSE treble is too much, while Susvara tone is great. That being said, HEKSE does have a bit larger soundstage which some may prefer for certain genres of music.

EQ HEKSE to "Susvara neutral":
-Sadly this is a very similar story, I almost always find Susvara just slightly better than HEKSE. The detail is very slightly higher, but the real improvement is in the tone. The HEKSE tone is by no means bad however, if I were to rank the headphones I own in tone, it would be like: ZMF Atrium >> Susvara >> HEKSE >> Utopia >> LCD-5(EQ).
-Important note for later: Susvara slams just as hard as HEKSE with my setup

EQ bass boost (mostly sub-bass) on both:
-When I EQ HEKSE to Susvara with added bass (curve reaching peak ~50 hz and starting at ~200hz), Susvara seems to just add more "bloat", and doesn't deliver any additional rumble. In the end, I preferred Susvara with a very minimal EQ to bass, any more and I wasn't getting results
-To my extreme surprise, when I EQ'd HEKSE with a bass boost, it actually delivered! It was a STRONG yet CLEAN bass rumble.(I wouldn't call it "punchy" like say a Utopia)
-Comparing the Susvara (not really boosted) vs HEKSE (very boosted), it was about 50/50 on which headphone I preferred for my tracks. However when I preferred HEKSE, I REALLY preferred the bass rumble HEKSE was giving, and a bit bigger soundstage! On the other hand, when I preferred Susvara, it was just a bit better than HEKSE in technicalities and tone.
-Overall, ignoring price, I find HEKSE (bass boosted) a better headphone for me! That being said, Susvara is almost always the better headphone if you don't need the level of bass boost I wanted.

Now how would I compare Susvara and my EQ'd HEKSE with my other headphones?
LCD 5 (EQ):
Going to rewrite this

Utopia:
Actually do find it improves with EQ, but must be careful to avoid driver clipping. Honestly completely different sound to the Hifimans: naturally punchy without boosted bass. Details not on par to the Hifimans, but still very good in a much smaller headstage. Again, I think an EQ'd HEKSE is a better comparison to Utopia, since Susvara can't ever deliver that "fun". I personally think both HEKSE and Atriums destroy the utopia each for their own reasons. HEKSE can rumble much more with EQ, and plays with better technicalities. Atriums on the other hand has a smidge less details, but the tone is incredibly natural and plays with incredible note weight. But, if you really like that "fun" punchiness without a boosted bass, Utopias may be for you.

Atrium Open:
On another level tonally, but details below Susvara and HEKSE (just below utopia). I've never heard a headphone with such great note weight yet maintain incredible technicalities. For me it's a keeper headphone, and an incredible compliment to any of the planers I've tried!

In a price agnostic conclusion, if you want the best mids and don't plan on elevating bass, just get an Susvara. If you want amazing mids but want to add a EQ bass shelf, somehow HEKSE delivers...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #22,367 of 25,728
So, I did some A/B with my WA33 Elite JPS and CFA 3 (with the 3ES Elite as a preamp) with the Susvaras. The CFA3 is definitely missing some soundstage depth compared to the WA33. The dynamics are a bit better on the CFA 3, but I miss the 3D sound the WA33 provides. The CFA3 sounds maybe cleaner, more sterile (but not in a bad way). Other than dynamics, the WA33 appears to be better at nearly everything else.

Once I get my TCs back from repair on Monday, I will see how they sound out of the CFA 3. I'm super excited to try them out.
I have used cfa3 and wa33 (SE) a bunch with susvara. I did use wa33 as a pre into cfa3 and it was powerful and sounded very good but it wasn't the most appealing to me. I liked wa33 as a pre into ahb2 much more. I think i liked cfa3 alone even more than cfa3 in the chain.

I believe while cfa3 is detailed, it's not quite as detailed as wa33. While cfa3 is clean, it's not as clean as ahb2. It adds a very slight warmth.

So my theory is when you have wa33 into cfa3, it takes away some of the details of wa33, which can be detrimental to its 3d imaging. wa33 has a little bit a sweetness to it (the elite version, i heard, has even more sweetness than SE), but when cfa3 added more warmth, it may tip the scale too much.

When I had wa33 into ahb2, it preserved the exact sound signature of wa33. Not slightly warmer; not slightly brighter; exactly the same. But, it adds a ton of power to that sound, which brings out the details, the body, the bass that much more. It gives you a supercharged wa33 sound.

IMG_1625.jpeg

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #22,368 of 25,728
I have used cfa3 and wa33 (SE) a bunch with susvara. I did use wa33 as a pre into cfa3 and it was powerful and sounded very good but it wasn't the most appealing to me. I liked wa33 as a pre into ahb2 much more. I think i liked cfa3 alone even more than cfa3 in the chain.

I believe while cfa3 is detailed, it's not quite as detailed as wa33. While cfa3 is clean, it's not as clean as ahb2. It adds a very slight warmth.

So my theory is when you have wa33 into cfa3, it takes away some of the details of wa33, which can be detrimental to its 3d imaging. wa33 has a little bit a sweetness to it (the elite version, i heard, has even more sweetness than SE), but when cfa3 added more warmth, it may tip the scale too much.

When I had wa33 into ahb2, it preserved the exact sound signature of wa33. Not slightly warmer; not slightly brighter; exactly the same. But, it adds a ton of power to that sound, which brings out the details, the body, the bass that much more. It gives you a supercharged wa33 sound.

IMG_1625.jpeg
Supercharged WA33 sounds very appealing. Now that you have mentioned it, I do agree that the CFA3 chain may add a bit too much warmth to the Susvaras, as I noticed them not sounding as cold as they did previously. I like the “cold” sound of the Susvaras out of the WA33 solo (it goes really well with the type of metal I like to listen to). I may have to look into the ahb2.

Oct 2, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #22,369 of 25,728
I'm happy to lend you my AHB2 for a demo. You may need to get some speaker tap to XLR adapter though..
Supercharged WA33 sounds very appealing. Now that you have mentioned it, I do agree that the CFA3 chain may add a bit too much warmth to the Susvaras, as I noticed them not sounding as cold as they did previously. I like the “cold” sound of the Susvaras out of the WA33 solo (it goes really well with the type of metal I like to listen to). I may have to look into the ahb2.

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #22,370 of 25,728
I'm happy to lend you my AHB2 for a demo. You may need to get some speaker tap to XLR adapter though..
Awesome. Thanks! I’ll reach out later. I appreciate it!

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #22,371 of 25,728
Both CMA and soundnews said if you run the Susvara off the AHB2 you get significantly better crosstalk and slam with two of them in dual mono mode, maybe something to consider.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #22,373 of 25,728
My SoulNote A2 is currently only used for headphone duties. Mostly serves the Susvara and also works well with HD6XX. The Soulnote is generally a fast and transparent amp. I have demo-ed the SoulNote A2 at the dealer multiple times and generally, 1 unit is powerful enough for bookshelf speakers. You may want to get a second unit so it will function as a mono-block mode for a larger floor-standing speaker setup.
Where are (or were) you at on the dial with Susvara on the a2 ?

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #22,374 of 25,728
Oct 5, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #22,375 of 25,728
Hi guys,

Just acquired a Sus but I have a small problem (maybe Hifiman QC related) : I have springy/metalic noise in the left driver when I move even the slightest ? I'm talking without the music.

I thought some spring was not lubricated enough but when I tap the left grill slighty, it sounds like the driver itself is flexing/vibrating.

If I lightly press the headphone on my head (a very light pressure just like when I put it on my head), the left driver makes significantly more noise than the right driver. I had a similar problem with an LCDX I had to RMA'd but it didn't make noise when I didn't touch it, I had to put some pressure. After the RMA, the LCD drivers were so tight, no more noise even with a bit of pressure. Should my headphones go back to hifiman ?

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #22,376 of 25,728
Hi guys,

Just acquired a Sus but I have a small problem (maybe Hifiman QC related) : I have springy/metalic noise in the left driver when I move even the slightest ? I'm talking without the music.

I thought some spring was not lubricated enough but when I tap the left grill slighty, it sounds like the driver itself is flexing/vibrating.

If I lightly press the headphone on my head (a very light pressure just like when I put it on my head), the left driver makes significantly more noise than the right driver. I had a similar problem with an LCDX I had to RMA'd but it didn't make noise when I didn't touch it, I had to put some pressure. After the RMA, the LCD drivers were so tight, no more noise even with a bit of pressure. Should my headphones go back to hifiman ?
Contact Hifiman support and they should have it fixed for you if its still in warranty.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #22,377 of 25,728
Hi guys,

Sounds like an RMA issue for sure. Mine have never done this- there is no such noise touching , flexing, donning, doffing or playing music. Something is off.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #22,378 of 25,728
So no noise when moving around, and no cracking, and 0 flexing of the driver if you push very lightly the headphones ?

Well, Hifiman RMA, here I comes then ^^

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #22,379 of 25,728
If the Susvara is brand new, slight crinkling noise is normal. Do hard burn-in for 30h or so and it goes away. It is stated in multiple reviews when the reviewer had a brand new unit, like Currawong. I had the same "issue", alongside many other people.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #22,380 of 25,728
If the Susvara is brand new, slight crinkling noise is normal. Do hard burn-in for 30h or so and it goes away. It is stated in multiple reviews when the reviewer had a brand new unit, like Currawong. I had the same "issue", alongside many other people.
It's a 1 year old unit, so burnin is done for a long time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back